Thread: Gun control Goliath cries foul as David fights back; I-591 thread

Gun control Goliath cries foul as David fights back; I-591 thread

Within hours of yesterday’s announcement that Washington State gun rights leaders were mounting a defense against a big-money gun control initiative launched last week, the well-funded Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility (WAGR) was crying foul in a blanket e-mail appealing for more money to pad its $1 million-plus war chest.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gun-...id=db_articles

Get out the crying towels for gun prohibitionists...

Funny, because I'm an NRA member, and the NRA has no problems calling me at 6 in the morning to ask for money when they actually plan to fight something. no 6 am calls so my guess is already that WAGR is blowing smoke...

nice article.

Dave, I was reading back old news stories about I-676 back in the 90s, do you think there's any chance we could pull a repeat on that? also can we get law enforcement to overwhelmingly oppose this measure like the last one?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Funny, because I'm an NRA member, and the NRA has no problems calling me at 6 in the morning to ask for money when they actually plan to fight something. no 6 am calls so my guess is already that WAGR is blowing smoke...

nice article.

Dave, I was reading back old news stories about I-676 back in the 90s, do you think there's any chance we could pull a repeat on that? also can we get law enforcement to overwhelmingly oppose this measure like the last one?

Difficult to say but I doubt it. I-676 was a special case, so far over-reaching and so jammed with stuff that nobody but the anti gunners liked it. It even lost in King County!

We'll certainly welcome any LEO support we can get, and of course county sheriff endorsement of I-591 would be a good thing,

What it will take tok dok a repeat of that '97 election is for EVERYBODY on this forum, on NW Firearms, Shooters Northwest, Hunting-Washington, Seattle Guns, and any other local groups to VOTE.

There should be no room for gun owners who let others carry their water.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Workman View Post
    There should be no room for gun owners who let others carry their water.
    Amen

We need to get all of our friends and family, even non-gun people, to get on board too.
    Last edited by hermannr; 06-20-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Heh, if the NRA was as powerful as the anti-gun nuts like to say it is, we wouldn't be fighting them about right to carry a handgun or attempts to ban civilian ownership of hunting rifles.

We'd be fighting them on their attempts to ban civilian ownership of howitzers.

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    Heh, if the NRA was as powerful as the anti-gun nuts like to say it is, we wouldn't be fighting them about right to carry a handgun or attempts to ban civilian ownership of hunting rifles.

We'd be fighting them on their attempts to ban civilian ownership of howitzers.
    Davy Crockett nuke launchers.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

I ordered 50 copies so I could gather signatures at the store I manage.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

OUTSTANDING!!!!

Gun show brings out grassroots for I-591 kick-off

It may not be the biggest crowd the Washington Arms Collectors ever attracted to its monthly gun show at the fairgrounds in Puyallup, but they are an enthusiastic bunch and Saturday morning saw WAC members signing Initiative 591, the “Protect Our Gun Rights” (POGR) measure announced earlier in the week.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gun-...id=db_articles

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    where can you order those forms?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

now just to ponder... what the hell happens if BOTH 591 and 594 pass? I mean lets say the WA leg decides not to get in the middle of this, submits both to the people and somehow both get passed? what happens when two contradictory initiatives pass at ballot?

NRA Member

Gun control Goliath cries foul as David fights back; I-591 thread

now just to ponder... what the hell happens if BOTH 591 and 594 pass? I mean lets say the WA leg decides not to get in the middle of this, submits both to the people and somehow both get passed? what happens when two contradictory initiatives pass at ballot?
    Exactly, think this one through and you may be surprised with the answers.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Exactly, think this one through and you may be surprised with the answers.
    The real answer is "nobody knows" since it hasn't happened before and the AG's office didn't really give an answer in the last "close call" (the liquor initiatives).

The Legislature can modify an initiative within the first 2 years with a 2/3 majority vote and after 2 years they only need a simple majority. The best guess is that the Legislature would pick and choose what they want from each initiative and then modify as needed.

Then there are the Courts. If both were to pas you can pretty well bet that the Courts will be involved sooner or later. Nobody is going to want to lose in this battle.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Bring a sheet to the Kitsap picnic if you can. I'll sign it on my lunch break.
    "Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world." ~ Musashi

where can you order those forms?

Contact POGR @

425 -454- 4911

write to
    12500 N.E. Tenth Place
    Bellevue, WA 98005

send e-mail to
    YesOn591@liberty.seanet.com

I want to publicly recognize Nick Smith (gogodawgs) and Jim Beal (DEROS) for showing at the WAC gun show Saturday and tipping us off to the Kitsap shindig in July.

Either (or both) Alan and I should be there and Initiative sheets will be available.

I was on with Kirby Wilbur on KVI Monday morning. He did a great job of firing people up about I-591. Call it "the sensible background check initiative."

"Save your gun, sign 5-9-1!"

Bodies v. big bucks in background check battle with national implications

They came from across the state, from Bellingham to Vancouver, converging over the weekend on the Puyallup fairgrounds, to sign copies of Initiative 591 and get blanks to take back home, where they will have neighbors, friends and local gun shops fill up the sheets; a grassroots army stirred to action by the fear of Seattle-based big money buying away their gun rights.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bodies-v-big-bucks-background-check-battle-with-national-implications
    Last edited by Dave Workman; 06-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.

My guess would be the one that can survive a constitutional challenge does so...and the one that would not gets early scrutiny and fails.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    My guess would be the one that can survive a constitutional challenge does so...and the one that would not gets early scrutiny and fails.
    Dont forget who pays these statist judges........and that many of them don't give much more than lip service to the constitution.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

We have requested sig sheets for the OC table at the Whatcom County events. A couple more gunshows, the Bloedel Donovan picnic in july and the Gay Pride festival on the 14th are coming up soon.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington