• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Google claims the ability to "upload your mind" within 30 years

EMNofSeattle

FUQ

In just over 30 years, humans will be able to upload their entire minds to computers and become digitally immortal - an event called singularity - according to a futurist from Google.
Ray Kurzweil, director of engineering at Google, also claims that the biological parts of our body will be replaced with mechanical parts and this could happen as early as 2100.
Kurweil made the claims during his conference speech at the Global Futures 2045 International Congress in New York at the weekend.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...replaced-machines-90-years.html#ixzz2WiWcEKZw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Part of this is interesting, they claim your entire conciense can be uploaded to a digital network, giving you "Digital immortality" (so long as the network remains active I guess)

will this happen? frankly I hope not, and I think he's being extreme about the actual capabilities of doing this. but raises interesting questions. for instance if this happens, would it prove religions wrong as your death could still result in your continued existance? on that note, can government or big companies become a new sort of religion, that is you are good and they allow your mind to be "uploaded" into a heaven type scenario, or simply allow you to die off or be uploaded into a "purgatory" state? could it be the digital realization of the "white and black lodge" mythology of the early 90s hit TV shot Twin Peaks?

Scary and yet exciting at the same time, but in the end I would hope this project fails....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
LOL!

I wonder if he is bragging about Google's pace, or making a prediction about the mental advancement of Man?

WalkingWolf

I imagine it will happen sooner, technology is already used in the body for injuries. I can see nano chips being used to repair brain damage. With that you can expect that the mind will be able to communicate with computers wireless.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I imagine it will happen sooner, technology is already used in the body for injuries. I can see nano chips being used to repair brain damage. With that you can expect that the mind will be able to communicate with computers wireless.

Pssst. Shhhh. Don't tell them, but thinking "at" a computer is not the same as uploading consciousness.

EMNofSeattle

Pssst. Shhhh. Don't tell them, but thinking "at" a computer is not the same as uploading consciousness.

Exactly, I can imagine loading maybe the details of everyone's memories, lessons, experiences, Etc into a computer network, but actual consciousness, the ability of yourself to be self aware, thinking, feeling, knowing, learning, can that be preserved? That's what they're making it sound like.

Maverick9

This is really 'old news'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

In addition the capability, i.e. FLOPS equaling the speed of a human brain (1 exaflops, or 10e18 calculations per second), and we're in the peta or teraflop now.

Some people think that's not a good estimation and prefer to measure it otherwise:
http://www.enel.ucalgary.ca/IJCINI/ICfCI/JB&M-Vol4-No2-HMC.pdf

Despite the fact that the number of neurons in the human brain has been identified in cognitive and
neural sciences, the magnitude of human memory capacity is still unknown. This paper reports the discovery of
the memory capacity of the human brain, which is in the order of 10e8432 bits

Thus we will need a computer with the amount of storage and the amount of speed to be close or exceed that of a human brain. However how we will 'upload' the content of the human memory (engrams?) into it is still speculative. So this article is kind of 'pseudo-science'.

FWIW

sudden valley gunner

Hmmm for fun should we the future political, religious, ethical fights that may ensue if this was possible.

Do you get to choose to upload, and if so are you conscious in two different forms?

Can you choose to kill your digital self? What happens if you get a virus? Would it be murder if someone eliminates your program? The possibilities to ponder are endless.

eye95

Where are the flying cars? I was promised flying cars.

Scientists like to make future predictions about technology. The almost always get it wrong. Sometimes things happen faster than scientists think they will. More often, they happen later or never. We got to the Moon faster. Flying cars haven't happened mostly because there isn't a general sense that they will be worth the effort to invent a useful, cost-effective, and marketable flying car. Other technology and systems have obviated the once-perceived need for them.

In this case, I think we are much farther away because the scientists are underestimating the size and the nature of human consciousness. Many think that computers are a good model of what is happening inside a brain and the computer memory is analogous to human memory. I think they are being arrogant with this thinking.

Ironically, until they find a way to build that arrogance into an electronic intelligence, no way they store a consciousness!

WalkingWolf

I hope you do realize that there are flying cars, and have been for years. The technology is not practical, but certainly has been proven.

eye95

And, light-sabers!! I was promised light-sabers!

:D

You can get them in most toy stores. They just don't have the full functionality you probably want. On the upside, the law does not require that they have orange tips. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>