• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If you did not have a permit, how many minutes did your NCIC take to proceed?

Scvette

I spent so many years dealing with NCIC, it is almost automatic to post that instead of NICS. But NCIC functions at a alarmingly better and more efficient then NICS, and they use the same arrest or conviction records. There has to be a level of incompetence that one can be clear on one system, and have delays on the other. As I suspected it seems the same people are consistently getting delayed, so the claims that it is minor is not true if on the receiving end. If the government can't fix it, to treat all citizens the same, it needs to go.

I had a denial one time,I couldn't pursue it as I had to leave for work for a few months,when I got back I went to buy another pistol,it took a bunch of retrys to get it through,but after about 15 minutes they got the proceed. Now about 2 months ago I went and tried to get 2 stripped lowers,this was on a Thursday morning,so I get another delay,no biggie I thought,they said call back on Sat and see if they heard anything,so sat still nothing,I decide to wait and see if they call me,nope they don't,so I go there on a Wednesday,they see me,still no reply,so they try to run it again,comes back delay,so they type it in that its been 5 days and they give me the 2 lowers,off I go. So I'm back at work in a remote location,and I'm talking to my wife and she tells me she was checking the messages on the phone and I have a call from AtF,they want me to call,so I call the agent and he asks me if I bought 2 lowers and do I still have them,I tell him I do,he then tells me that NICS gave me a denial,he said ATF lawyers are talking to FBI lawyers about my situation,told me I'm not in trouble but I might have to get them out of my name,told me he would get back to me in a couple weeks,so I wait,kinda freaking out a little bit. A lil side note,I did have an issue 30yrs ago but my rights have been restored for 26yrs. So he calls me and tells me in his eyes I'm not a prohibited person and he was closing the case. The one thing he did say was,I'm good in the Feds eyes,good in Ak where I was in trouble along time ago,but in Wa state where I live now,that's why it was flagged,so I am having a lawyer do everything to get my rights restored in Wa. I do have a Wa cpl and a Utah CWP. It's going to cost my 1800 to get this all done,should be done by the end of next week though.

ShootinRugers

The last several years pretty much instant unless the FFL was backed up or the system was down.

The first 5 years after I retired from the military I was delayed every time; the last delay was for 5 days. I never could find out why? Just rolled with the punches.

FreeInAZ

The last several years pretty much instant unless the FFL was backed up or the system was down.

The first 5 years after I retired from the military I was delayed every time; the last delay was for 5 days. I never could find out why? Just rolled with the punches.

IIRC a delay not followed up within 3 business days after it was sent to the FFL is basically the same as approved, and the FFL may complete the transaction. Most decent FFL's know this. NICS is very busy with the huge upswing in purchases. If you are flagged for review it takes a human to review the flag - I know police who have been delayed. Delays seem to be becoming more frequent IMHO. Remember you can be flagged if you have a similar name as a felon etc... Joe Smith v Jo Smith and are close in locale, age, race & so on. :rolleyes:

ron73440

I bought my pistol at a gun show and not knowing a lot about them and always hearing about the "gun show loophole", I was surprised when I had to fill out a PPP(pistol purchase permit). It irritated me, but I really wanted the Baby Eagle, so I did it. It took about 90 minutes and I was able to pick it up.

I decided after that I would never buy a new gun again, all of my prior purchases had been from buddies at work.

DamnYankeeOk

A coworker got delayed. He had to wait the 3 days to pick his up. This was about a month after receiving his carry permit.

ShootinRugers

IIRC a delay not followed up within 3 business days after it was sent to the FFL is basically the same as approved, and the FFL may complete the transaction. Most decent FFL's know this. NICS is very busy with the huge upswing in purchases. If you are flagged for review it takes a human to review the flag - I know police who have been delayed. Delays seem to be becoming more frequent IMHO. Remember you can be flagged if you have a similar name as a felon etc... Joe Smith v Jo Smith and are close in locale, age, race & so on. :rolleyes:

Maybe similar name or something. I don't know when I filled out the paperwork I was told to come back in 5 days. I do know when I moved to Ohio after retiring, for about the first 5 years just about everything I did was a hassle. It took me two days get an Ohio drivers license.

beebobby

Seems like every other time I buy or tranfer a gun I have a delay. I recently had to return an SP101 .22 to Ruger due to an extraction issue and when the FFL ran it, there was no delay. I wish MO would get that system where if you have a CCW, you can skip the NICS.

Fallschirjmäger

I usually have to do between two and four a day. NOT counting the time it takes to walk over, dial the number, and recite the pertinent information to the nice robot-voice person on the other end* the delay is all the time it takes to for them to say, "The NTN for this transaction is A-Alpha, Six, N-November, Three, Dash, B-Boy, 7, L-Lima."
Sometimes we get a "This transaction requires further review" and a transfer to another agent. That usually adds a minute or three. A delay happens about once a month and I think we've had one "Denied" in the last half decade.

* Humorously said, but they DO have a script and any faltering from the script gets a "I apologize ..." and a restatement or "my options are ..." when you say pistol instead of handgun or long arm instead of long gun.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Seems like every other time I buy or tranfer a gun I have a delay. I recently had to return an SP101 .22 to Ruger due to an extraction issue and when the FFL ran it, there was no delay. I wish MO would get that system where if you have a CCW, you can skip the NICS.

It has nothing to do with MO, it has to do whether the feds accept a MO permit/license as acceptable to be used in place of a NICS check.

eye95

I usually have to do between two and four a day. NOT counting the time it takes to walk over, dial the number, and recite the pertinent information to the nice robot-voice person on the other end* the delay is all the time it takes to for them to say, "The NTN for this transaction is A-Alpha, Six, N-November, Three, Dash, B-Boy, 7, L-Lima."
Sometimes we get a "This transaction requires further review" and a transfer to another agent. That usually adds a minute or three. A delay happens about once a month and I think we've had one "Denied" in the last half decade.

* Humorously said, but they DO have a script and any faltering from the script gets a "I apologize ..." and a restatement or "my options are ..." when you say pistol instead of handgun or long arm instead of long gun.

Using NICS e-checks are a lot easier. Check into it.

And it is FAST.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

If me not speak good engrish, will that be making problem? I do want gun and am good without crime.

Fallschirjmäger

If me not speak good engrish, will that be making problem? I do want gun and am good without crime.
No must speak you good English. Read English you must.
(I can barely get by in Korean, but since I learned the alphabet I can read (well, pronounce) it perfectly. I've no idea What I'm reading, but I'm told I can say ****! perfectly. :cuss:

Last edited by a moderator: