• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC cartoon sums it up

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Actually I not so sure it does.

It makes the point that there are some that suffer from severe hoplophobia and perhaps some here will think that is funny, but to the ones with the paranoia it is very real.

Really though don't you think there is less and less of this extreme reaction as people become accustomed to honest, law abiding OCers.

I don't laugh at such people. I go out of my way to defuse their fears. I smile (a lot) nod pleasantly or engage them in small, pleasant chit-chat. After seeing me in or around several times, they frequently come up and ask me questions = a golden opportunity to educate in a friendly manner.

That an the OCer is the stereotype big bellied, white dude, wearing cowboy boots, with chin whiskers....Ok all that's all right, even the ball cap worn backwards which I despise.

The most egregious part of the depiction is his arms folded over his chest, indicating, as any student of psychology will tell you, a closed mind - not receptive.

Last edited:

jcwmla80

This is just satire. No, I have not had any negative encounters. I liked the cartoon. It's a cartoon. Take it for what you will. I greet everyone with a smile on my face and I am especially on my best behavior when open carrying.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is just satire. No, I have not had any negative encounters. I liked the cartoon. It's a cartoon. Take it for what you will. I greet everyone with a smile on my face and I am especially on my best behavior when open carrying.

I wasn't attacking you personally. I was sharing what I saw in the drawing. Diiferent people will see different things.

Even granny had her place - more and more women seem to be involved in crime these days.

eye95

The little kid should have wide eyes, a smile, and a though bubble saying, "Cool!" Hoplophobia is learned.

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed it.

Last edited:

mtlhdtodd

The little kid should have wide eyes, a smile, and a though bubble saying, "Cool!" Hoplophobia is learned.

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed it.

Possibly with the thought "Are you a cowboy?" like I was asked once by a youngin of about 5 or 6.

stealthyeliminator

I think it's pretty funny. I have a hard time imagining how it would come across if I wasn't the way I am, though. I mean, if I wasn't already solidly in support of open carry. I'm not sure I'd really "get it" Then again, I'd probably figure it out in a minute or two