Thread: OC on a Motorcycle

OC on a Motorcycle

Ok i live in Northern WV and I travel to Ohio a lot. I need to know if you can OC on a motorcycle. I know you need a permit to carry in a vehicle, but since a cycle is open??????? I OC in WV on my bike without incident so just asking for some advice. thanks

OC on a Motorcycle

You can't OC in a motor vehicle unless you have a CC permit valid in Ohio. Once you get on a bike you are transporting a firearm and governed by transport laws. It must have the ammo and gun in separate compartments.
    Last edited by CornfedinOhio; 06-24-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Re: OC on a Motorcycle

Quote Originally Posted by CornfedinOhio View Post
    You can't OC unless you have a CC permit valid in Ohio. Once you get on a bike you are transporting a firearm and governed by transport laws. It must have the ammo and gun in separate compartments.
    Lets rephrase that so it doesn't confuse anyone.

You can OC WITHOUT ANY PERMIT.

You can CC WITH A VALID PERMIT.

Carrying in ANY motor vehicle is considered to be "concealed" by Ohio law. Therefore, you need a permit. (Follow transport laws otherwise).

Sorry, I didn't like the way you said that first sentence. It could be misunderstood.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

+1 to Hareuhal.

As stupid as it seems, once you are astride your bike, for legal purposes you are now "in" that vehicle.

Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle is addressed in R.C. 2923.16

Carrying Concealed Weapons is addressed in R.C. 2923.12.

If you want to keep your handgun loaded, you may be okay in putting it under your seat, if there is room for storage. See R.C. 2923.16(B). Use your best judgement.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    If you want to keep your handgun loaded, you may be okay in putting it under your seat, if there is room for storage. See R.C. 2923.16(B). Use your best judgement.
    But if you get by B, you are still violating C. Otherwise everyone could carry a loaded firearm in a trunk. However, we all know that's not lega.

Yet another item to have the lawmakers correct. A statute in conflict with itself.
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    Yet another item to have the lawmakers correct. A statute in conflict with itself.
    The fix is to allow everyone not under disability to carry in their car, same rules as carry in the home.

And legal, unlicensed concealed carry in ones home needs to be expanded to carrying upon ones own property.

Without a CHL, I can conceal in my home, but not when I go out to my garage (possibly even if the garage is attached to the house).

Recoil.

Banned

OC on a Motorcycle

Agreed. There should be full unlicensed carry on one's own property and on the property of another with permission of the owner/agent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Thanks all for the input. I have a wv permit which is recognized in Ohio so I'm good. What you all said is how i interpreted the law as well but was wanting some other opinions. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    The fix is to allow everyone not under disability to carry in their car, same rules as carry in the home.
    The real fix is "shall not be infringed."
    Moreover, were he to return there, wouldn't he be rather bad at their game, no longer being accustomed to the darkness? - Plato