• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun control Goliath cries foul as David fights back; I-591 thread

Dave Workman

Within hours of yesterday’s announcement that Washington State gun rights leaders were mounting a defense against a big-money gun control initiative launched last week, the well-funded Washington Alliance for Gun Responsibility (WAGR) was crying foul in a blanket e-mail appealing for more money to pad its $1 million-plus war chest.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gun-control-goliath-cries-fowl-as-david-fights-back?cid=db_articles

:cuss: :banghead:

Get out the crying towels for gun prohibitionists...

EMNofSeattle

Funny, because I'm an NRA member, and the NRA has no problems calling me at 6 in the morning to ask for money when they actually plan to fight something. no 6 am calls so my guess is already that WAGR is blowing smoke...

nice article.

Dave, I was reading back old news stories about I-676 back in the 90s, do you think there's any chance we could pull a repeat on that? also can we get law enforcement to overwhelmingly oppose this measure like the last one?

Dave Workman

Funny, because I'm an NRA member, and the NRA has no problems calling me at 6 in the morning to ask for money when they actually plan to fight something. no 6 am calls so my guess is already that WAGR is blowing smoke...

nice article.

Dave, I was reading back old news stories about I-676 back in the 90s, do you think there's any chance we could pull a repeat on that? also can we get law enforcement to overwhelmingly oppose this measure like the last one?

Difficult to say but I doubt it. I-676 was a special case, so far over-reaching and so jammed with stuff that nobody but the anti gunners liked it. It even lost in King County!

We'll certainly welcome any LEO support we can get, and of course county sheriff endorsement of I-591 would be a good thing,

What it will take tok dok a repeat of that '97 election is for EVERYBODY on this forum, on NW Firearms, Shooters Northwest, Hunting-Washington, Seattle Guns, and any other local groups to VOTE.

There should be no room for gun owners who let others carry their water.

Difdi

Heh, if the NRA was as powerful as the anti-gun nuts like to say it is, we wouldn't be fighting them about right to carry a handgun or attempts to ban civilian ownership of hunting rifles.

We'd be fighting them on their attempts to ban civilian ownership of howitzers.

Freedom1Man

Heh, if the NRA was as powerful as the anti-gun nuts like to say it is, we wouldn't be fighting them about right to carry a handgun or attempts to ban civilian ownership of hunting rifles.

We'd be fighting them on their attempts to ban civilian ownership of [strike]howitzers.[/strike]

Davy Crockett nuke launchers.

Dave Workman

I ordered 50 copies so I could gather signatures at the store I manage.

OUTSTANDING!!!!

Gun show brings out grassroots for I-591 kick-off

It may not be the biggest crowd the Washington Arms Collectors ever attracted to its monthly gun show at the fairgrounds in Puyallup, but they are an enthusiastic bunch and Saturday morning saw WAC members signing Initiative 591, the “Protect Our Gun Rights” (POGR) measure announced earlier in the week.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gun-show-brings-out-grassroots-for-i-591-kick-off?cid=db_articles

EMNofSeattle

now just to ponder... what the hell happens if BOTH 591 and 594 pass? I mean lets say the WA leg decides not to get in the middle of this, submits both to the people and somehow both get passed? what happens when two contradictory initiatives pass at ballot?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
now just to ponder... what the hell happens if BOTH 591 and 594 pass? I mean lets say the WA leg decides not to get in the middle of this, submits both to the people and somehow both get passed? what happens when two contradictory initiatives pass at ballot?

Exactly, think this one through and you may be surprised with the answers.

amlevin

Exactly, think this one through and you may be surprised with the answers.

The real answer is "nobody knows" since it hasn't happened before and the AG's office didn't really give an answer in the last "close call" (the liquor initiatives).

The Legislature can modify an initiative within the first 2 years with a 2/3 majority vote and after 2 years they only need a simple majority. The best guess is that the Legislature would pick and choose what they want from each initiative and then modify as needed.

Then there are the Courts. If both were to pas you can pretty well bet that the Courts will be involved sooner or later. Nobody is going to want to lose in this battle.

Dave Workman

where can you order those forms?

Contact POGR @

425 -454- 4911

write to
12500 N.E. Tenth Place
Bellevue, WA 98005

send e-mail to
YesOn591@liberty.seanet.com

I want to publicly recognize Nick Smith (gogodawgs) and Jim Beal (DEROS) for showing at the WAC gun show Saturday and tipping us off to the Kitsap shindig in July.

Either (or both) Alan and I should be there and Initiative sheets will be available.

I was on with Kirby Wilbur on KVI Monday morning. He did a great job of firing people up about I-591. Call it "the sensible background check initiative."

"Save your gun, sign 5-9-1!"

Bodies v. big bucks in background check battle with national implications

They came from across the state, from Bellingham to Vancouver, converging over the weekend on the Puyallup fairgrounds, to sign copies of Initiative 591 and get blanks to take back home, where they will have neighbors, friends and local gun shops fill up the sheets; a grassroots army stirred to action by the fear of Seattle-based big money buying away their gun rights.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bodies-v-big-bucks-background-check-battle-with-national-implications

Last edited:

Difdi

My guess would be the one that can survive a constitutional challenge does so...and the one that would not gets early scrutiny and fails.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
We have requested sig sheets for the OC table at the Whatcom County events. A couple more gunshows, the Bloedel Donovan picnic in july and the Gay Pride festival on the 14th are coming up soon.