• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No more open carry in Harmons Grocery in Utah was stopped by plain clothes security

geerad

Was stopped and told that open carry is no longer alowed in any Harmons in Utah anymore I have been a customer for 32 years well not anymore. The reason for them stopping me was that they think it may disturb their shoppers but it's strange that the man who stopped me was plain clothed and carying a pistol too, well by using that logic he would be scaring off customers also, plus it is not listed anywhere on the entyways of the store, It is sad that I have been shopping there for over 30 years and carrying for most of it and now it comes to this I recommended they post no carry on their entrances to avoid further issues but they didn't seem to be concerned about it I spoke with Kent Haslam the general Manager of the Roy Utah Harmons and according to him it is a recent decision for all harmons stores in Utah after JC Pennys, well I guess I'll go to the other open carry friendly store Down the street and spend my hard to come across money these days I would rather spend it somewhere that does not hassle me for something I have been doing by the law for over 20 years, I was a little nervous myself when an unidentified man in no uniform followed me out with a gun on him I think he should have been uniformed in a more identified way, talk about making people nervous following me around with a gun. This is just so you fellow oc'rs know they are no longer alowing it even though it's not posted. I have been open carrying for so long and I have never been bothered I was kind of upset by this incident especially since I have been spending close to 400-500 dollars a month there and now I no longer feel welcome. Thanks for listening fellow open carry praticers.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I recommended they post no carry on their entrances...

...I was a little nervous myself when an unidentified man in no uniform followed me out with a gun on him I think he should have been uniformed in a more identified way, talk about making people nervous following me around with a gun. This is just so you fellow oc'rs know they are no longer allowing it even though it's not posted. I have been open carrying for so long and I have never been bothered I was kind of upset by this incident especially since I have been spending close to 400-500 dollars a month there and now I no longer feel welcome...

Please do not ask them to post it. It doesn't legally mean anything anyway, and we should not be conditioning ourselves to look for signage. And the next OC person will also have to be personally approached and asked to leave. If it happens often enough; they'll quit asking and start realizing it is normal.

You are going to write an actual letter to management, right? In it, make sure you specify how long you've been a customer, and that even if there was a problem, you should have been approached in a much more professional manner, not after LEAVING, and being FOLLOWED (focus on those points), whereupon you actually had no obligation to remain in a conversation with him, and indeed perhaps still do not know exactly who he was (did he offer credentials?)

Last edited:

jpm84092

indeed perhaps still do not know exactly who he was (did he offer credentials?)

Most security do wear uniforms, particularly when openly armed. DEFINITELY write to Harmon's Corporate Management and let them know that their restrictions on your perfectly legal and constitutionally protected activities has helped the future bottom line of their competitors.

Yellow Cat Out -

Maverick9

Plain clothes and carrying a pistol? Doesn't make sense; I guess it's possible, shirt, tie, pants, OC on belt. But no badge? How is he any different from a LAC dressed well.

It's so strange, that I think the OP is confused (despite the longest sentence in forum history, heh).

I say go back and get a picture of this guy (ok, CC your gun at that time). Follow him around. If he objects say you were told by the manager that what he was doing was illegal. Hilarity should ensue.

Utah_Patriot

Then I guess they loose my family's business with a family of six you could imagine how much I spend.

Guess I well be shopping back at Wal-Mart who is tolerant of my open carry.

call anytime 8014487574

geerad

Plain clothes and carrying a pistol? Doesn't make sense; I guess it's possible, shirt, tie, pants, OC on belt. But no badge? How is he any different from a LAC dressed well.

It's so strange, that I think the OP is confused (despite the longest sentence in forum history, heh).

I say go back and get a picture of this guy (ok, CC your gun at that time). Follow him around. If he objects say you were told by the manager that what he was doing was illegal. Hilarity should ensue.

Sorry About the longest sentence in history, I am in the progress of putting together a letter to the owners. I asked the store manager when I called him after the incident to let him know that it was odd this man was not in uniform no badge or security outfit of any kind, the only thing he had was slacks and a black shirt more or less business attire, the Manager told me that the man was an Ogden city Police officer, this whole ordeal has me pretty upset. I did tell the GM I was going to post the incident online just to let people know how the way the whole thing went down seemed odd. I have carried in there for so many years and have never had anyone even give me a second look, thanks for the feedback I just mainly want the open carry community to know how things seem to be going these days at least here.

RemohGramps

Sorry About the longest sentence in history, I am in the progress of putting together a letter to the owners. I asked the store manager when I called him after the incident to let him know that it was odd this man was not in uniform no badge or security outfit of any kind, the only thing he had was slacks and a black shirt more or less business attire, the Manager told me that the man was an Ogden city Police officer, this whole ordeal has me pretty upset. I did tell the GM I was going to post the incident online just to let people know how the way the whole thing went down seemed odd. I have carried in there for so many years and have never had anyone even give me a second look, thanks for the feedback I just mainly want the open carry community to know how things seem to be going these days at least here.

That's pretty sad to hear. I don't shop at Harmon's very much, but that will change now, and I'll stop supporting them since they don't support me.

Hurray for Walmart and other 2A friendly grocery stores!

DocWalker

Well they have just lost a lot of customers; I was down there this weekend. My brother lives in Roy, parents in Syracuse, son in Clearfield as well as family all over the place. I just sent them all messages to stop using Harmonds as most of my family believes in the US Constitution and half of us served in the US Military defending it.

The Harmond corp. office needs to read this thread.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
I don't even live in Utah, but spend upwards of 2000.00 for the trips that I take to Park City, Kamas, Francis to visit friends at least 3 or 4 times a year.
We always stop at Harmons on our way out of the city. I love their food selections and the fresh bread, but will start going to Smith's instead.

rushcreek2

Now WHO exactly has had their "feelings" offended by a LAC carrying ? Concerned are they now...perhaps that "some Californian" might be "offended" by a citizen who is not defenseless ?

I carry openly in my local Colorado Springs grocery stores regularly. I spend a LOT of money there too . They appreciate my presence because the sight of an armed customer increases overall security for ALL of their customers.

Last edited:

Logan 5

Yeah, I found that out, didn't I? LOL!
MISTER "general manager"! LOL!

Honestly, I think that what you've done so far is right. We don't have a Harmons down here, so no lose of my money to them it seems.

Last edited: