• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this legal? (Debt Collection)

Aaron1124

This "Mike Anderson" has contacted me and left me three voicemails, day after day, continually leaving the same message. "This is Mike Anderson from Process Verifications. I am calling to see if someone will be available in the morning to receive legal documents that have come across my desk, and have been marked as red flagged. If no one will be available to pick up these legal documents tomorrow morning, you will need to call the legal offices immediately, at 1-877-300-4842. Looks like there have been two attempts to get the documents out to you, and they were both failed attempts. We will make one third and final attempt to get these documents to you. If you do not receive them, this could lead to an FTA, which is a failure to appear."

I've gotten three voicemails from this same guy, day after day. There are no "legal documents" at all. This guy is not even announcing himself as a debt collector, either. Yet, when I talked to him, he claimed that I could make a payment to him, even though he's allegedly with a "process serving" company. It doesn't make any sense at all, but I am aware the debt is legit. This seems very... shady and unethical, at the very least.

bob888

I have dealt with numerous debt collectors in the past and I am not afraid of them.

In fact, I've actually deal with fewer calls as of recent as a result of me showing up on lists like WebRecon for being very litigous against their kind.

I would suggest posting your problems at pro-consumer sites like Debtorboards if you are interested more than just dealing with them. :)

(Edit: Check this thread out for an example of someone's attack against a collector)

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

This "Mike Anderson" has contacted me and left me three voicemails, day after day, continually leaving the same message. "This is Mike Anderson from Process Verifications. I am calling to see if someone will be available in the morning to receive legal documents that have come across my desk, and have been marked as red flagged. If no one will be available to pick up these legal documents tomorrow morning, you will need to call the legal offices immediately, at 1-877-300-4842. Looks like there have been two attempts to get the documents out to you, and they were both failed attempts. We will make one third and final attempt to get these documents to you. If you do not receive them, this could lead to an FTA, which is a failure to appear."

Tell Mike Anderson to get off his ass and deliver them to you.

the RCW requires the summons be delivered personally to you or your authorized agent or left at your house with someone of suitable age and discretion if you're not available to take it when they come

RCW 4.28.080
Summons, how served.

Service made in the modes provided in this section is personal service. The summons shall be served by delivering a copy thereof, as follows:

(15) In all other cases, to the defendant personally, or by leaving a copy of the summons at the house of his or her usual abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then resident therein.

(16) In lieu of service under subsection (15) of this section, where the person cannot with reasonable diligence be served as described, the summons may be served as provided in this subsection, and shall be deemed complete on the tenth day after the required mailing: By leaving a copy at his or her usual mailing address with a person of suitable age and discretion who is a resident, proprietor, or agent thereof, and by thereafter mailing a copy by first-class mail, postage prepaid, to the person to be served at his or her usual mailing address. For the purposes of this subsection, "usual mailing address" does not include a United States postal service post office box or the person's place of employment.

Last edited: