• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brady board member buys pistol, decides to carry for a month...

MKEgal

... with no training at all, just to prove a point.
And she admits she's terrified and has no idea what to do with it.
She even went driving around looking for a cop, with the gun in the car, to ask how to unload it & so on!

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/06/12/my-month-with-a-gun-week-one/comment-page-1/#comment-130062

She's getting shredded in the comments.
Feel free to join in.

ETA:
I bought a handgun and will carry it everywhere I go over the next 30 days. I have four rules: Carry it with me at all times, follow the laws of my state, only do what is minimally required for permits, licensing, purchasing and carrying, and finally be prepared to use it for protecting myself at home or in public.
She already broke her last rule, by not getting training to know what she's doing!

when I got home and opened the box and saw the magazine in the gun I freaked. I was too scared to try and eject it as thoughts flooded my mind of me accidentally shooting the gun and a bullet hitting my son in the house or rupturing the gas tank of my car, followed by an earth-shaking explosion

The gun makes me more fearful than I could have imagined.

a woman with absolutely no firearms training and a Glock on her hip sitting within arm’s reach of small children, her hands shaking and adrenaline surging

Last edited:

Maverick9

I've never bought a handgun and found a magazine in it when I opened the box, even used. She's full of it, but, I guess brave.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Training should not be a requirement .... its just another hurdle put in by antis ...

Hopefully, she gets 100s of calls to the police by citizens who also are scared ...

jeeper1

I've never bought a handgun and found a magazine in it when I opened the box, even used. She's full of it, but, I guess brave.
I have. My Ruger P944 came with a mag in it because it came with 2 mags and that was the only way to get them both in the box.

1245A Defender

Yes!!!

I have. My Ruger P944 came with a mag in it because it came with 2 mags and that was the only way to get them both in the box.

Hi Robert,, Me too!
My FNP 45 came in a case with indents for the two extra 14 round mags,,, Sooo
the normal 15 round mag was installed in the gun.
But I wasnt scared..

This dumb woman should have inpected her perchase before she left the gun store.
She could have asked the gun guy behind the counter, to make sure it was unloaded,, or anything else...

HeroHog

My reply:

MOST people would have sought SOME training, even if only from a knowledgeable friend before handling a firearm. Those that don’t normally have at least been exposed to guns to have a clue. You have done neither and that makes you a fool as only a fool gets a gun with no idea what they are doing. YES, you followed the LAW. What you didn’t do is use ANY sense, much less common sense.

There are tons of people and places that will give you the minimal training that one should have for free. When the NRA tries to do this they are bashed and trashed even while you acknowledge that one should have it if one is to handle a firearm! Thank God you are carrying an empty gun! That is the first thing you have done right as you are not to be trusted with a gun by your own admission.

What do you plan to do if confronted by a criminal? Threaten them with an empty gun? That isn’t very smart. Great way to wind up dead AND give a gun to another thug! There, that make you proud? Great way to make a point. What do you plan to do with the gun when you are done? Have you even thought of that?

The law can’t protect everyone, especially fools out to do themselves harm. YOU have responsibilities like finding out enough NOT to be a willful danger to society just to make a point.

eye95

7 minutes? Bravo Sierra. It takes most people 7 minutes just to fill out the 4473.

Didn't know how to unload it? *shakes head* I qualify all of my customers. (Good salesman of all products qualify every customer.) If on of my customers is a newbie, I conduct a small class then and there on the firearm that they are buying. Of course, that takes a tad more than 7 minutes. Then I recommend that they go to one of the local ranges and take a class before they carry it loaded.

She shouldn't be carrying. She's an idiot. However, it is her Right to do so, and I will defend it to the death. No matter, she'll likely shoot herself accidentally. I just hope she doesn't shoot someone else--unless she happens to be in a meeting of the Brady Bunch or MAIG.

On edit: I knew I left out a point I intended, while reading the article, to make. The next post jogged my memory.

Magazine in a new gun? I'd say about half (maybe more) of the guns I sell come that way. All of our guns on display have the magazine in. Those will be typically reboxed with the magazine in. We clear all firearms before handling and ask the customer to check for clear before we hand one to them. If the customer buys the display, it is checked once more for clear, the magazine is inspected, and into the firearm it goes, then into the box.

I would hope that finding the magazine in a boxed gun that has been cleared would be of little concern to her. She should just assume it is loaded and clear it before handling it. Duh. Anti-gunners are such ignorant and emotional morons.

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
The writer said she was going to follow her own four rules, the last of which was "be prepared to use it for protecting myself at home or in public."

I guess she missed the part that knowing how to do so requires more than the ability to physically pick up the gun.

Freaking out upon finding that a magazine inside the gun when opening the case demonstrates she has is in NO WAY prepared to protect herself anywhere.

Since she violated one of her own rules, the rest of the article is B.S.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Are we taking bets if she goes through with it for the whole month or quietly stops talking about it altogether? My money is on the latter.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
She may be demonstrating the cold hard fact of how a RIGHT is exercised; with very little supervision required.

But will she even come close to acknowledging that people who actually bother to exercise this right are the responsible ones in society and that she herself is currently the most dangerous legally armed citizen in the country?

WalkingWolf

My state issued S&W M39 had one mag in the well and one wrapped in the box. I was issued one more from supply. My PA-63 came wrapped in paper in the box, one mag in well, one extra mag in box. All the unboxing videos I have seen there was a mag in the gun.

Superlite27

Well, what do you think about my 2 cents?

Here's my little contribution to the discussion. I wonder how it will go over.

I commend the author on conducting such a scientific experiment in order to find out if her fears, and those of her supporters, are valid. As with any scientific venture, it is only the facts, and the evidence, that are relevant, and all supposition, conjecture, and emotional blubbering are irrelevant. Therefore, I will be watching closely to see how many injured, maimed, and murdered men, women, and children can be counted at the end of this experiment. After all, if there are none, the unassailable fact that the author will prove by this experiment is that an untrained person with absolutely no experience carrying is perfectly harmless with a firearm in public. You can take all your fears and concerns about how easy it is to obtain a firearm, how dangerous they are, and how bad guns are, and flush them. Unless their are bodies in the street at the end of this, the author will have proven, beyond all argument, that even the most untrained and inexperienced carrier is perfectly safe carrying a firearm unless their INTENT is to cause harm.

Aknazer

Depending on how many mags the gun comes with and the packaging it is standard for a mag to be in the gun. Both my XD and TCP came with a mag inserted in the gun, but also both were shown to me by the salesperson in regards to what all I was buying and I watched them show me that the gun was unloaded, the mag was empty, and then it was put into the carrying case.

Now my XDm case did have a spot in the case for the second mag, but that is only one out of three of the handguns that I've bought.

mikeyb

I guess I'm missing the deal here.

1. She opened the new pistol and it had a magazine in it. Point? Guns don't come with ammo. She verified that (albeit with poor, idiotic writing) when she asked a police officer how to clear it.
2. She purchased the gun. She is the one responsible for knowing how to use it. Like when you buy a car. Or a house. Or a cheap computer part from China. It's the buyer's responsibility to do the diligence before purchase. We need to stop absolving personal responsibility.
3. She hasn't said she's purchased ammo. So I'm assuming she's walking around with an unloaded pistol. Bravo. Brah-vo.
4. Don't guns come with a manual? Or, maybe, there's some method to search for information on how to clear the pistol and eject the magazine. If only there was an electronic system that could be accessed from nearly anywhere in the world that would give her the correct information.

And is it just me, or when they (antis) say "gun dealer" they're using that term because we have "drug dealers"?

You don't need anything (other than money) to purchase a car, either, Einstein. Nor a house. Nor gasoline. And on and on and on. This article isn't about her wanting to accept her 2nd Amendment rights. It's about her instilling fear in her readers because of her insecurities handling an item she's spent a majority of her life campaigning against.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I liked the part where she complained that it took longer to get her dog license.

Hey, Einstein, unlike the gun, the dog actually has a mind of its own and can do things that the owner does not intend to happen, you know, like kill seals and children.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You are all getting worked up for nothing - unless one counts the humor element inherent in this first installment of what promoses to be a laigh-a-week series.

Ms Heidi Yewman openly admits that she is the antithises of every Bubbaette who walks into a gun store and comes out totin' a heater.

I wondered what would it be like to be that good guy with a gun? What would it be like to get that gun, live with that gun, be out and about with that gun. Finally, what happens when you don’t want that gun any more?

What gunnie still wonders what it would be like to be the good guy with a gun? Don't gunnies, even before they get a gun, have both dreams and waking fantasies about coming upon the Bad Guy and blowing him into the next county? Don't gunnies already know that getting the gun is like picking up a new puppie, and going on a first date with the captain of the cheerleaders who already agreed to go past second base with you, and like winning the lottery when you are only 16 but your partents cannot tell you how to spend (or not spend) the money? Don't gunnies already know that swaggering down the aisle at Wallyworld with a gun on their hip negates every other reason why they should be this week's star in "The People of WalMart"? Don't gunnies already know that being out and about with that gun is like being Superman and Batman and Chuck Norris all rolled into one and instantly gets you respect from bullies and causes muggers to go running down dark alleys with the front of their sagging drawers stained in fear? And finally, what gunnie ever even considers that they might not want the gun anymore? (No, trading for another gun does not count as not wanting the gun - it's more like wanting another one instead.)

And then her reputation for veracity goes through the mangler with

So here I sit at Starbucks, and the irony couldn’t be thicker. On March 12, 2010, I was surrounded by big hairy men with guns on their hips, yelling at me as I led a protest against Starbuck’s gun policy. Today, I’m surrounded by five-year-old boys sitting with their moms at the next table. Now I’m the one with a gun on her hip. The gun makes me more fearful than I could have imagined.

In some way, I feel a certain vindication. I was right to protest Starbucks policy. Today, they have a woman with absolutely no firearms training and a Glock on her hip sitting within arm’s reach of small children, her hands shaking and adrenaline surging.

IIRC, all the "big hairy men with guns on their hips" were quietly sitting at Starbucks, sipping on a latte and nibbling away at that bannana-pumpkin bran muffin while gossiping about how Cletus-Ray's new holster leather brought out the red highlights in his hair (what was left of it) when she and the rest of her herd of harpies descended, screeching and caterwauling (mainly that the big hairy men were not playing their parts by getting up and making big, gory holes in the harpies).

Most people seem to have missed the very important bit of evidence she let drop: A person with a documented record of losing self control in public and verbally assaulting people who were quietly enjoyong the morning and each other's company now, when she straps on her shootin' iron, becomes peaceful herself. The zen of the gun works even on the shrillist of harpies.

Thank you, Heidi Yewman, for demonstrating what we have been saying all along.

There is much hilarity about this going on over at http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=39956.0 . You are invited to take a peek.

stay safe.

carracer

I replied to the article also. Awaiting moderation. Maybe it will be printed. I offered to pay for a training class for her and her husband. I also send a "Facebook Friend Request" to her and message there with the same offer. She is from Vancouver Wa. so the trip to the Boise area would probably be too far.

Being the optimist I am, I am hoping this will open a door to show the firearms community in a better light than she has seen in the past. It's a big hurdle as she has written books and articles and appears to be as big an anti 2a as we are pro 2a.

MKEgal

HeroHog said:
Thank God you are carrying an empty gun! That is the first thing you have done right as you are not to be trusted with a gun by your own admission.
'Right' from the perspective of "not able to hurt anyone with her ignorance", yes.
But as far as adhering to her rule about being able to defend herself? No.

eye95 said:
We clear all firearms before handling and ask the customer to check for clear before we hand one to them...
I would hope that finding the magazine in a boxed gun that has been cleared would be of little concern to her. She should just assume it is loaded and clear it before handling it.
Except that she's set out to know as little as possible about what she's buying, so she doesn't know how to check that it's not loaded (since she went out hunting a cop to show her how to do it).
So even assuming the FFL did the usual thing of locking back the slide & showing her that it was empty, it was probably meaningless, just as if I went into some religious ceremony I'd never seen before. No idea what they're waving around, or what the significance is.

I'd like to figure out how to get in touch with her. Might have to go through Brady Bunch HQ.