• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Beach PD training concerning OC

GLW

I spoke with a new Virginia Beach PD officer in training, and asked what they taught concerning OC. He said that they were teaching that it is illegal to carry in banks. (I'm not sure why this training was specifically concerning OC, as CC would also be in violation if this was, in fact, correct.) I told him that this was not illegal, and that I OC in banks without problem. He then responded that there are bank robberies every week at the beach, and that OC in banks would have a high likelihood of being shot. (I know this isn't true, either, but that is what he said.)

Can anyone corroborate that this is what is being taught in their training? And if this is what is being taught, what is the next step to take to see that this training is corrected? (I am not a Virginia Beach resident, but am there frequently.)

Thanks for the help!
Glenn

Last edited:

TFred

I spoke with a new Virginia Beach PD officer in training, and asked what they taught concerning OC. He said that they were teaching that it is illegal to carry in banks. (I'm not sure why this training was specifically concerning OC, as CC would also be in violation if this was, in fact, correct.) I told him that this was not illegal, and that I OC in banks without problem. He then responded that there are bank robberies every week at the beach, and that OC in banks would have a high likelihood of being shot. (I know this isn't true, either, but that is what he said.)

Can anyone corroborate that this is what is being taught in their training? And if this is what is being taught, what is the next step to take to see that this training is corrected? (I am not a Virginia Beach resident, but am there frequently.)

Thanks for the help!
Glenn
This must be one of those immortal "wives tales" about gun carry that just will not die. I was taught this in my first CHP class (NOT by anyone who frequents this forum...) and the excuse they used was the FDIC insurance.

Ask your new PD friend to show you the law. Be prepared for a long wait.

TFred

GLW

Hi TFred,

I agree that there is no law about it. My biggest concern is what we can do about this myth so that the VBPD have accurate training.

Glenn

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
This must be one of those immortal "wives tales" about gun carry that just will not die. I was taught this in my first CHP class (NOT by anyone who frequents this forum...) and the excuse they used was the FDIC insurance.

Ask your new PD friend to show you the law. Be prepared for a long wait.

TFred

Ask your soon-to-be-a-real-cop to show you the training curriculum/class notes that provides him with this information.

Then go to a City Council meeting with copies and ask them to explain why the cops are being trained this way.

Mention to any reporter present at the meeting that you are going to do that.

stay safe.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Ask your soon-to-be-a-real-cop to show you the training curriculum/class notes that provides him with this information.

Then go to a City Council meeting with copies and ask them to explain why the cops are being trained this way.

Mention to any reporter present at the meeting that you are going to do that.

stay safe.

And, write a complaint to the PD internal affairs section. With copies to:

1. City Attorney (who wants to know that a lawsuit is coming down the pike when a cop arrests an OCer for legal carry.)
2. The magistrate's office (so they will know in advance that sooner or later an OCer may be arrested because the PD is teaching wrong law.)

At the bottom of the complaint, be sure to list who you're sending copies. That is,
"Cc: City Attorney
Magistrates"

Personally, I wouldn't bother to get curriculum notes and so forth. I'd just let the mess hit the fan, and let the PD sort it out. If they're not actually teaching that, then their academy recruit can explain himself to them. And, forwarding wrong law can be the first entry in his personnel file. If they are teaching wrong law, then its their problem to clean up. They're the instructors for pete's sake; they're the last people who should be making it up as they go along. They're the first people who should be opening the VA Code to verify what the statutes say. But, that's just me. I wouldn't criticize anybody who did want to get the curriculum notes under, say, the VA Freedom of Information Act.

No matter which way its done, when its all over, the PD will be reminded that OCers are vigilant, and know their stuff.

Last edited:

TFred

If I were a betting man (and I'm not...) here's how I would bet it's happening:

1. Recruit attends training.
2. Instructor has course outline.
3. Instructor reaches section on legal carry of firearms.
4. Course outline reads something like:
A. Concealed Carry
1. CHPs
2. Other (secured in vehicle) [A guy can dream can't he?]​
B. Open Carry
C. Places where gun carry is prohibited
[Instructor rattles off list he's heard around the station, the water cooler, the bar after shift...]​

No documentation, all gossip.

That's my guess.

TFred

Glockster

We recently had another thread which discussed things such as OC in banks. At that time I made a comment about how in VB IF you walk into a bank that has a sign, that it likely that managers of those banks have been told to presume that it is a bank robbery and talked about what response may come from that. That turned into a long discussion as to whether or not signs were notice, and on and on.

Given what was said in that thread I'm not sure why any of the above should be much of a surprise.

Maverick9

Here's how I read this comment, if, indeed it occurred that way.

Trainee has been given information, but on his own decided he didn't like OC in banks. He senses a golden opportunity to promulgate this desire when asked about VB OC and told the OP that as a way to 'get in' his viewpoint. He might even know there's no such law.

GLW

Thank you for all the info, folks. This was just what I need. I will talk with him again, and ask him to think very clearly about what was said, how it was said, and if there are notes concerning the teaching. I will also tell him that I will be contacting the various city officials about this erroneous teaching. I will be interested in seeing his response.

Glenn

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Thank you for all the info, folks. This was just what I need. I will talk with him again, and ask him to think very clearly about what was said, how it was said, and if there are notes concerning the teaching. I will also tell him that I will be contacting the various city officials about this erroneous teaching. I will be interested in seeing his response.

Glenn
Let us know what happens, and a recording of the conversation would be good.:):)

ArmedBarrister

Like many others, I am skeptical that the trainee accurately described his training. The other comment, about the "likelihood of being shot," makes his remarks even more suspect. Please update the thread after you ask him for clarification.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If I were a betting man (and I'm not...) here's how I would bet it's happening:

1. Recruit attends training.
2. Instructor has course outline.
3. Instructor reaches section on legal carry of firearms.
4. Course outline reads something like:
A. Concealed Carry
1. CHPs
2. Other (secured in vehicle) [A guy can dream can't he?]​
B. Open Carry
C. Places where gun carry is prohibited
[Instructor rattles off list he's heard around the station, the water cooler, the bar after shift...]​

No documentation, all gossip.

That's my guess.

TFred

So, with the curriculum as above in hand, you query the instructor as to whether he ever taught that OC in banks was illegal. Instructor responds in the negative. Yet we have the recruit/trainee stating that he was in fact so instructed.

Been there, done that more times that I care to remember when preparing the agency for a lawsuit trial. I can guanantee you that the instructor will swear on a stack of class handouts that they never, ever said anything even remotely resembling that, and that if the question ever came up they were positive they would have answered by citing te law or lack thereof. Which was just what the agency wanted - it and the person responsible for providing training get to testify that thney never said that, thus getting excused as defendants and leaving the fool employee hanging out there all alone to pay damages. And then, as icing on the cake, when the lawsuit reveals that the poor employee was behaving other than as instructed and trained, he gets to be fired with no appeal because he has aleady testified under oath that he violated policy/procedure by failing to adhere to training and instruction.

And even if this VB police trainee does not get body-slammed with damages and a termination notice, he will have to go back and repeat that portion of the training so his personnel record can show his misinterpretation was appropriately corrected and he now knows how to follow the accepted knowledge as handed down by the training academy.

No matter how you slice it, it comes out a win for our side.

stay safe.

USNA69

So, with the curriculum as above in hand, you query the instructor as to whether he ever taught that OC in banks was illegal. Instructor responds in the negative. Yet we have the recruit/trainee stating that he was in fact so instructed.

Been there, done that more times that I care to remember when preparing the agency for a lawsuit trial. I can guanantee you that the instructor will swear on a stack of class handouts that they never, ever said anything even remotely resembling that, and that if the question ever came up they were positive they would have answered by citing te law or lack thereof. Which was just what the agency wanted - it and the person responsible for providing training get to testify that thney never said that, thus getting excused as defendants and leaving the fool employee hanging out there all alone to pay damages. And then, as icing on the cake, when the lawsuit reveals that the poor employee was behaving other than as instructed and trained, he gets to be fired with no appeal because he has aleady testified under oath that he violated policy/procedure by failing to adhere to training and instruction.

And even if this VB police trainee does not get body-slammed with damages and a termination notice, he will have to go back and repeat that portion of the training so his personnel record can show his misinterpretation was appropriately corrected and he now knows how to follow the accepted knowledge as handed down by the training academy.

No matter how you slice it, it comes out a win for our side.

stay safe.

But, wouldn't it be interesting to subpoena other trainees who attended the same class as the defendant, place them under oath, and ask them what they were taught in the same class?

wylde007

I've had a career VB officer as recently as five or six years ago tell me that OC is illegal in cities with populations above 200,000 (or something like that).

This is the same officer who believes I advocate random violence against police officers, too... :banghead: