• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

customs & border patrol harassing private pilots

MKEgal

This page intentionally left blank to ensure proper formatting of the real post, not having it messed up by the ad that's usually in the right of this space.

MKEgal

The AOPA is reporting harassment of some private pilots by CBP, for flights which start, continue, and end within US borders.
Apparently some people have been detained for hours while agents tear up their planes & property.

Here's a letter from the AOPA to the CBP. Among other things, they're taken to task for trying to say that the response to the AOPA open records request (which apparently has a 20-day window) would take 6 months.
http://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/AOPA/Home/News/All News/2013/June/CBPWinkowski20130619.pdf

Here's their advice to pilots, in a form meant to be printed & carried.
http://www.aopa.org/-/media/Files/AOPA/Home/News/All News/2013/June/CBPGuidelinesKneeboard.pdf

nobama

Its funny how the tyrants in the office (progressives) want nothing more than to let millions of "undocumented, potential voters" into our country but have a real problem with law abiding Americans. If these pilots were muslim they would be left alone.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Its funny how the tyrants in the office (progressives) want nothing more than to let millions of "undocumented, potential voters" into our country but have a real problem with law abiding Americans. If these pilots were muslim they would be left alone.

<chuckle> So, maybe lots of private aircraft owners should paint Arabic lettering on their fuselages. Maybe some nose art of a burka-clad woman, a few palm fronds, crossed scimitars?

When the BP shows up to "inspect", just ask which way is east, and then unroll your prayer mat in that direction. :D

eye95

It is uncanny how similar that advice is to the advice that many give to OCers regarding encounters with LE.

BTW, it is unfortunate that you had to post that disclaimer in your first post.