• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had a conversation about OC with a Bloomfield LEO.

cteaglesfan

The million dollar question is, why do they have such a problem with Open carrying?

Is it beccause it makes their job more difficult because of all the 'man with a gun' calls??

Fallschirjmäger

The million dollar question is, why do they have such a problem with Open carrying?

Is it because it makes their job more difficult because of all the 'man with a gun' calls??
That certainly seems to be the perception, although why they are responding to reports of non-suspicious, legal conduct is anyone's guess.

cteaglesfan

That certainly seems to be the perception, although why they are responding to reports of non-suspicious, legal conduct is anyone's guess.

To be honest I wouldn't expect the average Joe to know that open carry is legal in CT. BUT once the call is made the citizen should be told, "sir or ma'am, that's perfectly legal", so the onus is on the PD.

Maverick9

These LEOs would not do that if it were a woman OC-ing. So there you have the reason he would -say- that...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just a random thought on how to possibly head this off at the pass.

Contact the PDs Internal Affairs unit and complete the formal complaint process. The name of the specific cop should not be necessary as the issue is either "some" cops on the force need better training (he said he's not the only one) or the training all cops are getting is bad/wrong.

This could be resolved by 5 minutes of "roll call training" where a memo from the head of training, countersigned by the chief, reminds all LEOs that OC is legal and <insert state law and or case law> in the authority for saying OC is legal. Have every LEO sign a statement of having received and understanding the training, which goes in both his training file and his personnel file.

Documentation that every swinging nightstick on the force, from the chief on down, has received and understands the training. Acting contrary to training and instruction received can get you terminated a lot faster than just plain screwing up regarding something you were never trained about.

As I said, just a thought.

stay safe.

PavePusher

So, I was at my sister's house for a BBQ recently. One of her guests was a LEO who works in Bloomfield on the force, and claims to have been working as a LEO for about 17 years. I was not carrying my firearm on me that day, but I raised the question with the officer: "How do you guys treat permit holder's open carrying in Bloomfield?" I can't remember word for word what he said, but I certainty caught some key points which alarmed me. He basically said: 'Don't do it. I don't know who you are if I see you open carrying, or if you're going to just start shooting or getting crazy. It's a good way to get yourself killed.' He then went on ranting about how himself or another officer might shoot you for those reasons (because they're concerned about their safety and you have a gun).

Now, I didn't want to start a debate with him at my sister's house or with all the little kids around, so I ended the discussion there. But can you imagine just OCing in town and a high-strung/nervous LEO draws out on you and potentially opens fire simply because you are going about your business while being legally armed?! Left me with this type of feeling: :uhoh:

Suggested response: "Oh.... so your training is [strike]for s#!*[/strike] not up to date.... got it. What is your supervisor's name?"

Ctclassic

Is it beccause it makes their job more difficult because of all the 'man with a gun' calls??

IMO, it's ALL about ego. MOST of the LEO's that are so against OC, have the biggest, badass ego's on the force. I rub elbows with some Ct Troopers as my job requires, but unforturately time doesn't permit casual discussion to talk OC. But I can say there ARE some decent troopers out there that appear to be your 'average joe' type. So, I guess what I'm saying is that the cops/troopers out there that "have a problem" with OCers are the ones who think *THEY* are the only one who should be allowed to carry openly for the world to see. Therefore, hate the idea that you and I can walk down the same sidewalk with our firearms exposed as they do.

Maverick9

IMO, it's ALL about ego. MOST of the LEO's that are so against OC, have the biggest, badass ego's on the force. I rub elbows with some Ct Troopers as my job requires, but unforturately time doesn't permit casual discussion to talk OC. But I can say there ARE some decent troopers out there that appear to be your 'average joe' type. So, I guess what I'm saying is that the cops/troopers out there that "have a problem" with OCers are the ones who think *THEY* are the only one who should be allowed to carry openly for the world to see. Therefore, hate the idea that you and I can walk down the same sidewalk with our firearms exposed as they do.

Exactly. There was even a new-ish female LEO that posted this as an opinion piece on her blog - how she initially was offended that her 'special-ness' was abridged by the fact that 'mere' LAC could carry (and protect themselves).

There's a couple LEOs that guard in the lobby at our local gun shows and one is the nicest guy. He has absolutely no problem with OC or whatever. In fact it's funny to see people, women, young couples wheeling virtual wheelbarrows (little carry carts) full of guns right past them to the parking lot and not one of them bats an eye.

The ego and 'peer interaction' Get a bunch of people together and you get kind of a 'mob ego'.

2 cents.