• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC Attorney General Office Announcing OC in car Illegal

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I stand by my account of the conversation.

Yes, it's taken me a while to respond, and I do not have a fraction of the number of posts as you Grapeshot, but look at the other posts that I did post on this forum.

I'm relatively new to the OC community. I became interested in firearm laws, and exercising 2A about a year ago as a political focus on our right to bear arms became a prominent topic. I'm now an NRA member, proud owner of several firearms, and look forward to further discussion with you all.

I posted the conversation on this forum immediately after the phone call because of its absurdity.

Well we do all put our pants on the same way - have the same expectation that what we say will be judged on its merits.

The real depth of the problem lies in the title claim that the AG "office" announced anything related to OC in a car/vehicle. It just ain't so. Had your title and the related post indicated that a false claim had been made by a low level employee, then I doubt anyone would have taken exception to the story, though they might well have encouraged you to file a complaint - I stand in both of those camps.

First the "office" never makes "announcements." Whomever you spoke to would be subject to reprimand for having offered those thoughts to you.

Second and of primary importance is that when an official AG opinion is issued, it is always done in writing.

Third and almost equally important is that the AG never gives legal advice directly (you would be told to seek the advice of a private attorney) and never responds formally to a request for an opinion from citizens of the state. Requests are made by members of the 3 branches of the state government and state agencies. The AG is the attorney for the state - in fact if you challanged the legality of a state statute in court via a suit, you would face him as the defense attorney (state's attorney).

A belated welcome to the forum cirrusly. Knowledge is power - collect as much of it as you can and use it responsibily.

Last edited:

chris829

The more I think about it the opening post does not sound kosher. Possible, but highly improbable.

Maybe it is a troll from another board, I have been engaging a few on HPFF. A young lady from WI asked about OC, and I directed her to OCDO, as well as another member. Her thread has turned into a train wreck of OC bashing by a few OC haters, I doubt she will return. Hopefully she took my advice, but have not seen a post yet that I think is her.

I could though be responsible for some of these loons coming to our site to troll~~I am truly sorry if that is the case. Give me a sec and I will link the thread.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f297/uncomfortable-about-ocing-first-time-301852/

I left HPFF in august 2011 when it was bought out by money hungry corporate a-holes.

OC for ME

Well, a AG minion has spoken, it seems. Do we need to discuss what the visiting citizen should do if his vehicle does not have a trunk? Call that AG minion back and ask for clarification.

cirrusly

In this case I ended up leaving the firearms at home. I was going for a guys weekend in which there was heavy drinking. And regardless of the law it's my personal standard that I won't have as much as a beer if I'm carrying for defense.

Conversely- I don't condemn those who want to legally OC and have a beer. (Which IS legal here in VA).

carolina guy

In this case I ended up leaving the firearms at home. I was going for a guys weekend in which there was heavy drinking. And regardless of the law it's my personal standard that I won't have as much as a beer if I'm carrying for defense.

Conversely- I don't condemn those who want to legally OC and have a beer. (Which IS legal here in VA).

It is legal for someone to OC in NC and imbibe. Perhaps not advisable, but certainly legal. CC is another case, although I doubt that is enforced.