Thread: Bushmaster CEO reflects on Newtown shooting Its easy to blame an inanimate object'

Bushmaster CEO reflects on Newtown shooting Its easy to blame an inanimate object'

"George Kollitides, the CEO of Freedom Group, which owns Bushmaster, was blamed by some as being complicit in the killings. He has not commented on the controversy, until now.' http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ts-on-newtown/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

It's easy to blame an object for a injury, a gun for a death.
    Yet we do not blame the car for the drunk driver.
    The spoon for being obese.
    The pencil for swearing.
    The mirror for how we look.
    The rock for the stoning of innocents by Muslims.
    So why is it we wish to blame the gun for all of our crimes, is it because in the hands of the law abiding it also is a tool of safety, of revolution, of security and they fear us.....

What's even better is that in probably 1% of homicides, the gun actually did kill someone. More often than not, they die because of a bullet. Not the gun. So if people want to get all uppity and factual against guns (which, obviously they don't), guns rarely kill someone (blunt force trauma).

This would be construed by antis as an absurd argument, but really, did the gun kill? No. A projectile travelling at 1000fps+ kills.

Banned
    I already provided my state legislatures with testimony outlying the people & reason most responsible for the newtown killings: its the government.

but they'll never admit it

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    What's even better is that in probably 1% of homicides, the gun actually did kill someone. More often than not, they die because of a bullet. Not the gun. So if people want to get all uppity and factual against guns (which, obviously they don't), guns rarely kill someone (blunt force trauma).

This would be construed by antis as an absurd argument, but really, did the gun kill? No. A projectile travelling at 1000fps+ kills.
    and where did that projectile come from, did it fall from space as an act of God, or did a Human out of evil and malevolence interact with an otherwise inanimate object to cause harm....

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    and where did that projectile come from, did it fall from space as an act of God, or did a Human out of evil and malevolence interact with an otherwise inanimate object to cause harm....
    The point he was making is that it wasn't the "gun" that killed the person, it was the projectile. Now you might be trying to argue that the projectile was fired from the gun, but then if you continue that, the gun only fired the projectile because the person pulled the trigger. So either it is the person's fault for the death or the projectile's fault. Only way the gun kills a person is if it is used as an expensive club.

Naturally it is the person's fault unless there was some crazy accident and the gun magically went off (always "possible" but highly improbable), but when blaming an inanimate object people like to blame the incorrect one for which item killed the person.

Banned
    Good, serious explanation that makes the point clear. It is unfortunate that you had to get that technical. The original humorous approach was very well done.

Can I make the point more succinctly? For those who would argue the point, I, and the original humorist, are being sarcastic.

Guns don't kill people. Bullets kill people.