• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Next election - will you vote for Perry?

stealthyeliminator

So, I understand that it's not necessarily "Perry's fault" that open carry died. However, Perry did have an opportunity to add it to the special session. I also understand that a special session probably has very limited time and resources, and must be restricted to discussing only the most critical issues. That being said, I believe that protecting (or in the case of Texas, re-enabling) our 2A rights is most definitely a relevant enough topic for discussion during a special session. Will Perry having failed to add it to the agenda lead you to vote for someone else during the next election? If so, who are you eyeing?

bushwacker

So, I understand that it's not necessarily "Perry's fault" that open carry died. However, Perry did have an opportunity to add it to the special session. I also understand that a special session probably has very limited time and resources, and must be restricted to discussing only the most critical issues. That being said, I believe that protecting (or in the case of Texas, re-enabling) our 2A rights is most definitely a relevant enough topic for discussion during a special session. Will Perry having failed to add it to the agenda lead you to vote for someone else during the next election? If so, who are you eyeing?

would love to see ron paul have a go at it

tx-skydiver

Any real conservative would do the trick. I've never been a fan of Perry. He talks a strong talk but walks a different line as far as I'm concerned. Typical politician.

I heard today that Greg Abbott will run if Perry decides to not go for another term.

()pen(arry

Don't be too ridiculous. Of course you're going to vote for him. Anyone who isn't wouldn't even wonder, let alone ask the question.

And Rick Perry knows it. And that's why he doesn't give two ***** what you want from him.

NMOCr

Im moving to Texas next month, and love open carrying in NM. I will deeply miss it in TX. Need to get the OC gun laws changed there! :)

KBCraig

It looks like voting for Perry is going to be irrelevant -- he announced today that he's not running for reelection.

Whether he runs for any other office remains to be seen.

The next Texas gubernatorial race is going to be ugly. It will be uber-feminist Wendy Davis, against a Republican who will either be a lame attempt to convince the left that they don't hate women, or the next coming of the Taliban hoping for enough religious conservative votes to power on through.

I'll be gone to New Hampshire by then, but it will be entertaining.... from a distance.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Isn't Ventura going to run? Assuming he does not keep his promise to leave the US.

He's wacky ... but on gun issues, he's spot on most aspects I think.

RoyGBiv

It looks like voting for Perry is going to be irrelevant -- he announced today that he's not running for reelection.

Whether he runs for any other office remains to be seen.

The next Texas gubernatorial race is going to be ugly. It will be uber-feminist Wendy Davis, against a Republican who will either be a lame attempt to convince the left that they don't hate women, or the next coming of the Taliban hoping for enough religious conservative votes to power on through.

I'll be gone to New Hampshire by then, but it will be entertaining.... from a distance.

Greg Abbott will be an even better friend to gun owners than was Perry (who was a pretty good friend himself).
If Davis runs, she'll get some of the City votes, but not nearly enough to win.

The "gun problem" in TX would be quickly resolved with the removal of Joe Strauss as House Speaker. For some as-yet-not-understood reason, Joe (an alleged Republican) appointed Democrat Chairmen to the two committees responsible for vetting most gun-related House legislation. All the best gun bills die in committee without a vote. Strauss has built a coalition of Democrats to vote for his continued speakership, and has enough R votes to put him over the top.... That needs fixing..

From the Abbott link:
Abbott has described his job as "I go into the office in the morning, I sue Barack Obama, and then I go home."

Last edited:

matt dillon

just a news article on Greg Abott

In my interview with Attorney General Greg Abbott I made sure I got his opinion on the 2nd Amendment, especially since the gun control debate is in full swing here in Texas and nationally. He started off by wanting to make sure that the readers of this blog knew that the 2nd Amendment debate isn’t just about guns, but about all the liberties guaranteed to us under the U.S. Constitution. Abbott stated that, “If the government begins to erode any of our liberties, they can erode all of our liberties.” This statement should ring true for most of us and I’m glad General Abbott understands this fact because most elected officials don’t.

Further on in our conversation about guns, General Abbott also brought up why we are having the gun control debate in the first place and that is because of the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. The mood in the room became somber as he spoke about how no parent should even have to consider the horrifying thought of not being able to pick up their child because they were gun downed at school. However, he did go on to say that, “Whenever we are trying to address a tragedy it should be addressed in a way that will solve it. We are talking about guns, but the debate about what the possible solutions are, aren’t really addressing the problem which is violence in our society.”

Abbott went on to say that people often look to limit our 2nd Amendment rights, but when they do that they don’t solve the problem they were looking to solve. He used the City of Chicago as his first example. Abbott noted their mayor, Rahm Emanuel, bragged about having some of the toughest gun bans in the country and touted they have confiscated more guns than any other city in the U.S. However, when you look at the numbers, Chicago remains one of the most violent cities because of gun crime. Conversely, border towns like El Paso, where its citizens are allowed to concealed carry, can be a relatively safe town, despite the fact they border one of the most violent cities, Juarez, Mexico (where once again citizens face strong gun bans).

I saved the last question of the interview to ask General Abbott if he supported open carry. I wanted to get a clear answer, so I just asked for a “Yes” or “No” answer and he responded with a, “Yes.” He later added that he felt an open carry law would have similar success as the Concealed Handgun License Laws have had in Texas.

HPmatt

I want to say that Juarez is up to 7,000 people killed in drug cartel turf war. Everyone that can get across to El Paso (including the drug lord families) have done so. Relatives there have businesses in Mexico and they never drive and/or fly the same way twice. They also use fake names on facebook and newspaper pictures so they won't get kidnapped. Several recent incidents of 'stray bullets' hitting houses and UT El Paso buildings - third world is a few hundred yards away from 'regular Texas'. Not aware of anything Gov Abbott has to tighten up on the Border, but OC would be helpful on the border, as well as in the urban jungles.