Thread: Is Open Carry legal in Georgia

Is Open Carry legal in Georgia

I have Ohio CCW permit and HATE the anti-gun laws in Georgia and the fact they do not recognize Ohio permit. I had a situation (or one that could have become one) while traveling through Georgia, but had to leave gun in car. I was approached by a shady individual asking for money at a gas station. It has happened several times in the past, but this time it did not appear to look like someone poor/homeless guy, which bothered me even more. Red flags went up, but the guy walked away (after asking twice for money) and all was good. I saw a video recently ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkv_lyBsA2M Can anyone confirm this for an out-of-stater?

the laws here are great

why dosnt ohio reconize our license do you have mandated training? or other infringements?
    ar15 sbr glock 19 beretta m9
    Proud Lifetime georgia carry member
    nam vet

Banned

Is Open Carry legal in Georgia

Ohio requires 12 hours of training. They don't reciprocate with States that don't have that requirement. My Alabama license is no good in Ohio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

To put it in the most polite and succinct terms I can....Cory needs to take another look at the Code and get a better understanding of the law.

To paraphrase OCGA 16-11-126:
    (a) You don't need a license (GWCL) on your property, in your home or vehicle, or your place of business
    (b) You don't need a GWCL to carry a long gun, but if it's loaded you can't conceal it.
    (c) You don't need a GWCL if the pistol is unloaded and encased.
    (d) You don't need a GWCL to carry in anyone else's vehicle, but they can legally tell you not to.
    (e) If you have a license that Georgia recognizes, you can carry if you obey all the Georgia laws.
    (f) If you're legally hunting or fishing, you can carry without a GWCL while you are hunting or fishing. Or engaged in sport shooting.
    (g) If you have a GWCL you can carry in parks, recreational areas, and public transportation except where prohibited by federal law. (You can legally carry on MARTA, but you can't legally carry past the secure areas at Atlanta International Airport to carry on Delta.)

I'd probably add that you don't need a GWCL if you are exempted by 16-11-130, (police officers, county prosecutors, judges, jailers, soldiers, sailors, airmen, or marines, etc.)
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 06-21-2013 at 08:47 PM.

eye95 thank you for answering mark5019's question, which is a good response to me...I wish all states got along with respect to the permits. Heck I wish all states would allow all forms of carry without a permit. Fallschirmjäger, thank you for posting that. I went back and rewatched that video and read the new comments posted that are rightfully hounding Cory as spreading innacurate info IS bad. Again thanks guys!

sorry guys i know this is an old one, but i don't think the question was answered.

is open carry legal in GA?

i would like to know. thanks
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    sorry guys i know this is an old one, but i don't think the question was answered.

I believe the answer is YES, but you must have a permit (either Georgia Carry License or a license from a state they recognize). The permit allows for either Open or Concealed carry.

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com

http://www.handgunlaw.us/ is your friend. Quick answers to most state firearm information.

swing by PA next time youre close and apply(have to do it in person now) for a LTCF its like 25$ and will get you Georgia

Georgia recognizes ALL permits that recognize the Georgia permit; if a state is marked in red it's because that State does not recognize the Georgia permit.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 10-21-2013 at 11:39 PM.

it absolutely is . all you need is a firearms permit most people call concealed carry weapons permit ... it's actually called a permit to carry .. go down to your local probate court and file the paperwork and pay your money . Georgia is a shall issue state !!!!!!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Type in Reciprocity map in Google and it will bring you to a page with the latest map.....

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

papa bear, Georgia does not have carrying "openly" or "concealed." The license is just a license to carry, and how you do it, openly or concealed is up to you. In addition, your North Carolina license is good here to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by cmr287 View Post
    it absolutely is . all you need is a firearms permit most people call concealed carry weapons permit ... it's actually called a permit to carry .. go down to your local probate court and file the paperwork and pay your money . Georgia is a shall issue state !!!!!!
    A minor correction. In Georgia it is called a "Georgia Weapons Carry Licence" OR "Georgia Weapons Licence".

Georgia requies a permit to carry a handgun. Open or Cocnealed is at your discretion.

No permit is needed for long guns. If you've got balls enough to be "that guy" for the constitution, join me someday... ;-)

I roll up to Valdosta with my RFB from time to time. Mostly to play Ingress downtown. Only Denny's has ever given me lip about it, so I don't go there anymore. Sometiems I only go as far as Sonny's in Lake Park.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.