• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEOs running serial numbers

bmg50cal

Back when I was stationed in Westport WA with the United States Coast Guard Reserve,
every time that an LE team would go out for boardings on privately owned vessels they
would ask of there were any weapons. If there were they would record and run the serial every time.
I asked about this and was told that they technically only to record and run serial numbers on any NFA
firearms as that they were federally regulated. However the Commanding Officer wanted all
serial numbers ran regardless of the type of firearm.
I suppose this could lead to some high $ payouts as boardings are similar to a
traffic stop in that they are looking for required safety equipment, licensing, drug and alcohol compliance etc. I know for a fact that they will not be nice if you refuse.

Wow, a coastie that does not know what Title 14 U.S.C. does... oh wait someone mentioned the reserve component. ;)

Basicly getting stopped by the USCG is in no way shape and form like getting pulled over for a burned out tail light or failing to signal a lane change. It is another game entirely. :p

XmmAuto

Wow, a coastie that does not know what Title 14 U.S.C. does... oh wait someone mentioned the reserve component. ;)
Basicly getting stopped by the USCG is in no way shape and form like getting pulled over for a burned out tail light or failing to signal a lane change. It is another game entirely. :p

Title 14 USC Part I Chapter 5 subsection 89
The Coast Guard may make inquiries, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests upon the high seas and waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, for the prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of laws of the United States. For such purposes, commissioned, warrant, and petty officers may at any time go on board of any vessel subject to the jurisdiction, or to the operation of any law, of the United States, address inquiries to those on board, examine the ship’s documents and papers, and examine, inspect, and search the vessel and use all necessary force to compel compliance. When from such inquiries, examination, inspection, or search it appears that a breach of the laws of the United States rendering a person liable to arrest is being, or has been committed, by any person, such person shall be arrested or, if escaping to shore, shall be immediately pursued and arrested on shore, or other lawful and appropriate action shall be taken; or, if it shall appear that a breach of the laws of the United States has been committed so as to render such vessel, or the merchandise, or any part thereof, on board of, or brought into the United States by, such vessel, liable to forfeiture, or so as to render such vessel liable to a fine or penalty and if necessary to secure such fine or penalty, such vessel or such merchandise, or both, shall be seized.
(b) The officers of the Coast Guard insofar as they are engaged, pursuant to the authority contained in this section, in enforcing any law of the United States shall:
(1) be deemed to be acting as agents of the particular executive department or independent establishment charged with the administration of the particular law; and
(2) be subject to all the rules and regulations promulgated by such department or independent establishment with respect to the enforcement of that law.
(c) The provisions of this section are in addition to any powers conferred by law upon such officers, and not in limitation of any powers conferred by law upon such officers, or any other officers of the United States.

So am I to believe that this section of title 14 exempts the Coast guard from following the 4th amendment?
The Coast Guard does indeed have to enforce all laws. Even the Constitution.

Also does the status of being a reservist somehow make one individual inferior or less knowledgeable then an active duty counterpart?

Freedom1Man

SNIP

So am I to believe that this section of title 14 exempts the Coast guard from following the 4th amendment?

Also does the status of being a reservist somehow make one individual inferior or less knowledgeable then an active duty counterpart?

I guess we'll have to figure out which "United States" they have authority to do those searches in. http://freedom-school.com/code-defines-united-states.pdf The code you refer to does not say that it applies in the 50 states and territories yada yada yada.

So it would seem that the coast guard does not have authority over a citizen's water craft at all. It does talk about vessels however in my 10 minutes of reading I did not look into what is defined, legally, as a vessel. I have drinking vessels and I am sure that the coast guard has no authority over them.

DamonK

I guess we'll have to figure out which "United States" they have authority to do those searches in. http://freedom-school.com/code-defines-united-states.pdf The code you refer to does not say that it applies in the 50 states and territories yada yada yada.

So it would seem that the coast guard does not have authority over a citizen's water craft at all. It does talk about vessels however in my 10 minutes of reading I did not look into what is defined, legally, as a vessel. I have drinking vessels and I am sure that the coast guard has no authority over them.

In nautical terms, a vessel is any type or size of boat. And it is legal terminology.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

hermannr

The Coast Guard may make inquiries, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests upon the high seas and waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, for the prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of laws of the United States. For such purposes, commissioned, warrant, and petty officers may at any time go on board of any vessel subject to the jurisdiction, or to the operation of any law, of the United States, address inquiries to those on board, examine the ship’s documents and papers, and examine, inspect, and search the vessel and use all necessary force to compel compliance. When from such inquiries, examination, inspection, or search it appears that a breach of the laws of the United States rendering a person liable to arrest is being, or has been committed, by any person, such person shall be arrested or, if escaping to shore, shall be immediately pursued and arrested on shore, or other lawful and appropriate action shall be taken; or, if it shall appear that a breach of the laws of the United States has been committed so as to render such vessel, or the merchandise, or any part thereof, on board of, or brought into the United States by, such vessel, liable to forfeiture, or so as to render such vessel liable to a fine or penalty and if necessary to secure such fine or penalty, such vessel or such merchandise, or both, shall be seized.
(b) The officers of the Coast Guard insofar as they are engaged, pursuant to the authority contained in this section, in enforcing any law of the United States shall:
(1) be deemed to be acting as agents of the particular executive department or independent establishment charged with the administration of the particular law; and
(2) be subject to all the rules and regulations promulgated by such department or independent establishment with respect to the enforcement of that law.
(c) The provisions of this section are in addition to any powers conferred by law upon such officers, and not in limitation of any powers conferred by law upon such officers, or any other officers of the United States.

I expect that sometime, someone is going to take this law to court for the CG overstepping the 4A.

XmmAuto

I know you weren't asking me directly but here is the definition of vessel per the United States Code

Title I chapter 1 subsection 3

The word “vessel” includes every description of watercraft or other artificial contrivance used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on water.

The reason I posted originally was that I personally witnessed federal law enforcement officers
seizing and recording serial numbers of lawfully owned firearms during boardings of privately owned
"Vessels"

Now all persons consented to seizure and subsequent search as most do not know thier rights or are to afraid to assert thier rights to armed federal agents.

So lets look at a hypothetical situation.

A citizen is out enjoying an afternoon of fishing at Westport Wa.
Said citizen is lawfully and legally open carrying a firearm. While returning to the boat ramp
The USCG stops the citizen and boards his vessel. When the Boarding Officer asks if thier are any weapons on board the citizen says yes and without reaching for or touching the firearm turns to show the officer. Knowing his rights the citizen advises the officer that he objects to any seizure of the firearm and using the serial number for search or to be recorded. The Boarding Officer disregards and disarms the citizen anyway unloading his firearm and running the serial number. After conducting a inspection of the vessel, the officer finds no violations and proceeds to hand the citizen back his unloaded firearm and then leaves.

Was the citizens 4th amendment rights violated by the Boarding Officer?

rapgood

I guess we'll have to figure out which "United States" they have authority to do those searches in. The code you refer to does not say that it applies in the 50 states and territories yada yada yada.

I expect that sometime, someone is going to take this law to court for the CG overstepping the 4A.

Cite please.

The Coast Guard is a border-security enforcement entity. One has no 4Am rights at the border (nor, effectively, for 100 miles within any U.S. border), citizen or not. We don't have to like it, but it is the law. Seems just plain wrong, huh?

Freedom1Man

The Coast Guard is a border-security enforcement entity. One has no 4Am rights at the border (nor, effectively, for 100 miles within any U.S. border), citizen or not. We don't have to like it, but it is the law. Seems just plain wrong, huh?

Any law the violates the constitution is void as though it was never written.

Lammo

Dig through this, multiple cases that limit the scope of a traffic stop to the issuing of a ticket. It is specific to WA and is from the AGO to LEOs in WA

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/images/LE_Legal_Update_ current through August 2 2012.pdf

Another good resource is the Search and Seizure manual published by the Washington Association of Prosecuting Attorneys (WAPA), which can be found here: http://www.waprosecutors.org/MANUALS/search/May 2012 final Search Seizures and Confessions.pdf

The manual is updated once a year at minimum, more often if there is a major change (like something on the order of Arizona v. Gant, 556 U.S. 332 (2009)).

Lammo

I saw a video on youtube of one guy doing just that .... with a dremel ...

But a drill press or mill is easier .... just some drill bits and some end mills are needed.

Making a receiver is relatively an easy affair ... a 80% conversion AK only requires a drill press ... an AR conversion takes more time for the lower; the completion of an AK takes a little bit more time than an AR ...

I have made quite a few of both over the years ... most with drill presses ... a mill is nice and safer but really not a requirement.

From 80% to a fully operational firearm ~ 2.5 hrs for me ... you can design your own too ... I have made "improvements" to both the AR and AK designs...and basically made a new designed gun. And you can make a AR/AK without using a 80% finished receiver..there are plans online using 3/16 plate stock and even plastic materials...

Once one makes a gun of their own or a build of their own, they may never buy another gun again.

Pass all the gun laws they want, one can simply design a gun that gets around the provisions of a law...just think of the law as a patent & get around the patent, like any American entrepreneur.

Maybe I should start a build-your-own gun club and have build parties .... fun fun fun .. manly fun.

There's a good article from The Firearm Blog on building an AR from an 80% lower. There are two parts to the article, find them here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/05/02/billet-rifle-systems-80-receiver-part/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...tch-billet-rifle-systems-80-receiver-part-ii/

Beyond my skills at this point but maybe someday I'll have the time to give this a go.

Last edited:

amlevin

There's a good article from The Firearm Blog on building an AR from an 80% lower. There are two parts to the article, find them here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/05/02/billet-rifle-systems-80-receiver-part/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...tch-billet-rifle-systems-80-receiver-part-ii/

Beyond my skills at this point but maybe someday I'll have the time to give this a go.

Just remember, you have to do all the remaining 20% of the work yourself. If you "borrow" someone else's tools and equipment great, but YOU have to operate them or the ATF will nail someone for illegal "manufacturing".

Freedom1Man

Just remember, you have to do all the remaining 20% of the work yourself. If you "borrow" someone else's tools and equipment great, but YOU have to operate them or the ATF will nail someone for illegal "manufacturing".

Rent, borrow one is friendly and the other is business. I think it would be interesting to rent out equipment for people to make their own parts with.

sudden valley gunner