Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: New to OC and 1st funny OC encounter

  1. #1
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648

    New to OC and 1st funny OC encounter

    Hello all,

    I've been following the conversations on this forum for a few months (since I started becoming knowledgeable in applicable AZ laws, and this forum popped up a bit in my searches), and I'm glad to know we have a lot of people interested in protecting their 2nd Amendment RIGHTS. I am 20, an Arizonan by birth, and only a recent pro-2A convert (about two-and-a-half years now). I wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know of a funny, good experience during my first OC day, and hope I can start a thread on funny OC encounters.
    I was carrying last Saturday and stopped by the Home Depot in Mesa at S Country Club and the 60 for some brick. My OC was a 1911 in a Galco leather holster between the 2 and 3 o'clock position. I was with my father and uncle, and half the palette of brick was already gone, so being the "most able" (their words), I had to climb up onto the palette to hand the bricks forward. With the holster riding high on my belt, I had to slide it over to the 3 o'clock position to avoid it poking me (I was crouching on the shelf). Well, around the 20th brick, and older white gentleman, about 65-70, comes walking along the shelf and jokingly asks if I was put up there for being naughty. I replied "something like that" (no other answer came to mind) and made a mental note of where he was. I detected his silence and turn my head towards him while placing my open right hand over the holster (it was a subconscious movement on my behalf). The older gentleman then proceeded to ask "Is that real?!" while reaching out towards my gun with his hand. I answered that yes, it was indeed real (maybe I was supposed to be carrying an Airsoft pistol?) and he decided to walk off a bit hurriedly.
    A few minutes later, I was waiting with the brick and cart when I met the same man accompanied by a slightly heavyset African-American employee (to cut some styrofoam board/insulation). The older gentleman freezes in place when he sees me and my pistol, so I try to break the ice by letting him know that it is a 1911 (I guess at this point I assumed he was a Kalifornia transplant and expected him to be confrontational). By the way he jumped back (in a very un-manly and wimpy fashion), you'd think I showed a diva a cesspool of insects or something. He adds "Ohhhh, that scares me" and the following conversation takes place:

    Older gentleman: Can he do that?
    Home Depot man: Yes

    Older gentleman: Well, is he a guard?
    Home Depot man: (Suppressing an amused smile) No

    Older gentleman: And that's legal?
    Home Depot man: (With an obvious amused smile) Yes

    Now, I didn't get to thank the employee for backing my right to carry (with monosyllabic responses, nonetheless) but I thought it was nice that there was a knowledgeable employee that could let the older gentleman know I wasn't breaking the law.

    How would you have reacted? What funny OC encounters have not yet been posted? Or who would like to re-tell a funny encounter? Hope to hear from everyone.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    "Yes"

    "No"

    "Yes"

    Awesome.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Regular Member clarkebar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    136
    That's great! Home Depot at Country Club and the 60? I've been there a couple times as well. Not a single employee has ever so much as looked at me in an unusual manner. I'll be sure to continue patronizing them.
    Last edited by clarkebar; 06-29-2013 at 05:18 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Phoenix David's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    629
    What holster were you using?
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648

    That would be the one

    Yes clarkebar, that would be the one.
    If we law-abiding gun owners could all unite to forego any anti-gun businesses while we continue to patronize establishments that allow us to practice our right to self-defense, I think Arizona could be a little easier to navigate (less crime-friendly areas), and could possibly allow AZ to earn the most negative score with the Brady's .
    I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere else on OCDO, but gunburger.com has a list of 2A-friendly and anti-gun establishments organized by city and general niche.
    I was carrying in a black Galco Concealment (http://www.amazon.com/Galco-Conceala.../dp/B001U46OWI). Its forward cant is comfortable, and it holds my 1911 close to my midsection, allowing me to "feel" for it even without using my arms (I use my emergency Calorie reserves for this ).
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 07-05-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Spelling

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tucson / Bangkok, ,
    Posts
    36

    More open carry

    I have always heard that Home Depot preferred no firearms but did tolerate them. As such, when I go there (often) I pull my shirt out over my 1911. With a 1911 there is obviously something large under my shirt but no mention from anyone. At Basha's out in Catalina near where I live, the young man behind the meat counter asked me if I was carrying a 1911? I replied yes and then he asked what kind. Told him an old colt. I asked if he carried and he said yes, when not working. Big thumbs up!

    I guess I get questioned about 3 X a month about carrying. 99.9% positive. Generally they have been thinking about doing so but just haven't taken the plunge. I heartily encourage them to do so.

    Costco did catch me walking up to the door carrying open a few months back. The guy at the door was very nice and just said "sorry, no 1911's at Costco today". Then a month later there was only one guy at the door, at my left, and I carry on my right. I completely forgot about the 1911 and walked in. I wandered around for 5 min or so when I realized what I'd done. Pulled my shirt over it and nothing happened.

    The difference between the Supreme Court and the Ku Klux Klan is that the members of the Supreme Court dress in black robes and scare white people.

    --Sam Sewell

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Uncle Ho View Post
    I have always heard that Home Depot preferred no firearms but did tolerate them....
    Heard from whom?

    Many of us open carry in Home Depot on a regular basis.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  8. #8
    Activist Member JamesCanby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Posts
    1,543
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Heard from whom?

    Many of us open carry in Home Depot on a regular basis.
    I *always* OC at Home Depot, never a problem. Besides, they honor my Veteran's ID Card, 10% discount, every day of the year.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648

    RE: Home Depot and Costo

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Uncle Ho View Post
    I have always heard that Home Depot preferred no firearms but did tolerate them.
    As far as I know, Home Depot's firearms policy (since at least 2011) is to comply with local laws and regulations (a la Starbucks). See the link to USA Carry (http://www.usacarry.com/forums/conce...ry-policy.html)
    I am not too sure about Lowe's though; Home Depot is closer than Lowe's, but I don't recall seeing any signs there either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Uncle Ho View Post
    Costco did catch me walking up to the door carrying open a few months back. The guy at the door was very nice and just said "sorry, no 1911's at Costco today".
    Costco is anti-gun. Period. (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...firearm-policy)

    If a store isn't posted but the manager is anti-gun, let them ask you to leave or conceal, that way they can see how many customers they are losing because of their anti-rights policy. Maybe even leave them a "No Guns = No $" (I vaguely remember someone posting a downloadable file on OCDO some time back, but I can't seem to find it) If management has a problem with my right to self defense, I have no problem patronizing another establishment that doesn't.

    *EDIT* I can't find the card download I was referring to, but AZCDLFred did mention one place to get them.
    Quote Originally Posted by azcdlfred View Post
    AzCDL gives "No Guns No Money" cards out for FREE at gun shows.

    You can also download the template for yourself and print them on any business card stock. Go to our Educational page and scroll to the bottom under the heading "Activism Tools."

    Fred
    Just wish they had a picture of a 1911 on them because that is what I'll be carrying if and when I hand them out.
    Last edited by Rusty Young Man; 07-21-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Spelling, new info on cards

  10. #10
    Regular Member Jamesm760's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Salisbury, NC
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Hello all,

    I've been following the conversations on this forum for a few months (since I started becoming knowledgeable in applicable AZ laws, and this forum popped up a bit in my searches), and I'm glad to know we have a lot of people interested in protecting their 2nd Amendment RIGHTS. I am 20, an Arizonan by birth, and only a recent pro-2A convert (about two-and-a-half years now). I wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know of a funny, good experience during my first OC day, and hope I can start a thread on funny OC encounters.
    I was carrying last Saturday and stopped by the Home Depot in Mesa at S Country Club and the 60 for some brick. My OC was a 1911 in a Galco leather holster between the 2 and 3 o'clock position. I was with my father and uncle, and half the palette of brick was already gone, so being the "most able" (their words), I had to climb up onto the palette to hand the bricks forward. With the holster riding high on my belt, I had to slide it over to the 3 o'clock position to avoid it poking me (I was crouching on the shelf). Well, around the 20th brick, and older white gentleman, about 65-70, comes walking along the shelf and jokingly asks if I was put up there for being naughty. I replied "something like that" (no other answer came to mind) and made a mental note of where he was. I detected his silence and turn my head towards him while placing my open right hand over the holster (it was a subconscious movement on my behalf). The older gentleman then proceeded to ask "Is that real?!" while reaching out towards my gun with his hand. I answered that yes, it was indeed real (maybe I was supposed to be carrying an Airsoft pistol?) and he decided to walk off a bit hurriedly.
    A few minutes later, I was waiting with the brick and cart when I met the same man accompanied by a slightly heavyset African-American employee (to cut some styrofoam board/insulation). The older gentleman freezes in place when he sees me and my pistol, so I try to break the ice by letting him know that it is a 1911 (I guess at this point I assumed he was a Kalifornia transplant and expected him to be confrontational). By the way he jumped back (in a very un-manly and wimpy fashion), you'd think I showed a diva a cesspool of insects or something. He adds "Ohhhh, that scares me" and the following conversation takes place:

    Older gentleman: Can he do that?
    Home Depot man: Yes

    Older gentleman: Well, is he a guard?
    Home Depot man: (Suppressing an amused smile) No

    Older gentleman: And that's legal?
    Home Depot man: (With an obvious amused smile) Yes

    Now, I didn't get to thank the employee for backing my right to carry (with monosyllabic responses, nonetheless) but I thought it was nice that there was a knowledgeable employee that could let the older gentleman know I wasn't breaking the law.

    How would you have reacted? What funny OC encounters have not yet been posted? Or who would like to re-tell a funny encounter? Hope to hear from everyone.
    Cool story bro . Welcome to OCDO!
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

    μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labé - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,098
    I think the matter-of-factness from the employee spoke volumes. Translated: "Yes, it's legal, common, nothing to worry about and, bottom line, no big deal." All in three words. Fantastic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    Hello all,

    I've been following the conversations on this forum for a few months (since I started becoming knowledgeable in applicable AZ laws, and this forum popped up a bit in my searches), and I'm glad to know we have a lot of people interested in protecting their 2nd Amendment RIGHTS. I am 20, an Arizonan by birth, and only a recent pro-2A convert (about two-and-a-half years now). I wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know of a funny, good experience during my first OC day, and hope I can start a thread on funny OC encounters.
    I was carrying last Saturday and stopped by the Home Depot in Mesa at S Country Club and the 60 for some brick. My OC was a 1911 in a Galco leather holster between the 2 and 3 o'clock position. I was with my father and uncle, and half the palette of brick was already gone, so being the "most able" (their words), I had to climb up onto the palette to hand the bricks forward. With the holster riding high on my belt, I had to slide it over to the 3 o'clock position to avoid it poking me (I was crouching on the shelf). Well, around the 20th brick, and older white gentleman, about 65-70, comes walking along the shelf and jokingly asks if I was put up there for being naughty. I replied "something like that" (no other answer came to mind) and made a mental note of where he was. I detected his silence and turn my head towards him while placing my open right hand over the holster (it was a subconscious movement on my behalf). The older gentleman then proceeded to ask "Is that real?!" while reaching out towards my gun with his hand. I answered that yes, it was indeed real (maybe I was supposed to be carrying an Airsoft pistol?) and he decided to walk off a bit hurriedly.
    A few minutes later, I was waiting with the brick and cart when I met the same man accompanied by a slightly heavyset African-American employee (to cut some styrofoam board/insulation). The older gentleman freezes in place when he sees me and my pistol, so I try to break the ice by letting him know that it is a 1911 (I guess at this point I assumed he was a Kalifornia transplant and expected him to be confrontational). By the way he jumped back (in a very un-manly and wimpy fashion), you'd think I showed a diva a cesspool of insects or something. He adds "Ohhhh, that scares me" and the following conversation takes place:

    Older gentleman: Can he do that?
    Home Depot man: Yes

    Older gentleman: Well, is he a guard?
    Home Depot man: (Suppressing an amused smile) No

    Older gentleman: And that's legal?
    Home Depot man: (With an obvious amused smile) Yes

    Now, I didn't get to thank the employee for backing my right to carry (with monosyllabic responses, nonetheless) but I thought it was nice that there was a knowledgeable employee that could let the older gentleman know I wasn't breaking the law.

    How would you have reacted? What funny OC encounters have not yet been posted? Or who would like to re-tell a funny encounter? Hope to hear from everyone.

  12. #12
    Regular Member arizonaopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Whetstone AZ
    Posts
    14

    No problems in Sierra Vista

    Down here in SE AZ I have not run into any problems. I OC at Lowes, Home Depot, Safeway, Wally World, Kmart, etc. I avoid businesses like Target since they are known to be anti-gun. No Gun No Money.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    8

    Re: New to OC and 1st funny OC encounter

    Quote Originally Posted by arizonaopa View Post
    Down here in SE AZ I have not run into any problems. I OC at Lowes, Home Depot, Safeway, Wally World, Kmart, etc. I avoid businesses like Target since they are known to be anti-gun. No Gun No Money.
    I just carried today in Target and had no issues at all. I am in Virginia though. I even got to see the "Asset Protection" guy with his duty belt full of cool things like handcuffs and the like. No gun for him though.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

  14. #14
    Regular Member Rusty Young Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Árida Zona
    Posts
    1,648
    Quote Originally Posted by arab1302 View Post
    I just carried today in Target and had no issues at all. I am in Virginia though. I even got to see the "Asset Protection" guy with his duty belt full of cool things like handcuffs and the like. No gun for him though.
    Isn't it funny how they try to wear every piece of "tacticool" gear they can? And we're the ones that are "compensating for something".
    I see them at almost every store I've OCed at: Walmart, Sam's Club, Fry's. The list goes on.
    Glad to hear you and arizonaopa have been haven't had trouble.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •