• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEOs running serial numbers

davidmcbeth

Banned
View attachment 10545

They are pretty and you could do it with a dremel, but it takes a long time.

I saw a video on youtube of one guy doing just that .... with a dremel ...

But a drill press or mill is easier .... just some drill bits and some end mills are needed.

Making a receiver is relatively an easy affair ... a 80% conversion AK only requires a drill press ... an AR conversion takes more time for the lower; the completion of an AK takes a little bit more time than an AR ...

I have made quite a few of both over the years ... most with drill presses ... a mill is nice and safer but really not a requirement.

From 80% to a fully operational firearm ~ 2.5 hrs for me ... you can design your own too ... I have made "improvements" to both the AR and AK designs...and basically made a new designed gun. And you can make a AR/AK without using a 80% finished receiver..there are plans online using 3/16 plate stock and even plastic materials...

Once one makes a gun of their own or a build of their own, they may never buy another gun again.

Pass all the gun laws they want, one can simply design a gun that gets around the provisions of a law...just think of the law as a patent & get around the patent, like any American entrepreneur.

Maybe I should start a build-your-own gun club and have build parties .... fun fun fun .. manly fun.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
.....there are plans online using 3/16 plate stock and even plastic materials...

Maybe I should start a build-your-own gun club and have build parties .... fun fun fun .. manly fun.

The plate lower I saw last was made from diamond plate stock. Very impressive. There already is a build your own gun club and we do have build parties on occasion.

PatriotNvestor

So; as the e-mail says I have a piece of black tape over the serial number on my carry piece; will it stop LEO from running the number if he wants? NO. BUT it will make him cross a "red line" and if it goes that far one more "violation" in a 42 USC 1983 suit, or at the least a constitutional rights violation in a letter of complaint to internal affairs.

my EDC is a Glock Gen4 so there are serial numbers on the slide as well as the barrel from the factory... I'd have to assemble an aftermarket piece to get around that issue... Are other manufacturers shipping new from the factory without serial numbers on the slide and barrels??

Freedom1Man

my EDC is a Glock Gen4 so there are serial numbers on the slide as well as the barrel from the factory... I'd have to assemble an aftermarket piece to get around that issue... Are other manufacturers shipping new from the factory without serial numbers on the slide and barrels??

Aftermarket slide and barrel
Or your good old friend electrical tape.

sirpuma

I saw a video on youtube of one guy doing just that .... with a dremel ...

But a drill press or mill is easier .... just some drill bits and some end mills are needed.

Making a receiver is relatively an easy affair ... a 80% conversion AK only requires a drill press ... an AR conversion takes more time for the lower; the completion of an AK takes a little bit more time than an AR ...

I have made quite a few of both over the years ... most with drill presses ... a mill is nice and safer but really not a requirement.

From 80% to a fully operational firearm ~ 2.5 hrs for me ... you can design your own too ... I have made "improvements" to both the AR and AK designs...and basically made a new designed gun. And you can make a AR/AK without using a 80% finished receiver..there are plans online using 3/16 plate stock and even plastic materials...

Once one makes a gun of their own or a build of their own, they may never buy another gun again.

Pass all the gun laws they want, one can simply design a gun that gets around the provisions of a law...just think of the law as a patent & get around the patent, like any American entrepreneur.

Just remember, while you're thinking of putting firearm dealer and manufacturers out of business, should that firearm of yours blow up on you or someone else, you're liable for damages or injuries. Hope you have some good insurance.

DamonK

OK, redirect guys. Specifically the legality of them running your serial number while pulled over for speeding.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Freedom1Man

OK, redirect guys. Specifically the legality of them running your serial number while pulled over for speeding.

What does the serial number on you gun have to do with you being accused of committing a traffic violation?
They police cannot legally demand to check the S/N of your firearm for a mere traffic stop. If they could check the S/N of your firearm, legally, then they could check the S/N on your car stereo, your phone, music player, etc.

So, in short they have ZERO right to run the S/N of your weapon unless they have a report of a stolen weapon matching the description of what you're carrying along with a description matching you having been accused of steeling it. Then, they can get a warrant.

F350

Just requires all kinds of tools I don't have, but the aspect of having a gun you made yourself certainly has a pride factor to it,in addition to no records being kept

All it requires is a drill press, you can get the jig and drill bits from the supplier of the receivers, you do not need a mill or any fancy machines.

In my case it was a group purchase so the price of the jig and bits was spread among several purchasers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKz2sLJUvGU

amlevin

Do be careful with what you use to cover the SN. Permanently or attempting to permanently remove or alter the SN of the firearm is a federal crime.

I have a firearm that has the serial number covered by the scope mount which is bedded in place. Will take a torqx driver to remove it but the serial number is still totally intact. Just like the e-mail from the ATF above stated, this doesn't violate any Federal Law.

If it did, then just about any hunter with a scope on his 1903 Springfield based custom rifle would be violating the law.

If you want something to cover a serial number on a handgun, try Gorilla Tape. That crap sticks to just about anything and takes forever to get it off once it's been there a while.

I'm sure that someone will put a semi-permanent tape over the serial number and then run into some "Barney Fife" out there that will try and charge him for possessing an illegal firearm. Count on it.

Lastly, what happens when the cop just whips out his SOG knife and SCRAPES off the tape???

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

I have a firearm that has the serial number covered by the scope mount which is bedded in place. Will take a torqx driver to remove it but the serial number is still totally intact. Just like the e-mail from the ATF above stated, this doesn't violate any Federal Law.

If it did, then just about any hunter with a scope on his 1903 Springfield based custom rifle would be violating the law.

If you want something to cover a serial number on a handgun, try Gorilla Tape. That crap sticks to just about anything and takes forever to get it off once it's been there a while.

I'm sure that someone will put a semi-permanent tape over the serial number and then run into some "Barney Fife" out there that will try and charge him for possessing an illegal firearm. Count on it.

Lastly, what happens when the cop just whips out his SOG knife and SCRAPES off the tape???

$$ $ $ $ $

XmmAuto

Concerning Federal Agency's

Back when I was stationed in Westport WA with the United States Coast Guard Reserve,
every time that an LE team would go out for boardings on privately owned vessels they
would ask of there were any weapons. If there were they would record and run the serial every time.
I asked about this and was told that they technically only to record and run serial numbers on any NFA
firearms as that they were federally regulated. However the Commanding Officer wanted all
serial numbers ran regardless of the type of firearm.
I suppose this could lead to some high $ payouts as boardings are similar to a
traffic stop in that they are looking for required safety equipment, licensing, drug and alcohol compliance etc. I know for a fact that they will not be nice if you refuse.

DamonK

What does the serial number on you gun have to do with you being accused of committing a traffic violation?
They police cannot legally demand to check the S/N of your firearm for a mere traffic stop. If they could check the S/N of your firearm, legally, then they could check the S/N on your car stereo, your phone, music player, etc.

So, in short they have ZERO right to run the S/N of your weapon unless they have a report of a stolen weapon matching the description of what you're carrying along with a description matching you having been accused of steeling it. Then, they can get a warrant.

I actually agree with you. What I'm looking for is the case law that supports our interpretation.