Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Had a conversation about OC with a Bloomfield LEO.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    40

    Had a conversation about OC with a Bloomfield LEO.

    So, I was at my sister's house for a BBQ recently. One of her guests was a LEO who works in Bloomfield on the force, and claims to have been working as a LEO for about 17 years. I was not carrying my firearm on me that day, but I raised the question with the officer: "How do you guys treat permit holder's open carrying in Bloomfield?" I can't remember word for word what he said, but I certainty caught some key points which alarmed me. He basically said: 'Don't do it. I don't know who you are if I see you open carrying, or if you're going to just start shooting or getting crazy. It's a good way to get yourself killed.' He then went on ranting about how himself or another officer might shoot you for those reasons (because they're concerned about their safety and you have a gun).

    Now, I didn't want to start a debate with him at my sister's house or with all the little kids around, so I ended the discussion there. But can you imagine just OCing in town and a high-strung/nervous LEO draws out on you and potentially opens fire simply because you are going about your business while being legally armed?! Left me with this type of feeling:
    Last edited by Tactical_Evo; 06-18-2013 at 10:17 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    That isn't a cop then. It is a homicidal criminal.

    Post his name.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    That isn't a cop then. It is a homicidal criminal.

    Post his name.
    Can't remember it unfortunately. He was just one of several people I had a random conversation with, and when I found out his title asked the question with curiosity. It was a rather alarming response though!

  4. #4
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical_Evo View Post
    Can't remember it unfortunately. He was just one of several people I had a random conversation with, and when I found out his title asked the question with curiosity. It was a rather alarming response though!
    When I speak to people who say they are going to murder people I know, I usually spend extra effort to take down their name.

    This is also why a voice recorder should be running continuously.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    40
    Understood. I don't currently have a recorder, and without one I would assume my word is useless to anything.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    If the person was an invited guest at a party, time to start asking around for their name.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  7. #7
    Regular Member cteaglesfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Branford
    Posts
    133
    And 'our' tax dollars pay the salary of people like that, WOW!!!!!!!!

    A good friend of mine had a saying about LEOs like that 'It's amazing what 1 man can do with a badge, a high school diploma and an over inflated sense of self importance'
    Last edited by cteaglesfan; 06-18-2013 at 11:59 AM.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by cteaglesfan View Post
    And 'our' tax dollars pay the salary of people like that, WOW!!!!!!!!

    A good friend of mine had a saying about LEOs like that 'It's amazing what 1 man can do with a badge, a high school diploma and an over inflated sense of self importance'
    It is amazing ... that this guy is still breathing ...

  9. #9
    Regular Member Bigpapa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    49
    But if he think like that can you wonder how many others thinks the same way.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Freiheit417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    167
    Sounds a bit like the the infamous Canton, OH police officer who went crazy on a guy who was legally carrying >> http://www.ohiofreepress.com/2011/ca...permit-holder/

    Would he react the same way if he found a legally concealed handgun on a person?

    This is very concerning.
    America, where freedom* reigns.

    *Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

    -----------

    “What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

  11. #11
    Regular Member CCinMaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Windham, Maine
    Posts
    193

    Re: Had a conversation about OC with a Bloomfield LEO.

    Too bad you weren't OC'ing and he hadn't noticed. That sounds like something that should be disqualifying mental perception for someone to be a LEO. Unless its normal for LEO's to want to shoot every LAC they see...

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Gary, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    518
    Is anyone aware of a scenario in which a person who was legally and peaceably open carrying was shot or physically assaulted by LEOs simply because they were open carrying? Just asking because I'm wondering if this LEO is just all talk, or if there is documented evidence of this sort of thing actually happening.

    Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by tattedupboy; 06-19-2013 at 10:29 PM.

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical_Evo View Post
    So, I was at my sister's house for a BBQ recently. One of her guests was a LEO who works in Bloomfield on the force, and claims to have been working as a LEO for about 17 years. I was not carrying my firearm on me that day, but I raised the question with the officer: "How do you guys treat permit holder's open carrying in Bloomfield?" I can't remember word for word what he said, but I certainty caught some key points which alarmed me. He basically said: 'Don't do it. I don't know who you are if I see you open carrying, or if you're going to just start shooting or getting crazy. It's a good way to get yourself killed.' He then went on ranting about how himself or another officer might shoot you for those reasons (because they're concerned about their safety and you have a gun).

    Now, I didn't want to start a debate with him at my sister's house or with all the little kids around, so I ended the discussion there. But can you imagine just OCing in town and a high-strung/nervous LEO draws out on you and potentially opens fire simply because you are going about your business while being legally armed?! Left me with this type of feeling:

    Ahhh, yes. The old "don't know you" fallacy. Only people he knows may exercise the right to self-defense.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical_Evo View Post
    So, I was at my sister's house for a BBQ recently. One of her guests was a LEO who works in Bloomfield on the force, and claims to have been working as a LEO for about 17 years. I was not carrying my firearm on me that day, but I raised the question with the officer: "How do you guys treat permit holder's open carrying in Bloomfield?" I can't remember word for word what he said, but I certainty caught some key points which alarmed me. He basically said: 'Don't do it. I don't know who you are if I see you open carrying, or if you're going to just start shooting or getting crazy. It's a good way to get yourself killed.' He then went on ranting about how himself or another officer might shoot you for those reasons (because they're concerned about their safety and you have a gun).

    Now, I didn't want to start a debate with him at my sister's house or with all the little kids around, so I ended the discussion there. But can you imagine just OCing in town and a high-strung/nervous LEO draws out on you and potentially opens fire simply because you are going about your business while being legally armed?! Left me with this type of feeling:
    Oh, thank you, officer, for confessing that you would use lethal force without all the elements of AOJ. That will look just dandy in your personnel file.

    And, thank you, for revealing that from what you know of your colleagues, you have reason to believe they would, too.

    He doesn't realize it, yet, but if he ever does have to shoot someone in the line of duty, he's handed out a great piece of evidence for a civil suit.

    I would make very sure to write up that conversation in a formal complaint to the PD before somebody gets shot. And, be sure to forward a copy to the City Attorney so he's on notice.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  15. #15
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Tactical_Evo View Post
    So, I was at my sister's house for a BBQ recently. One of her guests was a LEO who works in Bloomfield on the force, and claims to have been working as a LEO for about 17 years. I was not carrying my firearm on me that day, but I raised the question with the officer: "How do you guys treat permit holder's open carrying in Bloomfield?" I can't remember word for word what he said, but I certainty caught some key points which alarmed me. He basically said: 'Don't do it. I don't know who you are if I see you open carrying, or if you're going to just start shooting or getting crazy. It's a good way to get yourself killed.' He then went on ranting about how himself or another officer might shoot you for those reasons (because they're concerned about their safety and you have a gun).

    Now, I didn't want to start a debate with him at my sister's house or with all the little kids around, so I ended the discussion there. But can you imagine just OCing in town and a high-strung/nervous LEO draws out on you and potentially opens fire simply because you are going about your business while being legally armed?! Left me with this type of feeling:
    Assuming the officer (Law enforcement or Opinion) has a penis and testicles he must be immediately investigated and seized as a POTENTIAL RAPIST per his own logic!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  16. #16
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Is anyone aware of a scenario in which a person who was legally and peaceably open carrying was shot or physically assaulted by LEOs simply because they were open carrying? Just asking because I'm wondering if this LEO is just all talk, or if there is documented evidence of this sort of thing actually happening.

    Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
    Multiple incidents of armed off duty or undercover LEO's being shot by OTHER LEO's in NY due to "inadequate IDENTIFICATION" have been reported in the various news providers!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 06-20-2013 at 12:53 AM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Ffld co.
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    That isn't a cop then. It is a homicidal criminal.

    Post his name.
    OMG...we agree.

    Maybe don't post his name, but it might be worth a quick call to the dept to initiate a refresher. OC is legal in CT. If you have to indicate which officer is apparently mistaken, then by all means...he's putting the municipality at risk for a big wrongful death liability.

  18. #18
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by CT Barfly View Post
    OMG...we agree.

    Maybe don't post his name, but it might be worth a quick call to the dept to initiate a refresher. OC is legal in CT. If you have to indicate which officer is apparently mistaken, then by all means...he's putting the municipality at risk for a big wrongful death liability.
    The police know its legal.

    There has been so much information in police circles and media about OC in the last seven years, that no cop could possibly claim to not know OC is legal.

    They also know the requirements for RAS and Terry Stops and so forth.

    We've been all through this before--cops trying to discourage OC by threatening 4th Amendment (search and seizure) violations or death.

    Hit this cop with the biggest hammer you can swing (rhetorically speaking).
    Last edited by Citizen; 06-20-2013 at 10:50 AM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  19. #19
    Regular Member motoxmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Middletown, CT
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    The police know its legal.

    There has been so much information in police circles and media about OC in the last seven years, that no cop could possibly claim to not know OC is legal.

    They also know the requirements for RAS and Terry Stops and so forth.

    We've been all through this before--cops trying to discourage OC by threatening 4th Amendment (search and seizure) violations or death.

    Hit this cop with the biggest hammer you can swing (rhetorically speaking).
    ^I'm with this guy^, and Rich of course. PEOPLE, whether they be LEO's or LAC's, who have the mentality of this officer you speak of are the EXACT reason I carry. they are unstable and often just looking for any reason to kill someone. people like this are the exact type that true common sense gun laws should prevent from ever being able to handle a firearm, let alone own or carry one, and definitely not be required to have one for their job..
    “Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.” ~Thomas Jefferson
    www.CTCarry.com

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7
    Not to mention that this is just another reason why LEOs should not be allowed to posess more firepower than LACs.

  21. #21
    Regular Member cteaglesfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Branford
    Posts
    133
    The million dollar question is, why do they have such a problem with Open carrying?

    Is it beccause it makes their job more difficult because of all the 'man with a gun' calls??

  22. #22
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by cteaglesfan View Post
    The million dollar question is, why do they have such a problem with Open carrying?

    Is it because it makes their job more difficult because of all the 'man with a gun' calls??
    That certainly seems to be the perception, although why they are responding to reports of non-suspicious, legal conduct is anyone's guess.

  23. #23
    Regular Member cteaglesfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Branford
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    That certainly seems to be the perception, although why they are responding to reports of non-suspicious, legal conduct is anyone's guess.
    To be honest I wouldn't expect the average Joe to know that open carry is legal in CT. BUT once the call is made the citizen should be told, "sir or ma'am, that's perfectly legal", so the onus is on the PD.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampLedge View Post
    Not to mention that this is just another reason why LEOs should not be allowed to posess more firepower than LACs.
    Oh boy, tell that to any public official and you will hear the whinnying ....

  25. #25
    Regular Member Maverick9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Mid-atlantic
    Posts
    1,505
    These LEOs would not do that if it were a woman OC-ing. So there you have the reason he would -say- that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •