• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Etiquette – If you do decide to open carry...

Maverick9

If you consider your OC-ing to be just having a tool, like a cell phone, a Spyderco, a tactical flashlight, would you avoid carrying those in crowded places? Why not, someone could assault you and steal your iPHONE?

Just need to practice retention, have a retention holster, guard your personal space. The more crowded the space is the more likelihood that someone else would also be armed, even other OC-ers. OC with a partner if you must until you 'get over it'.

Dozens of people on this forum will be glad to tell you of OC-ing in crowded places with never an incident. It's a 'false premise', a fantasy that something bad will happen, just like antis who predicted a bloodbath in the streets when 'shall issue' laws were passed.

georg jetson

Gee... a 6 page article on some things to consider if you decide to OC... and no mention of training?! The number one most important thing to consider before OCing is training. Training in the law and with the firearm(retention being a high priority).

Training! Training! Training!

Then worry about if your cammo hat gives the wrong impression.

david.ross

The article is quite opinionated and should be considered mere opinion.

Dress how you want, but always keep in mind of your appearance. I always dress in my tactical pants and tactical jacket, though I'm usually wearing them even when I don't open carry. Has my black uniform ever been a problem? Nope. In fact it's had the opposite effect, every so often people believe I'm law enforcement, military or a guard. I'm usually engaged by people for directions or am merely ignored.

MKEgal

First of all, don’t play show and tell with your gun in public! Even though this would be no big deal at the range, it could be misconstrued as unsafe gun handling or even blandishment if done in public.
LOL

Quite a lot of opinion from someone who has probably never carried openly before.

Gil223

Quite a lot of opinion from someone who has probably never carried openly before.
And particularly good information at that. Just as gun laws vary widely from state-to-state, so does the definition of brandishing. In D.C. brandishing is defined as: "A person commits the offense of brandishing a weapon when the person exhibit s any deadly or dangerous weapon in a rude, angry or threatening manner" (the biggest problem I see with that is the [legal] term "rude" - very subjective). Utah law allows one to notify an aggressor and/or reveal without pointing (OC or lifting whatever conceals), but does not use the word "rude". Specifically,
76-10-506.

Threatening with or using dangerous weapon in fight or quarrel.

Every person, except those persons described in Section 76-10-503, who, not in necessary self defense in the presence of two or more persons, draws or exhibits any dangerous weapon in an angry
and threatening manner or unlawfully uses the same in any fight or quarrel is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
Pax...

jcwmla80

Anytime you locate a typo, especially in an article someone else wrote, please notify me immediately. I put a gold star by your name and it makes me understand how much smarter you are than all the rest of us. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 97

Gil223

Anytime you locate a typo, especially in an article someone else wrote, please notify me immediately. I put a gold star by your name and it makes me understand how much smarter you are than all the rest of us. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
For a moment I thought I detected a note of sarcasm there... then I realized it wasn't just a note, but an entire composition. How clever... :rolleyes:

Last edited: