• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CT Carry and American News are looking into this NEW concept

Edward Peruta

FOI requests have been made by CT Carry and Richard Burgess and should help us stay on top of this issue.

Here is what we obtained that caused us to start asking questions.

MAY 28, 2013

The Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection is in the process of exploring more timely, efficient and cost effective ways of delivering information back to contributors seeking criminal history checks. This new method of delivery will be by secure email. This will be a first step to streamlining delivery of information to contributors. More improvements are expected in the future.

Below is the list of information that will be delivered by secure email:

1. Reject notifications of an applicant's fingerprint card.

2. Criminal records resulting from a criminal history check.
3. NO RECORD responses resulting from a criminal history check.

In order to get started you will have to provide the Department of Emergency Services and and Public Protection the following information:

1. An employee to be a point of contact for your agency/company. This employee must be an employee that
is authorized to receive this information.

2. An email address for the point of contact employee.

Your agency/company will be responsible for notifying the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection immediately if the point of contact information changes. Please submit information to either paul.mounts@ct.gov or erik.stuckman@ct.gov

Currently the system is not operational but we are commencing with the collection of the required information we will need from contributing agencies/companies. Further

instructions will follow once testing of the system is successfully completed

Last edited:

Edward Peruta

Memory lane What has happened in the past year?

If FBI record check results come back in 24 hours, why don't they send them out to the Issuing Authority IMMEDIATELY so the Temporary Permit can be issued or denied in the one week time period mandated by law?

The State Record's check could be completed electronically with a name search at the time the Five Year State Permit is requested at Headquarters.

Here is what the Commissioner told us last year.

Mr. Richard Burgess

Mr. Don Mei
Mr. Edward Peruta
Connecticut Carry, Inc.
229 Branford Road, Unit 423
North Branford, CT 06471

March 5, 2012

Dear Messrs Burgess, Mei and Peruta,

I am writing in response to your recent correspondence regarding your concerns over the delay in the processing of state pistol permit applications.

I have personally reviewed the issues raised in your letter with staff from our Special Licensing and Firearms Unit. The delay is due in large part to backlogs in the processing of a fingerprint supported background checks. The agency has in recent years experienced a significant increase in the number of background checks we are required to do by state statute. At the same time, our budget limitations and reduced staffing have placed the State Police Bureau of Identification in a situation where they have more work and less people to do the work. It is not surprising that the agency is currently experiencing backlogs and a less than optimal turnaround of requests. That said, let me advise you, as I did the leadership of SLFU that we simply must find ways to address backlogs that affect people's availability for employment and basic rights such as those you address in your letter.

There is not any simple solution. When fingerprints are processed through the Automated Fingerprint Information System (AFIS), the process is not complete, as the application must also be checked against Connecticut Criminal History, which is not an automated system. This is not a step that can be merely 'skipped' as your letter suggests as information is extracted from the state check that does not automatically come back from the FBI with the AFIS check.

We are cognizant of the specific statutory timelines in place with respect to the processing of pistol permits and are making every effort to comply. We are currently taking proactive steps to realign our business practices, implement technological improvements and redirect staff so as to recognize efficiencies. It is our hope that these actions will expedite the process in an effort to compensate for the large volume of requests. Let me assure you that our staff is not "sitting on applications." In fact, fingerprint checks for pistol permits are being prioritized.

Please understand that the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection strives to provide responsive and efficient service to all citizens. I ask for your patience and understanding with respect to this matter as we make every effort to address all backlogs.

Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention and affording me the opportunity to respond.

Sincerely,

Reuben F. Bradford
COMMISSIONER

heckle

At the same time, our budget limitations and reduced staffing have placed the State Police Bureau of Identification in a situation where they have more work and less people to do the work.

I find this funny. I also work for the state. We also have dealt with less money, less people and more work. We don't have a choice, we deal with it. Besides, during the last "budget crisis" a few years ago, the State Police union did not lose people, did not make concessions, were not forced into furlough days, etc. So with that being said, if they are saying they did, it must have been the Admin staff who took the hit but they got rehired back.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I'm sure that they are being prioritized ... just not the way you think from reading the letter ... I did not say we were prioritizing them to make them get done quicker but we are prioritizing more thing to be done before fingerprinting (coffee breaks, staff meetings to think of more lies to tell people). Please be patient, we'll get around to things eventually. Reuben ...