• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Take a look at this!!! Writer Heidi Yewman packs a gatt as news fodder

compmanio365

She is going about this all the wrong way. I say anybody who just straps a gun on, that they are obviously so emotionally distraught about, is doing the wrong thing. And portraying the wrong message (big surprise there, right?). I would never recommend someone buy their first gun, have no clue about it, and be scared of firearms, then immediately move to open carry.

If she wanted to truly research properly, she would have rented a few guns, taken a safety class and then decided to carry when she knew how to use the gun (and how they actually work - a bullet in your fuel tank isn't going to "make the car explode"). THAT is a far more realistic and responsible scenario that matches real life gun ownership, not just strapping a gun to your side when you don't even know how it works. Beyond that, did she even ask the gun store owner how to use it? How to be safe with it? You don't get answers to the questions you don't ask......but hey, it's pretty obvious the article is meant to confirm her own biased preconceptions, so she'll do anything it takes to confirm them.

b0neZ

Okay. We know a few things from this "article":

1) She's a moonbat, but well within her right to carry.

2) The guy at the store sold a Mark 1, Mod 0 novice a firearm specificaly on her stated reason to him for HD. This makes sense: New person needs something easy to manipulate for those "Bumps in the night" senarios.

Should he have demoed how to load and clear it? It's possible he tried to, and she cut him short with a flippant excuse of some sort. We'll never know.

3) It's reasonable to surmise from her writing that the sidearm possibly wasn't even loaded, violating at least one of her own rules: carrying for personal protection.

I won't go into the stuff we all already know about and is much discussed: training, etc.

If I am wrong on any of these points, please let me know.

(Please pardon any typos, as I'm only on my first cup of coffee.)

tombrewster421

Well I made several comments that are awaiting moderation. Hopefully she'll begin to take this seriously and actually understand what she is doing. I invited her to come here and said that I would gladly show her how to handle her weapon safely and I'm sure others would be more than willing as well.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Maybe instead of actually getting a weapon first, do a story like Nat Geo or Discovery Channel does. "A day in the life of an Open Carrier" Shadow an OCer for a day or two with some range time included, then go out and do it herself. Just like the journalist in Iraq, not making the news herself but "embedding" herself with an OC group. My .02.

tombrewster421

Maybe instead of actually getting a weapon first, do a story like Nat Geo or Discovery Channel does. "A day in the life of an Open Carrier" Shadow an OCer for a day or two with some range time included, then go out and do it herself. Just like the journalist in Iraq, not making the news herself but "embedding" herself with an OC group. My .02.

I'm sure you know she's not interested in what "real" journalism is.

sudden valley gunner

Me and my partner are doing just this.......;)

Dave Workman

Alas, it's beyond that point already.

tombrewster421

I think she's in Washington, so I made a comment inviting her to next months picnic in South Kitsap.... But I guess moderation filtered it out

All my posts still say they are waiting for moderation. I'm guessing they may be flooded and those that have shown up already were already registered to comment on that website. Every other time I've signed up to comment on a page like that they wait to confirm your email address. I haven't got an email yet.

mikeyb

this is over in the social forum, too. basically she is an idiot.

also, the bigger matter here isn't the 2A (which she's not interested in adopting, just exploiting); it's the purposeful rejection of personal responsibility, expecting the gov't to establish rules and laws on how we should make decisions.

jhfc

This article has inspired me to get into whitewater rafting. Just go out and do, you know, things! Stuff!

I'll go buy a raft, round up some kids and take a trip down the Deschutes. I'm nervous AND excited!

Do you think I should learn to swim first? What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tombrewster421

This article has inspired me to get into whitewater rafting. Just go out and do, you know, things! Stuff!

I'll go buy a raft, round up some kids and take a trip down the Deschutes. I'm nervous AND excited!

Do you think I should learn to swim first? What could possibly go wrong? :rolleyes:

Hahahahaha!

EMNofSeattle

That's why we need mandatory government training in river safety before you can take a boat on any river, stream or creek deeper then 12 feet (or a high capacity assault creek if you will) boat dealers should only rent you rafts after you show your river card and fill out a form indicating your name address and race to keep for government records.

Whitney

Ding,ding,ding

this is over in the social forum, too. basically she is an idiot.

also, the bigger matter here isn't the 2A (which she's not interested in adopting, just exploiting); it's the purposeful rejection of personal responsibility, expecting the gov't to establish rules and laws on how we should make decisions.

This is spot on. I hope for her sake she is not forced to defend herself.

I would say she has started quite the social experiment. For arguments sake lets make believe the experiment comes to fruition, training and profiecency are mandated by law. Now lets say a homicide is committed by a person who has had the "mandated training" who is responsible or even culpable? The government must be responsible as they failed to provide sufficent training, I can see the courts backing up now.

No matter the argument she makes, there is no substitute for personal responsibility and accountability for your actions.

~Whitney