• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

El Paso sheriff refusing to enforce some gun laws

Augustin

El Paso sheriff refusing to enforce some gun laws

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22797956/el-paso-sheriff-refusing-enforce-some-gun-laws

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.—El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa said he plans to ignore some new gun laws being considered by lawmakers, unless the county could be held liable for any damages caused by his department's lack of enforcement.

Maketa told an angry packed crowd at a meeting on Thursday he would stand firm against Democrat-sponsored gun bills that will almost certainly become law July 1.One of those bills includes a ban on high-capacity magazines.

"I can't tell you when those were sold, bought and purchased. As far as I'm concerned, they were all pre-July 1 if the governor does sign this bill," he said.

County commissioners Peggy Littleton and Amy Lathen backed Maketa's stance and said they are looking into what actions the county could take to stop any laws from going into effect locally.

The other side of the debate includes Mark Kelly, the husband of former U.S. Rep. Gabby Giffords of Arizona. Kelly, who is a gun owner himself, spoke in Denver last week about why he thinks stricter laws are needed.

Maketa said the proposed laws were hastily crafted and at least one would be unenforceable. A number of Colorado sheriffs are concerned the laws could lead to registration of gun owners, he said.

He also said he's been talking to people about filing a lawsuit against the state because he believes some of the proposed laws setting limits on gun purchases are too vague.

Maketa said his office keeps records of every concealed carry permit holder in the county as required by law, but he would never share it. He said he would destroy the database if anyone tried to get their hands on it.

The El Paso County Commission already has approved a resolution proclaiming the county will not enforce any statutes, edicts, presidential directives, or other regulations which conflict with the Second Amendment's right to bear arms.

Maketa said his office would intervene if government agents started arresting county residents for exercising their constitutional rights.

RandallFlagg

I called Sheriff Maketa's office (I'm in Adams County) back in February to thank him for doing this, and the lady who I talked with said they were getting hundreds of calls in support from all over the country.

I think I'll call them again Monday. He's a good man.

M-Taliesin

Colorado Sheriffs Will NOT Enforce the New Gun Grab Legislation

Howdy Folks!
First, El Paso County Sheriff isn't the only one who will not attempt to enforce the new laws passed by the Colorado Legislature.
In fact, truth be told, every single sheriff in Colorado has stated their refusal to enforce those new laws.
In another fact, truth be told, better than 55 of them have joined together to file a suit in federal court against Governor Hickenlooper who signed the darn things into law. We anticipate there will be an injunction handed down preventing those new laws from going into effect on July 1st. That injunction will keep those new laws from being legal to enforce until the court has examined the new laws for Constitutionality.

Odds are, the new laws will be struck down.

Meanwhile, recall petitions have been filed against at least two of the key legislators who endorsed those bills, and both face an election wherein they are very likely to lose their namby-pamby jobs.

The fight goes on, but regardless of what county in Colorado you are in, your sheriff has your back!
All of them should hear from gun rights advocates to ensure them of your support.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RandallFlagg

Meanwhile, recall petitions have been filed against at least two of the key legislators who endorsed those bills, and both face an election wherein they are very likely to lose their namby-pamby jobs.

I wish I knew how to start a recall petition here in Senator Jessie Ulibarri's area.
He disgusts me with the way he was so disrespectful towards our testimonies.

RockyMtnScotsman

Does this mean that Sheriff Maketa will also refuse to enforce the new requirement for in-person training for the issuance of CCW permits in his county?

As for refusing to enforce the magazine ban - that's sounds nice and all and I strongly support Sheriff Maketa; but it doesn't mean a lot when local gun shops won't stock standard capacity mags or you can't order them online to ship to a CO address.

Last edited:

mobiushky

Does this mean that Sheriff Maketa will also refuse to enforce the new requirement for in-person training for the issuance of CCW permits in his county?

As for refusing to enforce the magazine ban - that's sounds nice and all and I strongly support Sheriff Maketa; but it doesn't mean a lot when local gun shops won't stock standard capacity mags or you can't order them online to ship to a CO address.

Most of the sheriffs were on board with the in-person training bill. So I doubt they will have issues.

As for the mag ban, Wyoming, KS, UT, all sell them. I would never advocate breaking a law openly in a public forum. Just a thought exercise, but who's going to stop you from heading to Cheyenne and picking up some mags?

M-Taliesin

Howdy!
That's precisely why Sheriff Maketa, along with more than 50 other Colorado Sheriffs, filed suit in Federal Court against Hickenlooper.
Maketa, et al, are sheriffs. They do not have authority over the state legislature. They cannot prevent a law from being passed by the legislature.
What they can, and have done, is file suit against Hickenlooper for signing the new laws into effect, and seeking injunctive relief from the federal court.
Meanwhile, for anybody so concerned about magazines as appears to be the case, you can always take a nice ride up to Wyoming and get all the magazines you need.
Once they're here, and in your immediate possession, ain't a single sheriff in this state gonna bust you for having them. After all, the law is completely uniforcable since the state would need to prove you got them after the passage of the law, which in effect, would require more psychic powers than Uri Geller!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Augustin

Meanwhile said:
The problem is, that even though the laws may eventually be overturned (1 - 2 years out), in the interim NO gun show promoter will allow private sales or high cap magazines at their shows (not with Fedgoons slithering around like serpents), and NO gun store will sell any high caps (not even with the purchase of a new firearm), nor will any mail order company ship illegal mags to Colorado.

Hopefully there will be an injunction granted which will allow business as usual until things are adjudicated in court.

Better than driving to Wyoming (unless you are from Ft. Collins or somewhere else close) is to go to the BIG show in Phoenix, Arizona.

Crossroads of the West is the finest gun show promoter in the country. They have a show scheduled for July 20th - 21st at the Arizona State Fairgrounds in Phoenix. Another is on September 7th- 8th. IMAGINE A Walmart STORE COMPLETELY FULL OF TABLES, AND THEN ANOTHER HALF THAT BIG !!! No gun show ever held in Colorado even comes close to the Phoenix Crossroads shows. And their big 3-day event (which features many hundreds of full-auto guns from the Small Arms Review) is scheduled for December 6th - 8th, 2013. It is the equivalent of two Walmarts completely full of tables.

http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/

Get high on gunpowder and party with men and guns.

AUGustin

Last edited:

F350

Well I for one ain't that far from Utah and have family in Wyoming, wouldn't be too difficult for me to get more if I needed (wanted) but I loaded up in '94 and my sheriff is part of the law suit as well.