• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

weekend vacation almost interrupted by a criminal

WalkingWolf

Maybe he was scared of people with guns, one does not have to be the boogie man. There are a lot of other explanations that do not involve him being a bad guy.

HandyHamlet

Maybe he was scared of people with guns, one does not have to be the boogie man. There are a lot of other explanations that do not involve him being a bad guy.

Of course. And if the OP did nothing? Ignored his gut? If something happened?

You would be the first to criticism his lack of situational awareness. His training. His sidearm of choice. His technique when drawing his sidearm. His mother. The color of his vehicle and the name of his dog.

HandyHamlet

Nothing did happen, and nobody knows why nothing happened.

Lie.

Something did happen.

A man posted an experience he had. A man productive in the community, active in the cause and a positive force on the forum. And for that he has to eat ****.

Pay attention. Something did happen. He was with his family. They made a stop. Someone was acting suspicious and dressed suspiciously for time of year and weather. He decided to act for the safety of his family. He did not engage or escalate. He remained calm and innocent of instigation. The perceived threat FLED and the situation was diffused.

So by all means continue with your lies and hypocrisy.

Firearms Iinstuctor

It is real hard to prove a negative how does one prove something would have, should have but didn't happen.

I am a firm believer in defensive display, that's what we have here and the OP didn't even have to draw.

Letting someone know your armed before a crime ever happens is a very good way to prevent it from ever happening.

But it is very hard to prove it was going to happen.

oliverclotheshoff

I woud have to ask what you think should have done differently? Seems to me you did the right thing.

<sarcasm on> but you gave up the element of surprise and you were the first one shot! <sarcasm off>

You gave that individual something to think about before he walked around in 85 degree weather with his hoodie up holding a package of M&M's in his pocket. (ok I couldn't help my self) <more sarcasm>

One thing I should HAVE (don't want to offend the grammar nazi) done differently is went in too inform the clerk or manager what happened, so they had a heads up if this person decided to just go around the block until I left. But this was this first time I had been around what could have been a person committing a crime that could have involved my family, hopefully I will never have to do what I was prepared to do that day. I hope that answers your ? packer fan

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
We do what we do, because doing what we do, allows us to continue doing what we do.

Any questions?......OK then, pop quiz possible tomorrow.

WalkingWolf

We do what we do, because doing what we do, allows us to continue doing what we do.

Any questions?......OK then, pop quiz possible tomorrow.

OC works because there is no solid proof it does not work. Knowing what crimes we personally thwarted when there are no crimes is well~~~~~~

I saw a old lady leave Food Lion yesterday as I was going in. Darn good thing I showed up when I did, I saved all those shoppers and clerks...

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
OC works because there is no solid proof it does not work. Knowing what crimes we personally thwarted when there are no crimes is well~~~~~~

I saw a old lady leave Food Lion yesterday as I was going in. Darn good thing I showed up when I did, I saved all those shoppers and clerks...

I guess that's the difference between no crime and "stopping" a crime in progress. I prefer no crime.:)

Packer fan

One thing I should HAVE (don't want to offend the grammar nazi) done differently is went in too inform the clerk or manager what happened, so they had a heads up if this person decided to just go around the block until I left. But this was this first time I had been around what could have been a person committing a crime that could have involved my family, hopefully I will never have to do what I was prepared to do that day. I hope that answers your ? packer fan

Thank you.

But from my perspective you did the only thing you should have done. If you were to go in and tell the clerks I think they would've been on edge. I know from working those jobs a few years I was already wary of a few customers. I've had my life threatened, not with a gun, and another posable robbery defused by a costumer that refused to leave the store because she saw an individual acting suspicious.

I commend you for your actions and I think the individual that did a two step out of there wasn't coming back. As I said before you gave the alleged perpetrator something to think about the next time and he may not ever try that again. This is one reason I like both CC and OC, although I like to OC, because the combination of both amongst the population does keep one guessing.

One can always do a should've, would've, could've but you did the right thing at the time.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Good job!

My family and myself were in fondulac ....

As I reflect back on that situation I know there are a few things I could/should of done differently and it was an eye opener. And I know now FOR 100% CERTAINTY I AM willing to do what it takes to protect my family in a life threatening instance.
Good job, sir! It is unfortunate that this type of successful defusing of a situation because of an undrawn gun will never get added into a database with the hundreds of thousands (Millions?) of like occurrences across our country. The press isn't interested in a non-violent resolution of a self-defense scenario, but that is the way we hope it always will work out. You perceived a possible threat because of your situational awareness, you kept your wits about you even though the adrenaline was probably starting to flow, and responded in a measured way. If you had immediately bladed your weak side to the threat as a preparation to drawing and firing, he wouldn't have seen that you were armed and the whole thing might have played out differently.... I hope that I can respond as effectively as you did if I ever get into a like situation. Thanks again. :cool:

protias

My family and myself were in fondulac for the weekend for a fathersday geocache dash. And we stopped to use a restroom at a gas station I OC as much as possible CC sometimes (when I am near schools or places that could possible be full of sheeple but that is besides the point.) Any ways I was standing by our car next to the door and the wife and kids were inside when I saw a very shady looking person (mexican american maybe but it doesnt matter) walking towards the door wearing a hoodie with the hood up it is 85 degrees out at this time of day holding something like he is hiding it in the front pocket. So I decided to turn strongside exposing my sidearm to him and start preparing for the worst case scenario and step towards the door of the gas station when he spotted me and stopped dead in his tracks turned and doubled paced the hell out of there. As for me I was wearing a nice polo style shirt with a pair of blue jean shorts and tennis shoes.

As I reflect back on that situation I know there are a few things I could/should of done differently and it was an eye opener. And I know now FOR 100% CERTAINTY I AM willing to do what it takes to protect my family in a life threatening instance.

This story is clearly fake. I mean, you were OCing and weren't "taken out first." :lol: