Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Old West Style

Open Carry Old West Style

Well, since the thread on ocing a Ruger .44 Blackhawk got locked, a little arbitrarily I might add, I'm gonna put this topic up for discussion. I was going to post to that thread, and hopefully add something to the discussion just as it was closed.

So: Who here carries a revolver for OC or whatnot, and what kinda rig do you use? Pics welcome, if available.

I carry an Uberti .45 SA, on a cartridge loop belt, with an 8 inch Bowie on the other hip to balance the weight. If I'm feeling ornery, I'll carry my BP Walker on my right hip, with my BP army .44 on my left, ambidextrous draw. I do carry my 1911, but only when I'm dressed nice and in mixed company.

I do not wish to get into the irritating argument of modern guns vs. aesthetic guns. It's pointless, and I bet I'm more capable with my 'antiques' than most are with their high tech, newfangled, plastic, ugly POS'. ;p

In addition to that, I still don't understand why some people feel the need to arm themselves as if they might suddenly encounter a ninja army. I mean, six is plenty, twelve is a lot, and when you have a modern semi, with two, three, or more additional magazines, you're starting to be paranoid about an impending zombie apocalypse. I personally only carry as a political statement or simply because I want to carry a gun. Because I'm an ass, and really don't care what people think. I think that those who feel the need to arm themselves to the hilt, and especially those who denigrate the people who choose lesser or no arms, to be paranoid to the point of missing the purpose of life. I'd rather life happily for one day, than to live 100 years - every day in fear for my life. Death will come when it comes.

Rant aside, I really am curious to see what six-shooters people carry. Or one-shooters, if that's your thing. I love the old west, and like whenever I get to see the modern incarnation. I apologize
    for the lack of pictures on my part, I'll have to get my wife to take a couple this weekend if we get a chance.

Post away!

I was sorry to see that thread go the way it did, but I agree with you completely.

I carry two 1851 Navies, one is a 5.5 inch cartridge conversion 38 special that is extremely accurate. The backup is a avenging angel with a 3 inch barrel cap and ball. The cartridge loops on the belt are more for nostalgia, there is no speed loading a gated revolver. Though I do carry a spare cylinder for the avenging angel, I also carry a 45/70 case converted into a wedge puller in a cartridge loop. Considering the belt is already heavy I stopped carrying my custom knife for a N10 Opinel knife, it only weighs a couple ounces. Holsters are not western, both in the style Tom Threepersons, one strong side, and one crossdraw.

Like you on some days I just carry my 1911, but since I do not carry a bug with it, I put the fixed blade knife on the belt.

Yea Yea I know it is the Colorado thread, but I love my old guns. Even my wife has taken to carrying my old Star Super instead of her shiny snub nose.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo Jack
    since the thread on ocing a Ruger .44 Blackhawk got locked, a little arbitrarily I might add
    You're welcome to start your own site & make your own rules.
    The moderators usually aren't horribly arbitrary & capricious, and often give warning, or it's very obvious that rules have been broken.

Here's irony:
    I carry an Uberti .45 SA, on a cartridge loop belt, with an 8 inch Bowie on the other hip to balance the weight.
    If I'm feeling ornery, I'll carry my BP Walker on my right hip, with my BP army .44 on my left, ambidextrous draw.
    I still don't understand why some people feel the need to arm themselves as if they might suddenly encounter a ninja army...
    I think that those who feel the need to arm themselves to the hilt... to be paranoid

six is plenty, twelve is a lot
    Given that under stress even well-trained officers miss with half their shots,
    and given that it's rare to have a 1-shot stop,
    having 6 rounds might stop 1 attacker and having 12 rounds might stop 2.
    For an attacker who's on drugs, all 6 might not do enough damage in time to save yourself.
    (And for those in more rural areas, how many shots does it take to stop a 4-legged predator?)

Have you read news stories about mob attacks across the country?
    http://violentflashmobs.com/
    http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/h...g-up-across-us

Have you read news stories about the "knockout king" "game"?
    http://acpionline.com/2012/10/29/knockout-king/
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45783310/n...andom-victims/
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/24...knockout-king/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-country.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

I occasionally carry my 7.5" Vaquero .45 in a Western belt and holster, and when attending a rally or group walk, including downtown Las Vegas, I often make a point to wear this rig.

This is actually one of the few times I'm carrying extra ammunition, as it is a full cartridge loop belt.

My most often carried OC piece is a double-action revolver, a S&W 625 4" .45 ACP in Milt Sparks shark skin.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

For the answer on a four legged predator, while charging it took one bullet to stop. The second to end his suffering. And a charging pit bull is moving faster than a larger person. But then I have hit rabbits on the run with one shot, last year shot a possum in the middle of a fight with my dog, one shot. And that was not with a magnum, not even close to one. When I felt better before the heart attacks I hiked with a single shot rifle where bears were common. Had a friend who shot a bear charging his son and dropped the bear with one shot from a 5.56 which is not known as a reliable bear stopper.

You can't get much more stress than a charging bear or pitbull. This isn't from years of training either, I learned to shoot accurately under stress by my fathers common sense teaching. It is nothing more than a matter of self control and discipline that can be taught to anyone. Maybe some people need more shots than the OP or I, that should not direct how we carry.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 06-15-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I occasionally carry my 7.5" Vaquero .45 in a Western belt and holster, and when attending a rally or group walk, including downtown Las Vegas, I often make a point to wear this rig.

This is actually one of the few times I'm carrying extra ammunition, as it is a full cartridge loop belt.

My most often carried OC piece is a double-action revolver, a S&W 625 4" .45 ACP in Milt Sparks shark skin.
    I wish I had a 45 Smith, I'm jealous...
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Make gal:

I have no interest in starting my own forum. As this is an open carry forum, I should assume it would suffice.

I say arbitrarily because there was an active discussion going, on (basically) the OP's topic. Maybe a little name-calling and the like, but it was a discussion nonetheless. Either party could have opted out if they felt the need to do so. There was no one-sided slandering.

I really don't care about these statistics. If one cared to research the town I live in, they'd find a tiny little place, not even worth mentioning. The only crime worth mentioning in the last 10 years was a bar fight where a guy got stabbed.

It only takes one shot to kill a bear. Ask the two that tried to eat my dog.

If a person wishes to carry an arsenal, fine with me. I've just become tired of those who put down us who do not.

I rarely carry, and have only done so twice for actual protection. I am not afraid of life, and I'm gonna die sooner or later. Why spend my life in fear?

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo Jack View Post
    Make gal:
    Sorry MKE Gal, typed this on my phone and then couldn't fix it. The wife kicked me off the computer. I apologize profusely...

Alamo I am not sure you are the same, but I am deliberate. That is one of the things my father taught me, he was the best shot I ever saw, outside the people like Munden. I drive a vehicle the same way, it has kept me out of several accidents. And I sure as heck ride a motorcycle by the same process. Anytime a situation turns south it takes self control, to maintain a level head. And being the fastest is not always best. No reason to dilly dally, but to make those shots takes being able to maintain focus, and keep breathing, while keeping a level head. The very design of a SA revolver makes thinking imperative, or being very well trained in their use. My father was the most level headed man I have ever known, I am glad he gave me a sliver of his wisdom.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Alamo I am not sure you are the same, but I am deliberate.
    Not quite sure I follow you, WW. I am a very deliberate person, in the careful sense. But no, I am not afraid. I avoid conflict and danger, but do not fear it. I think I do not quite understand what you're trying to say. Care to elaborate?

I think you are talking about accuracy and not chucking lead, are you not? It is true, from what I have personally seen, that when your shots are limited, you tend to place them quite a bit more carefully, even under stress.

I think you are talking about accuracy and not chucking lead, are you not? It is true, from what I have personally seen, that when your shots are limited, you tend to place them quite a bit more carefully, even under stress.
    It is about self control, and not losing those basic principles that control accuracy. And yes when you know you have only six, or only a double barrel, or a single shot, you take a breath and make them count. But the philosophy is not just shooting, it works with all times in life when the SHTF, getting exited is not the way to survive.

Maybe if you are a NASCAR fan that will help~~the car in the lead at the beginning of the race, or even the fastest car is not always the recipient of the checkered flag. Not actually a NASCAR fan, but I thought it was a good way to explain it. Or another would be my father again when I was very young. I was riding with on a ice run for the farm when he stopped at a intersection in the city. He was approached by a thug with a knife demanding money. My father calmly reached up for the ice tongs and clocked him on the head, then drove calmly to the police station to report it. Not once did he get excited.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 06-15-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Not once did he get exited.
    I'm glad for that.

Sorry, just had to.

But in all seriousness, I do agree with you. The calmer head does prevail. When in a stressful situation, it is best to think before acting.

I've come across this a few times, only in words. A carefully chosen comment goes a lot farther than one spoken in haste.

I'm glad for that.

Sorry, just had to.

But in all seriousness, I do agree with you. The calmer head does prevail. When in a stressful situation, it is best to think before acting.

I've come across this a few times, only in words. A carefully chosen comment goes a lot farther than one spoken in haste.
    Thanks I went back and fixed it. But yes you get exactly what I am talking about.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

And a charging pit bull is moving faster than a larger person.
    Man! You're not kidding!
    My Wife and I had the pleasure of getting charged at by a huge American Bulldog while taking our dog outside for a potty run. Thing came out of nowhere from across the street at a full run at us. Thankfully, I had my .45 XDm and my 1000 lumen flashlight. After drawing with pistol and light, activating the light straight in it's face and screaming, "STOP!!!" it turned and ran like hell. About scared us all to death. Glad I didn't have to fire, too.

Dog's owner got QUITE the butt-chewing, and got rid of the dog the next day.
    Why do I have a bar in my home? Because it's cheaper to stock a bar than to get a DUI.

I carry (a lot) a 4.75" Traditions .45LC. I say "to each their own". I carry it because I like the looks of the old west pistols. It also offers plenty of fire power. If you can't get it done in 6 rounds, then you should probably not be shooting anywhere that there is a crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by got_heat View Post
    I carry (a lot) a 4.75" Traditions .45LC. I say "to each their own". I carry it because I like the looks of the old west pistols. It also offers plenty of fire power. If you can't get it done in 6 rounds, then you should probably not be shooting anywhere that there is a crowd.
    Unless they don't go down with 6 rounds:
    http://www.policeone.com/police-hero...mo-on-the-job/
    http://www.lawofficer.com/article/tr...er-soulis-inci
    http://www.policemag.com/channel/pat...08/page/2.aspx

My friends dad dropped a charging black bear with a .22Mag revolver, 1 shot, but on the other hand, my uncle shot 14 times at a white tail deer before it died. The deer had 7 bullets in it, and several more where it was obvious that the bullet went right through.

Sometimes 6 is plenty, sometimes it's not nearly enough.
    Rand Paul 2016

It's nice to see that I'm not the only person around here who likes to carry classic guns. I'd have a meet and greet/target pistol shoot out at my place if I didn't live out here in the middle of nowhere.

As far as needing more rounds, I personally couldn't care less if someone wants to have lots of firepower. More power to you, literally. I just don't feel the need for it, myself. Plus, I like the feel of a good old SA revolver, much for the same reason I wear a jean jacket and my old beat up golf cap. Feels good...

Like I said "to each their own". I don't think one should be condescending on another based on what type/size gun they carry.

Experiences of LEOs do not bear much weight on what non-LEOs are likely to encounter. You could probably drop two orders of magnitude for us.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

LAC do not attempt to apprehend bank robbers, or investigate suspicious vehicles. Maybe if we could have some cites of LAC involved in double digit ammo firefights with bad guys.

I'll have to dig but seems to me a LAC OCer stopped a armed robbery, where a clerk was shot, with a (gasp) SA revolver. I think it happened in Virginia.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 07-03-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

SAs were doing the job LONG before any of the others came around.

BTW, had the ole hog leg on last night at the Wal~Mart in Fountain!
    Last edited by got_heat; 07-03-2013 at 10:34 AM.

Banned
    It only takes one shot to kill a bear. Ask the two that tried to eat my dog.
    Sure it was not a cop in disguise?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Experiences of LEOs do not bear much weight on what non-LEOs are likely to encounter. You could probably drop two orders of magnitude for us.
    The point is not everyone stops when they've been shot multiple times. I agree with you, it's not likely to happen, but it can happen.

I remember an article in a gun magazine years ago (prior to the '94 AWB going into effect), where some campers ended up in a gun fight with some bad guys (had claimed to be lost, but came back later to rob or kill them).
    Fortunately the campers had their "assault rifles" with them, and had several "high-cap" mags loaded. I don't remember what happened to the bad guys, if they were killed, wounded, or eventually apprehended by the campers, but they had said in the article that if it wasn't for the "high cap" mags, they probably would have been dead because they would have ran out of ammo.
    Rand Paul 2016

Carry a 2" barrel S&W 625 with two additional moon clips - mostly to counterbalance the weight.

Jerry has no fears of me beating (or even coming close to) his reload times, but I'm pretty much even with the bottom feeders doing a mag change.

I don't normally go where the need to put a lot of lead downrange is the defining characteristic of the locale. Basically, if 6 are not enough I can try for 12. If 12 are not enough I'm going to be screwed so ought to save the last one for myself.

Folks seem to think that a fat old gimpy dude with a revolver knows what he is doing. Who am I to correct them?

Most importantly, I like carrying a revolver.

The reason I do not use a western rig is because I'm in my wheelchair a lot - those rigs do not work so well from the seated position when you have arms instead of miles of open range at your elbows. Basic OWB holsters do the job for me. (For folks in chairs doing IDPA/IPSIC - remember to claim your compensation points for rolling backwards - everybody else gets to stay at the same distance through a stage while we can have it change on us.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast