• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ill be visiting PA this come week... anything I need to be aware of?

GlockRDH

The family and I will be in PA this coming week...driving in from WI... I have a WI CCL... anything I need to be aware of while carrying in the Commonwealth? (besides the obvious...school zones, court houses, etc) From reading the threads on here, OC is allowed in the same places that CC is allowed? Thanks all for you answers!

david.ross

I posted this to a couple of other threads which you need to be made aware.

Pittsburgh police attend the yearly MPOETC training, so they know open carry is legal. If you're in to civil rights, not just firearms, PA is NOT a "stop and ID" state. You have normally have obligation to provide ID, unless Pennsylvania is in a state of emergency. Make sure you have your CCW license on you at all times.

PA is currently in a "state of emergency." A state of emergency can only last 90 days unless renewed by the governor.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...lamations/4725

(2013 Proclamation #2.0) Dauphin County Bridge May 9, 2013.pdf

18 Pa.C.S. § 6107: Prohibited conduct during emergency
(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:
(1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat.
(2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
(b) Seizure, taking and confiscation.--Except as otherwise provided under subsection (a) and notwithstanding the provisions of 35 Pa.C.S. Ch. 73 (relating to Commonwealth services) or any other provision of law to the contrary, no firearm, accessory or ammunition may be seized, taken or confiscated during an emergency unless the seizure, taking or confiscation would be authorized absent the emergency.
(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
"Accessory." Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.
"Firearm." The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.

CHAPTER 73
COMMONWEALTH SERVICES
§ 7301. General authority of Governor.

c) Declaration of disaster emergency.--A disaster emergency
shall be declared by executive order or proclamation of the
Governor upon finding that a disaster has occurred or that the
occurrence or the threat of a disaster is imminent. The state of
disaster emergency shall continue until the Governor finds that
the threat or danger has passed or the disaster has been dealt
with to the extent that emergency conditions no longer exist and
terminates the state of disaster emergency by executive order or
proclamation, but no state of disaster emergency may continue
for longer than 90 days unless renewed by the Governor.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

In addition to the above the only other thing I can think of is an old statue that allows CC is state parks but prohibits OC. Many of us believe a recent change to the statutes now allows OC in state parks, but we have been unable to get any kind of official acknowledgement on that. For the sake of your visit, CC-only in state parks.

Enjoy your visit! :cool:

GlockRDH

Thanks for that info guys! ... Only planning on stopping at the Horseshoe Curve park...(state park or county?? or what exactly is it?) then on to Harrisburg where my wife will be entering model horses in a model horse show..not sure as to the facility its being held in..... Im guessing, if Im not allowed to carry, itlll be posted??

Curmudgeon

Thanks for that info guys! ... Only planning on stopping at the Horseshoe Curve park...(state park or county?? or what exactly is it?) then on to Harrisburg where my wife will be entering model horses in a model horse show..not sure as to the facility its being held in..... Im guessing, if Im not allowed to carry, itlll be posted??

Near Altoona? My Google searches come up empty on Horseshoe Curve PARK, but there are several "Horseshoe Curve" results. Can you be more specific?

As to the show there is no guarantee that a weapons prohibition will have signs, they could simply ask you to leave, or more likely, ask you to take your gun out to your car. Their request does not have to be backed up by a sign. This is assuming said facilities are private property.

david.ross

Personally, I'd carry and not fold to state park rangers. The law he's referring to was one of the amendments which also caused a stir regarding collage carry on state owned universities.

The background on the state parks:
1) they're not a municipality, township, city or county
2) they operate under the state
3) the state parks believed they were able to make their own rules regulating firearms in state parks.

HB40 passed and was signed in to law, expanding the castle doctrine to give you the ability to self defense where there's no need to retreat where you've the right to be. Also included was this section.

Tell any state park officer/ranger to go pound sand, they're not going to trample over what the General Assembly has passed or the Pennsylvania constitution.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.061.009.000..HTM

(m.3) Construction.--Nothing in this section shall be construed to:
(1) Permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by 34 Pa.C.S. (relating to game).
(2) Authorize any Commonwealth agency to regulate the possession of firearms in any manner inconsistent with the provisions of this title.

Last edited:

GlockRDH

Near Altoona? My Google searches come up empty on Horseshoe Curve PARK, but there are several "Horseshoe Curve" results. Can you be more specific?

As to the show there is no guarantee that a weapons prohibition will have signs, they could simply ask you to leave, or more likely, ask you to take your gun out to your car. Their request does not have to be backed up by a sign. This is assuming said facilities are private property.

This place...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Curve_(Pennsylvania)

david.ross

It has the look of private property to me. Why not call and ask who owns what?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Indeed, the governing body is a railroad company.

While they don't have any rules regarding firearms or weapons, I'd recommend conceal carrying for the mere purpose of not irritating a company which operates Horseshoe Curve on a $150k deficit.