• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Owners of TCPs and LCPs.

FreeInAZ

If you are carrying without a round in the chamber, you may want to rethink carrying. I mean this in a constructive way not critical. These are very small guns meant for close range encounters. This is a OC forum so the assumption would be you plan to OC one. Still, to draw and use your other hand to rack the slide assumes you have space and time. Many pistol battles take place at very, very close range and the distance opens up as both parties scramble for cover, and move away from the incoming rounds. Do you honestly think you can draw, load & fire (accurately - under stress) while being attacked by someone who may be at ams length? The TCP has no safety (as most pocket guns don't)...so if you are CCing one (which will take longer to draw usually) you need to use a decent pocket holster & wear clothes that allow for a easy draw. Just my opinion, but carrying any pistol in a condition that requires a two hand loading action while drawing and getting on target, is really pushing ones luck. Good luck & stay safe.

ETA - carry TCP(s) & other pocket guns loaded with a round in chamber. These pistols use long trigger pull (TCP/P32/P3AT/LCP) to act as a safety to prevent unintentional firing. My P32 has such a stiff slide spring, I doubt if I could rack the slide under stress without knocking myself out - if my grip slipped. :p

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I can't even imagine why this is even a consideration... God knows it comes up enough on some gun websites. I have two mouse guns (Kel-Tec P3AT and Ruger LCP). I prefer the LCP and carry it in a pocket when I do carry it. Because of the trigger action (DAO) and its long and rather heavy pull, this is a safe gun to carry in this manner. Just don't have things like keys in the same pocket.

WalkingWolf

The hammer is not exposed in both guns, and the FP is inertia just like a 1911. I would have no problem carrying either with a round in the pipe.

Plus that is a lot of handling for a pocket gun. Getting from the pocket or holster racking, and then firing does not seem practical. It is your choice when it boils down to it. And some people can draw and rack on a military sized weapon faster then others can lift their shirt or reach in a pocket. But we are not talking about a military Hi Power carried by a Israeli soldier, you are asking about a pocket pistol.

Last edited:

kubel

I have an LCP and pocket carry with a round in the chamber. It's got a very long and heavy trigger pull, so no worries there. If you are concerned, get a rigid pocket holster (like DeSantis, not like Uncle Mike's), but in all honesty, it would take an act of God to pull the trigger without your finger on the trigger.

Not convinced? Unload it (and check it), then put it in the holster. Try as hard as you can to pull the trigger while it's holstered. Won't happen.

autosurgeon

I know several guys that carry with the chamber empty... When I ask why they come up with some bull about how they are afraid the gun will go off around there grandchildren. My response is why would that change anything if you are using a quality holster that covers the trigger? They come up with more bull that makes no sense.

I personally think if you are concerned about chambered carry then you need a different gun, holster or more training or a combination of these. Almost all quality pistols are designed to be carried with one in the chamber.

I think any extra manipulation under stress is likely to introduce failures... And that could cost you your life.

Do you think Zimmerman could have racked his slide with someone on top of him beating him? Example only I don't care whether you agree with the synopsis as presented in the case.

WalkingWolf

I know several guys that carry with the chamber empty... When I ask why they come up with some bull about how they are afraid the gun will go off around there grandchildren. My response is why would that change anything if you are using a quality holster that covers the trigger? They come up with more bull that makes no sense.

I personally think if you are concerned about chambered carry then you need a different gun, holster or more training or a combination of these. Almost all quality pistols are designed to be carried with one in the chamber.

I think any extra manipulation under stress is likely to introduce failures... And that could cost you your life.

Do you think Zimmerman could have racked his slide with someone on top of him beating him? Example only I don't care whether you agree with the synopsis as presented in the case.

W-e-l-l I agree with you mostly, but Zimmerman came very close to being unconscious. If the attacker did not know to rack a round after taking the gun, yea it could have meant the difference between a severe beating and a GSW.

I liked the feature on S&W M39 that if you dropped the magazine the gun would not fire. A FHP used that feature while being severely beaten about 20 years ago while the attacker tried to get her gun. She survived, and amazingly she managed to keep her gun in her holster.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I carry a TCP occasionally for back-up. I usually carry it chambered in an IWB holster in the small of my back. I agree with those who have said it doesn't make much sense to carry an un-chambered gun. This is especially true if you carrying it as a back-up. If you're going for your back-up gun you've got way too many things to be focused on than remembering to rack a round before you shoot.