Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Pump Shotgun Laws

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    40

    Pump Shotgun Laws

    Hey Guys,

    I just picked up a Maverick by Mossberg 88 pump shotgun this past weekend. It's a 20" barrel 12-gauge home defense pump shotgun with an 8-round tube. Can you tell me:

    What are the laws regarding modifying this weapon with accessories? ...specifically, can I put a pistol grip on the shotgun, or a "m4 style stock" (for lack of a better name/term)? Or a vertical hand grip on the pump action piece?

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Naugatuck CT
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical_Evo View Post
    Hey Guys,

    I just picked up a Maverick by Mossberg 88 pump shotgun this past weekend. It's a 20" barrel 12-gauge home defense pump shotgun with an 8-round tube. Can you tell me:

    What are the laws regarding modifying this weapon with accessories? ...specifically, can I put a pistol grip on the shotgun, or a "m4 style stock" (for lack of a better name/term)? Or a vertical hand grip on the pump action piece?

    Thank you!
    By old law NO you exceed 5 round limit any other evil feature would make it an assault shotgun.

    A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

    i. a folding or telescoping stock;

    ii. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

    iii. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

    iv. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.


    Per new law they got rid of the 5 round rule so you can have a pistol grip.
    I cannot find a link of the latest assault weapon definition.
    http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download...d-4182bab6c5fd

  3. #3
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by customcreationllc View Post
    By old law NO you exceed 5 round limit any other evil feature would make it an assault shotgun.

    A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

    i. a folding or telescoping stock;

    ii. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

    iii. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

    iv. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.


    Per new law they got rid of the 5 round rule so you can have a pistol grip.
    I cannot find a link of the latest assault weapon definition.
    http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download...d-4182bab6c5fd
    Um what?

    A semi-automatic != pump.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    40
    So to clarify - If I wanted to put a pistol grip, "AR-style stock", and a vertical hand grip on the pump ... Would this be 100% legal? From what I can tell, YES because it is a pump shotgun, and not semi-automatic. Correct?

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Naugatuck CT
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Um what?

    A semi-automatic != pump.
    never mind my mistake missed the "pump"
    Last edited by customcreationllc; 06-17-2013 at 01:55 PM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical_Evo View Post
    So to clarify - If I wanted to put a pistol grip, "AR-style stock", and a vertical hand grip on the pump ... Would this be 100% legal? From what I can tell, YES because it is a pump shotgun, and not semi-automatic. Correct?
    Correct. I've seen them selling the stuff at Dick's.

  7. #7
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585

    Re: Pump Shotgun Laws

    You are just fine, even if it's a semi. The old laws that he was talking about were related to the previous assault weapons ban. Have fun with it and geardo out!

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    40
    I've seen accessories at local stores as well. I would like to see if there is any legal talk in the GSC however... I could only find talk on selective fire or semi-auto shotguns though. Wanted to be sure I'm not missing anything.

  9. #9
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    correct, it is pump and not semi-auto, so you can basically do whatever the heck you want to it and it will remain 100% legal
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  10. #10
    Regular Member DamonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lewis, WA
    Posts
    585

    Re: Pump Shotgun Laws

    Quote Originally Posted by motoxmann View Post
    correct, it is pump and not semi-auto, so you can basically do whatever the heck you want to it and it will remain 100% legal
    So long as the barrel is at least 18" and total length is 26"(I think)

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    So long as the barrel is at least 18" and total length is 26"(I think)

    Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    correct
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    9
    I'd contact state police or something to be certain (and if you have an issue it's like, but look, right here I have an email from your state police saying this is legal).

    I had been looking at getting a UTS-15 (pump shotgun that holds 15 shells), I contacted two local gun shops, one told me that he wasn't sure and didn't want the risk of selling an illegal firearm and the other said he would contact rhe department of public safety and get back to me; a few days later he said that because the two tubes are attached to each other (and tge gun), they are considered to be one large capacity magazine which can not be sold...if anyone can go against that I'd like to see it, but just an example to tell you to ask someone of the law with proof .

  13. #13
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogwit View Post
    I'd contact state police or something to be certain (and if you have an issue it's like, but look, right here I have an email from your state police saying this is legal).

    I had been looking at getting a UTS-15 (pump shotgun that holds 15 shells), I contacted two local gun shops, one told me that he wasn't sure and didn't want the risk of selling an illegal firearm and the other said he would contact rhe department of public safety and get back to me; a few days later he said that because the two tubes are attached to each other (and tge gun), they are considered to be one large capacity magazine which can not be sold...if anyone can go against that I'd like to see it, but just an example to tell you to ask someone of the law with proof .
    While the new law allows current owners of magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds to keep them, it requires those people to register the magazines with the state, and forbids owners from loading them with more than 10 rounds outside their homes or while at a gun range.

    It also requires eligibility certificates for the purchase of any rifle, shotgun or ammunition, and significantly increases penalties for illegal possession and trafficking of guns.

    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/04/us/con...n-law-overhaul
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    PA13-3 is written so that a person could understand if a >10 rd tube is OK. I don't think so myself.

    Of course, what makes a >10 rd tube? I would think if the capacity is >10 rds of the shortest length rounds (shells) that the gun will accept or designed to accept.

    So keep that in mind ... if your tube holds 10 rds of 3" shells, it may hold more of shorter shells and then need to be registered.

    Of course, only my opinion.

    Its a retarded law I'll tell ya.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glastonbury CT
    Posts
    2

    Ct gun laws

    Hello my name is perry king, I am a returning vet from Afghanistan. I was deployed when all of these gun laws changed I just recently purchased a Remington 870 tactical shotgun. I wanted to put an ar15 style stock with pistol grip attached to it. I'm not quite sure what the exact law is. Any knowledge or help is greatly appreciated. It is a pump action not semi-auto.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Spcking143 View Post
    Hello my name is perry king, I am a returning vet from Afghanistan. I was deployed when all of these gun laws changed I just recently purchased a Remington 870 tactical shotgun. I wanted to put an ar15 style stock with pistol grip attached to it. I'm not quite sure what the exact law is. Any knowledge or help is greatly appreciated. It is a pump action not semi-auto.
    The law is PA13-3 and PA3-220 (amendments)

    Suggest you read the new laws as much has changed. You may have wished to stay in Afghanistan, you likely had more gun rights over there than here.

  17. #17
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    The law is PA13-3 and PA3-220 (amendments)

    Suggest you read the new laws as much has changed. You may have wished to stay in Afghanistan, you likely had more gun rights over there than here.
    ^x2^ lol.

    anything goes with pump shotguns, as long as the barrel is at least 18 inches (federal law)
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran MSG Laigaie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Philipsburg, Montana
    Posts
    3,135
    Spcking143 Welcome back and welcome to OCDO. Enjoy your stay.

    What MOS, mate?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

  19. #19
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,603
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    --snip--

    What MOS, mate?
    MOS = Military Occupational Specialty
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0152638AAFii73
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glastonbury CT
    Posts
    2
    Thank you all for you help with my question I appreciate the knowledge and info.
    As for my Military occupation specialty is Military Police combat support, not a pog garrison lol just did 10 months in ghazni province afghanistan.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •