• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pump Shotgun Laws

Tactical_Evo

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a Maverick by Mossberg 88 pump shotgun this past weekend. It's a 20" barrel 12-gauge home defense pump shotgun with an 8-round tube. Can you tell me:

What are the laws regarding modifying this weapon with accessories? ...specifically, can I put a pistol grip on the shotgun, or a "m4 style stock" (for lack of a better name/term)? Or a vertical hand grip on the pump action piece?

Thank you!

customcreationllc

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a Maverick by Mossberg 88 pump shotgun this past weekend. It's a 20" barrel 12-gauge home defense pump shotgun with an 8-round tube. Can you tell me:

What are the laws regarding modifying this weapon with accessories? ...specifically, can I put a pistol grip on the shotgun, or a "m4 style stock" (for lack of a better name/term)? Or a vertical hand grip on the pump action piece?

Thank you!

By old law NO you exceed 5 round limit any other evil feature would make it an assault shotgun.

A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescoping stock;

ii. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

iii. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

iv. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Per new law they got rid of the 5 round rule so you can have a pistol grip.
I cannot find a link of the latest assault weapon definition.
http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/914c1022-c2dc-4338-861d-4182bab6c5fd

Rich B

By old law NO you exceed 5 round limit any other evil feature would make it an assault shotgun.

A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescoping stock;

ii. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

iii. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

iv. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Per new law they got rid of the 5 round rule so you can have a pistol grip.
I cannot find a link of the latest assault weapon definition.
http://ctcarry.com/Document/Download/914c1022-c2dc-4338-861d-4182bab6c5fd

Um what?

A semi-automatic != pump.

Tactical_Evo

So to clarify - If I wanted to put a pistol grip, "AR-style stock", and a vertical hand grip on the pump ... Would this be 100% legal? From what I can tell, YES because it is a pump shotgun, and not semi-automatic. Correct?

forhumans

So to clarify - If I wanted to put a pistol grip, "AR-style stock", and a vertical hand grip on the pump ... Would this be 100% legal? From what I can tell, YES because it is a pump shotgun, and not semi-automatic. Correct?

Correct. I've seen them selling the stuff at Dick's.

DamonK

You are just fine, even if it's a semi. The old laws that he was talking about were related to the previous assault weapons ban. Have fun with it and geardo out!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Tactical_Evo

I've seen accessories at local stores as well. I would like to see if there is any legal talk in the GSC however... I could only find talk on selective fire or semi-auto shotguns though. Wanted to be sure I'm not missing anything.

motoxmann

correct, it is pump and not semi-auto, so you can basically do whatever the heck you want to it and it will remain 100% legal

DamonK

correct, it is pump and not semi-auto, so you can basically do whatever the heck you want to it and it will remain 100% legal

So long as the barrel is at least 18" and total length is 26"(I think)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Hogwit

I'd contact state police or something to be certain (and if you have an issue it's like, but look, right here I have an email from your state police saying this is legal).

I had been looking at getting a UTS-15 (pump shotgun that holds 15 shells), I contacted two local gun shops, one told me that he wasn't sure and didn't want the risk of selling an illegal firearm and the other said he would contact rhe department of public safety and get back to me; a few days later he said that because the two tubes are attached to each other (and tge gun), they are considered to be one large capacity magazine which can not be sold...if anyone can go against that I'd like to see it, but just an example to tell you to ask someone of the law with proof .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'd contact state police or something to be certain (and if you have an issue it's like, but look, right here I have an email from your state police saying this is legal).

I had been looking at getting a UTS-15 (pump shotgun that holds 15 shells), I contacted two local gun shops, one told me that he wasn't sure and didn't want the risk of selling an illegal firearm and the other said he would contact rhe department of public safety and get back to me; a few days later he said that because the two tubes are attached to each other (and tge gun), they are considered to be one large capacity magazine which can not be sold...if anyone can go against that I'd like to see it, but just an example to tell you to ask someone of the law with proof .

While the new law allows current owners of magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds to keep them, it requires those people to register the magazines with the state, and forbids owners from loading them with more than 10 rounds outside their homes or while at a gun range.

It also requires eligibility certificates for the purchase of any rifle, shotgun or ammunition, and significantly increases penalties for illegal possession and trafficking of guns.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/04/us/connecticut-gun-law-overhaul

davidmcbeth

Banned
PA13-3 is written so that a person could understand if a >10 rd tube is OK. I don't think so myself.

Of course, what makes a >10 rd tube? I would think if the capacity is >10 rds of the shortest length rounds (shells) that the gun will accept or designed to accept.

So keep that in mind ... if your tube holds 10 rds of 3" shells, it may hold more of shorter shells and then need to be registered.

Of course, only my opinion.

Its a retarded law I'll tell ya.

Spcking143

Ct gun laws

Hello my name is perry king, I am a returning vet from Afghanistan. I was deployed when all of these gun laws changed I just recently purchased a Remington 870 tactical shotgun. I wanted to put an ar15 style stock with pistol grip attached to it. I'm not quite sure what the exact law is. Any knowledge or help is greatly appreciated. It is a pump action not semi-auto.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hello my name is perry king, I am a returning vet from Afghanistan. I was deployed when all of these gun laws changed I just recently purchased a Remington 870 tactical shotgun. I wanted to put an ar15 style stock with pistol grip attached to it. I'm not quite sure what the exact law is. Any knowledge or help is greatly appreciated. It is a pump action not semi-auto.

The law is PA13-3 and PA3-220 (amendments)

Suggest you read the new laws as much has changed. You may have wished to stay in Afghanistan, you likely had more gun rights over there than here.

motoxmann

The law is PA13-3 and PA3-220 (amendments)

Suggest you read the new laws as much has changed. You may have wished to stay in Afghanistan, you likely had more gun rights over there than here.

^x2^ lol.

anything goes with pump shotguns, as long as the barrel is at least 18 inches (federal law)

Spcking143

Thank you all for you help with my question I appreciate the knowledge and info.
As for my Military occupation specialty is Military Police combat support, not a pog garrison lol just did 10 months in ghazni province afghanistan.