Thread: D.C. Police Complaints Board, MPD need Fourth Amendment refresher for home invasions

D.C. Police Complaints Board, MPD need Fourth Amendment refresher for home invasions

"The board said it routinely receives complaints about officers entering homes — the complaints comprise nearly 14 percent of all those received since 2009 — and recommends the department should write a general order clarifying the exigent circumstances that would justify a warrantless search.

“Providing better training and developing a general order on warrantless entries for officers will aid them in carrying out their duties all the while protecting the rights of the public,” said Philip K. Eure, director of the Office of Police Complaints."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...id-unlawful-h/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Founder's Club Member
    Haha!! No mention of reinstituting trespass penalties against cops who enter homes without legal authority.

According to Roger Roots at one time in this country, double damages and sometimes triple damages were awarded for searches without probable cause. Including the magistrate who issued a warrant without genuine probable cause.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Haha!! No mention of reinstituting trespass penalties against cops who enter homes without legal authority.

According to Roger Roots at one time in this country, double damages and sometimes triple damages were awarded for searches without probable cause. Including the magistrate who issued a warrant without genuine probable cause.
    Haha! That's why I filed a notice of trespass with local and state governments. Now, no government employees come on my land -- if they do they know they'll be shot if resisting arrest.

Why wait the for gov't to write a policy ... most states allow for notices to be filed so the relief is already there.

And I have not suffered any consequences from my various notices (except to keep these vultures off my land).

Its a good thing.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Haha! That's why I filed a notice of trespass with local and state governments. Now, no government employees come on my land -- if they do they know they'll be shot if resisting arrest.

Why wait the for gov't to write a policy ... most states allow for notices to be filed so the relief is already there.

And I have not suffered any consequences from my various notices (except to keep these vultures off my land).

Its a good thing.
    Well, yes. But, thank you for making my point--you had to file notices. In times past there was no nonsense about notices. Commit a trespass by searching without authority (probable cause), and pay for it, prior notice or no prior notice. And, the DC complaints board isn't even in the ballpark on that one.

If readers will just familiarize themselves with the actual history of the Bill of Rights--not the rights themselves, but how we got the list of amendments--they will quickly understand why there are virtually no penalties for government violating rights.

Think about it. Every collected e-mail or phone call searched for key words--each instance!--would be an offense. The perps would never get out of jail. Every time a cop enters a home without clear authority he pays big or goes to jail. The number of instances would dwindle fast, no?
    Last edited by Citizen; 06-13-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post

Its a good thing.
    You can do that? And how would that work. I mean getting the government to allow trespass on government employees. I like the idea.