• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

midlothian walmart

thedevilrobyjohn

Had just walked in to the midlothiam walmart with my two young daughters and my 67 year old disabled mother. Was pushing a cart withnmy two daughters in it when I was approached by shift manager Paul....he introduced himself and said that firearms were not allowed in the store and that I must put the weapon in my vehicle. I said I have open carried in walmarts all over the state for years and witness it everyday. He said its private property and that Va law doesnt hold there. I said I am leaving but I wanted the name of someone higher than him. He said I dont have to leave but I have to put the gun in my vehicle. I said I dont believe that he is representing corporate policy and I asked him if I was being singled out on his own account or is he representing company policy...he said I had frightened some customers. I said that I am legally carrying and that I hadnt even spoken to anyone, looked at anyone or anything out of the way whatsoever. I went to the car, put my .45 colt up and returned to the customer service counter, I asked if there was someone there higher than him...I was told no by some supervisor. This same supervisor said he sees guns in there all of the time and that he knew of no policy against firearms in the store. I agreed and said that I felt as if I had been singled out and discrimination occurred. I was given the corporate number and the store number as well as the managers name....I called thecorporate number and relayed all of this info as well as the fact that we spend more than $ 400 per week in walmart and visit walmart more than5 times per week...we also have all of our prescriptions there. My mother was going to have her hair done and my wife her nails, but we were asked to leave. I was told that the incident would be sent to the store manager by corporate and that the store manager would contact me personally within 3 days.
It doesnt change the legality of it but maybe perception, I wear snake skin boots with a cowboy hat and a ivory handled .45 colt in a crossdraw rig just in front of front pants pocket..perhaps if it were neatly seated in a snug fitting slide holster like a business man, nothing would have been said

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No comment on how you dealt with it, as nothing was egregiously "wrong".

Please do follow up. Follow-up by phone might be easier and less time consuming. If you do not alread have the equipment for recording your phone calls fo and spend the few bucks to get it.

The store manager, if Paul is not the head honcho, is the place to start. If no satisfaction there you just work up the food chain. Remember to get names (full names) before you get into any conversations. And be sure to use their name when talking with (notice I did not say "talking to") them. If you need to go past the District Manager to the Regional Manager I will be surprised. WalMart is known for their policy of following whatever the local law is. The higher up you have to go for someone to tell Paul that the worse it is going to be for him.

It's strange that Paul would not tell the customers who went to him saying they were frightened by seeing you walking around with a gun that you were breaking no law unless you did nomething to overtly threaten someone, but semed to have no problem telling you to put your gun in the car.

I do not recommend this to anybody else, but once in a while if I am feeling really annoyed with someone who wants me to put the gun in the car I will explain how that risks having it stolen, and ask instead if I could put it in their safe while I shop. I will not mention which Assistant Manager of which CVS drug store at the intersection of Walmsly Blvd and Turner Rd said that would be OK. ::headpalm:: (According to a friend who works for a different chain, there was probably between $10K and $20K in the safe.)

stay safe.

FreeInAZ

Well they way one dresses can cause simple minded folk to make judgements. Wal-mart's is a wishy washy in that they allow store manager's to make the call. That's an awful lot of power (life & death) to put in the hands of a shift manager or for that matter the produce manager! What would they say if said managers started kicking out arab looking people because they could be terrorists? Or black people with african accents because they might be a underwear bomber? Or bald white men because they could be members of a white power group? Seems to be a really slippery slope. IMHO. Wonder what the payout would be to your surving family if some kook walked up to the customer service counter and gunned you down after the manager had forced you to disarm? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

thedevilrobyjohn

Well they way one dresses can cause simple minded folk to make judgements. Wal-mart's is a wishy washy in that they allow store manager's to make the call. That's an awful lot of power (life & death) to put in the hands of a shift manager or for that matter the produce manager! What would they say if said managers started kicking out arab looking people because they could be terrorists? Or black people with african accents because they might be a underwear bomber? Or bald white men because they could be members of a white power group? Seems to be a really slippery slope. IMHO. Wonder what the payout would be to your surving family if some kook walked up to the customer service counter and gunned you down after the manager had forced you to disarm? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Funny thing about that is that ill never completely disarm...they cant see all of my **** and they focus on open carry....its getting worse for me instead of better....is this a trend reserved for me....Im at the frontlines...card carrying member of nra and vcdl....most of my wardrobe is progun, pro 2nd....I ALWAYS carry....Ive said it before and ill say it now.....open carry takes a special kind of person or my kind of person learning to deal with stupid people better....how much of a ******* threat am i holding an infant and pushing a child while guiding my disabled mother and crippled wife....my god....im a target for criminals because my hands are so full and my attention is so diverted.....my mom has her concealed in her purse, but its the open carry that lights the fuse....im just frustrated....**** i was in a good mood and hoping to find something at the ammo counter...tired of paying greentops inflated prices

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Funny thing about that is that ill never completely disarm...they cant see all of my **** and they focus on open carry....its getting worse for me instead of better....is this a trend reserved for me....Im at the frontlines...card carrying member of nra and vcdl....most of my wardrobe is progun, pro 2nd....I ALWAYS carry....Ive said it before and ill say it now.....open carry takes a special kind of person or my kind of person learning to deal with stupid people better....how much of a ******* threat am i holding an infant and pushing a child while guiding my disabled mother and crippled wife....my god....im a target for criminals because my hands are so full and my attention is so diverted.....my mom has her concealed in her purse, but its the open carry that lights the fuse....im just frustrated....**** i was in a good mood and hoping to find something at the ammo counter...tired of paying greentops inflated prices

I can't answer your question but it doesn't take a special person to OC, it's just a preferred method for some of us for different reasons.

Open carry has always been the norm for country folks and in fact, some places were impossible to get CWP's in. (They were CWP's then)

The new trend in open carry is in the Burbs and cities. When I first got on this site I made the observation that black holsters drew less attention than brown. The hardy boys from NOVA jumped on me about that right off. Thankfully most of them are long gone and playing James Bond with CHP's now.

I'll make the same observation now about guns. Glocks draw less attention than revolvers. I assume because Cops carry Glockish guns,:lol: Sooooo....when I'm going somewhere I don't want to attract attention (or it's raining), I carry a Glock or Beretta.

The point of all this rambling is that how you appear does shape how management will deal with complaints and if there are any complaints to deal with.

thedevilrobyjohn

I can't answer your question but it doesn't take a special person to OC, it's just a preferred method for some of us for different reasons.

Open carry has always been the norm for country folks and in fact, some places were impossible to get CWP's in. (They were CWP's then)

The new trend in open carry is in the Burbs and cities. When I first got on this site I made the observation that black holsters drew less attention than brown. The hardy boys from NOVA jumped on me about that right off. Thankfully most of them are long gone and playing James Bond with CHP's now.

I'll make the same observation now about guns. Glocks draw less attention than revolvers. I assume because Cops carry Glockish guns,:lol: Sooooo....when I'm going somewhere I don't want to attract attention (or it's raining), I carry a Glock or Beretta.

The point of all this rambling is that how you appear does shape how management will deal with complaints and if there are any complaints to deal with.

I remember back in the day before my bones ached so bad in Martinsville,you had to have a reason for ccp and go before the sherriff or judge. I open carried, then as a bouncer, I got a ccp. I moved to the city from a 72 acre farm in Bassett. Now ccps are as common as a cold. City versus county, yep ..you are correct

TFred

I'm not sure this is true. Does anyone know of a Walmart that banned OC, which when properly followed up with the management chain was allowed to stand?

From what I understand, if properly pursued, all Walmart incidents have been resolved in the favor of legal carry according to local / state law.

Please correct me if that is wrong.

TFred

FreeInAZ

I'm not sure this is true. Does anyone know of a Walmart that banned OC, which when properly followed up with the management chain was allowed to stand?

From what I understand, if properly pursued, all Walmart incidents have been resolved in the favor of legal carry according to local / state law.

Please correct me if that is wrong.

TFred

Never said they banned OC. Their official policy is they follow state law. This said store manager have asked OC to leave citing management's authority. That's where the rub comes in. Once corporate is contacted usually a response is received by the OCer that things have been resolved with that particular manager or employee. To me it seems Wal-mart is (maybe not on purpose) trying to have it both ways?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Hold on a second.....

You said.....
Had just walked in to the midlothiam walmart with my two young daughters and my 67 year old disabled mother. .........when I was approached by shift manager Paul....he introduced himself and said that firearms were not allowed in the store and that I must put the weapon in my vehicle.

and then you said.....

Funny thing about that is that ill never completely disarm...they cant see all of my **** and they focus on open carry...............my mom has her concealed in her purse.....

So, after we learned how you illegally trespassed at Cracker Barrel here - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114820-cracker-barrel-on-gaskins....

Now you go to Wal-Mart and are told that no firearms are allowed, so you put your OC'd gun in the car, and then you and your mother both trespassed in Wal-Mart with your concealed carry guns?

Wow......just wow.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Popcorn.jpg

thedevilrobyjohn

Hold on a second.....

You said.....

and then you said.....

So, after we learned how you illegally trespassed at Cracker Barrel here - http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?114820-cracker-barrel-on-gaskins....

Now you go to Wal-Mart and are told that no firearms are allowed, so you put your OC'd gun in the car, and then you and your mother both trespassed in Wal-Mart with your concealed carry guns?

Wow......just wow.

no, we went to the vehicle where she remained with my daughters..never returning to the store...when i say other ****...i am an avid knife thrower and blade fanatic, never said bug this time...at cracker barrel, yes. at walmart no...funny that i only had one gun but the others were in the vehicle. wow, thats right...a person who believes that protecting his family is important..wow just wow...reminds me of why i canceled my registration a year or so ago. I was just wondering about other experiences and giving a heads up, i could give a **** about anyones personal opinion or ******* know it all attitudes...i work many many hours and cant sit online all day.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
no, we went to the vehicle where she remained with my daughters..never returning to the store...when i say other ****...i am an avid knife thrower and blade fanatic, never said bug this time...at cracker barrel, yes. at walmart no...funny that i only had one gun but the others were in the vehicle. wow, thats right...a person who believes that protecting his family is important..wow just wow...reminds me of why i canceled my registration a year or so ago. I was just wondering about other experiences and giving a heads up, i could give a **** about anyones personal opinion or ******* know it all attitudes...i work many many hours and cant sit online all day.
You might want to take a deep breath, clear your head, and not test the limits of language filters.

No one has said that desiring to protect your family was a bad thing. How you do that and where are considerations though. We do not break the law and we do not violate directives by private property owners.

I am curious about the "canceled my registration" thing - you aren't referring to this site are you?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just a little more and not to really criticize, just change direction a little. There are a ton of internet sites where one can go to talk about armed revolt, best ways to break the law and not get caught, how to exact revenge on the Corporate overseers....so on.

OCDO is a little different. Most of us open carry at least some of the time. The goal here is to have the most knowledgeable and active group in this country.

We do that by discussing the laws, knowing them completely, how to change them,how to challenge authority that does not want to follow the law and how to educate the anti's.

We've been fairly successful at that and even though there is a ton of...figh...er, spirited debate over some subjects, it's academic not subversive. Plenty of other places to discuss the best way to tie shoelaces together so the fellow falls on a sharp stake.

FWIW at least one of the members in this discussion had a similar problem with a Walmart. He has taken quite a bit of pride in essentially slapping the Manager and Guard involved, by contacting the Corporate office and correcting the attitude of the locals.

thedevilrobyjohn

Just a little more and not to really criticize, just change direction a little. There are a ton of internet sites where one can go to talk about armed revolt, best ways to break the law and not get caught, how to exact revenge on the Corporate overseers....so on.

OCDO is a little different. Most of us open carry at least some of the time. The goal here is to have the most knowledgeable and active group in this country.

We do that by discussing the laws, knowing them completely, how to change them,how to challenge authority that does not want to follow the law and how to educate the anti's.

We've been fairly successful at that and even though there is a ton of...figh...er, spirited debate over some subjects, it's academic not subversive. Plenty of other places to discuss the best way to tie shoelaces together so the fellow falls on a sharp stake.

FWIW at least one of the members in this discussion had a similar problem with a Walmart. He has taken quite a bit of pride in essentially slapping the Manager and Guard involved, by contacting the Corporate office and correcting the attitude of the locals.

not interested in any crazy websites like that, would like the same resolution as this other member had. Was doing nothing wrong and mine and my families day was ruined, was under the impression...after years of practice that walmart was just fine. It is just a report of possible policy changes in effect at that walmart or an over zealous anti with power? Its not my neck of the woods anyway...was just there for a birthday party. In Ashland, I routinely meet and speak with open carriers every day or so.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
not interested in any crazy websites like that, would like the same resolution as this other member had. Was doing nothing wrong and mine and my families day was ruined, was under the impression...after years of practice that walmart was just fine. It is just a report of possible policy changes in effect at that walmart or an over zealous anti with power? Its not my neck of the woods anyway...was just there for a birthday party. In Ashland, I routinely meet and speak with open carriers every day or so.
"We follow the laws of the state in which the store is located" has become the common quote from regional and corporate management. Sometimes that message does not filter down to all local new managers and/or is confused with restrictions on employees carrying while working. It is an on going educational process for both Wal-Mart and ourselves to keep local managers well informed.

I think Wal-Mart could do a better job of training the mgt. personnel, but at least they are responsive and do get it right eventually when a problem occurs. It is always a good thing to carry a digital recorder, get the name of the person to whom you spoke, and follow through on up the feeding chain.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Hold on a second.....

You said.....

Had just walked in to the midlothiam walmart with my two young daughters and my 67 year old disabled mother. Was pushing a cart withnmy two daughters in it when I was approached by shift manager Paul....he introduced himself and said that firearms were not allowed in the store and that I must put the weapon in my vehicle.

and then you said.....

Wow......just wow.

Just because I really do get off on beating deceased equines:

Let us not forget

he said I had frightened some customers

which had to have happened some time after you had "just walked in" and were told to leave your gun outside.

Would it be too much to ask that you keep the story straight? Even if it does begin "Once upon a time ...." I'll still enjoy it if it's told well. But the internal inconsistencies make my head hurt.

stay safe.

TFred

Alright, we know we don't agree on this, but here's what drives me nuts...

Simple reading of the OP's scenario: Walks in OC'ing, someone complains to manager, manager asks him to put his gun in the car, OP complies.

Even though this particular case may not line up, assume OP IS carrying a concealed BUG. He complied with the manager's request, he put the offending gun in the car. Unless the manager is willing to search and force EVERY person carrying a concealed firearm in the store to remove theirs as well, I view the OP as complying with the request, end of story. So what if the manager stated store policy (which by the way, we know is not correct). It was not a request to put the BUG in the car, just the OC'd gun.

Once again, we are our own worst enemy, going out of our way to look for ways to accuse law-abiding citizens of breaking the law.

TFred

FreeInAZ

Alright, we know we don't agree on this, but here's what drives me nuts...

Simple reading of the OP's scenario: Walks in OC'ing, someone complains to manager, manager asks him to put his gun in the car, OP complies.

Even though this particular case may not line up, assume OP IS carrying a concealed BUG. He complied with the manager's request, he put the offending gun in the car. Unless the manager is willing to search and force EVERY person carrying a concealed firearm in the store to remove theirs as well, I view the OP as complying with the request, end of story. So what if the manager stated store policy (which by the way, we know is not correct). It was not a request to put the BUG in the car, just the OC'd gun.

Once again, we are our own worst enemy, going out of our way to look for ways to accuse law-abiding citizens of breaking the law.

TFred

+1 Trillion !!! Well said sir.