• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped and illegally searched for open carrying in front of my house in Winchester

Esanders2008

Stopped and illegally searched for open carrying in front of my house in Winche

First step is contact an attorney. I recommend giving Dan Hawes a ring. His website is, I believe, virginialegaldefense.com

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Money from what? VA cities must throw it around much more freely than, for instance, the ones in Ohio.

Well, if he can establish that his rights were violated under color of law, he can seek damages. Virginia has some pretty good laws to use when pursuing damages for such acts, as opposed to the Federal 1984 statute.

And no, Virginia cities do not throw the money around freely than they do in Ohio. It may just be that we are better at getting damage awards.

stay safe.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Well, if he can establish that his rights were violated under color of law, he can seek damages. Virginia has some pretty good laws to use when pursuing damages for such acts, as opposed to the Federal 1984 statute...
VERY interesting.

Could you link to those? Sounds like something similar would be useful to have in Ohio.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
You see stuff like this is what irritates me. A thread about nothing or 20 pages of a thread about something that only a handful of people know what it is.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
You see stuff like this is what irritates me. A thread about nothing or 20 pages of a thread about something that only a handful of people know what it is.

I agree it should be a dead thread TD but the guy posted the details, was told to delete it and call a lawyer....which he did. The rest is behind the curtain until the fat lady sings.

There are always tnings that have to stay out of daylight. I have a 3" stack of legal filings on my desk now that involve your stomping ground. It may be another year before they hit the light, Grapeshot and I paid a place a visit the other day and had a great time....at least a couple of weeks before it gets talked about.

Sorry....BTW, I'm not involved in this one other than telling him to delete and shut up.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I agree it should be a dead thread TD but the guy posted the details, was told to delete it and call a lawyer....which he did. The rest is behind the curtain until the fat lady sings.

There are always tnings that have to stay out of daylight. I have a 3" stack of legal filings on my desk now that involve your stomping ground. It may be another year before they hit the light, Grapeshot and I paid a place a visit the other day and had a great time....at least a couple of weeks before it gets talked about.

Sorry....BTW, I'm not involved in this one other than telling him to delete and shut up.
It may be secondary, but it was edu-ka-shunal. So much under construction.

P.S. Don't walk on the grass.

Last edited: