• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

tulsa parks deny carry. civil disobedience?

pierceddwes

http://www.roemermanonrecord.com/2013/02/tulsa-ordinances-on-firearms-may.html

The Tulsa city law is in clear violation of State Law that is superior. Their will be a person that will continue to carry in parks whether it is Federal/State/Local and they will be fighting in court to uphold their liberties, when that happens I and hopefully others will rally around their cause. Parks are public land set aside for EVERYONES enjoyment. Carry holders are scrutinized by the law to protect themselves and others, we should be able to enjoy areas as everyone else does while protecting ourselves and OTHERS!! Federal and State legislatures have recognized this and respect it but the Tulsa city council and Tulsa Mayor need to review the bill of rights.

Sidney

Tulsa City Attorney Agrees to Take Down “No Gun” Signs

In phone conversations yesterday with Don Spencer, our Director of Policy, and Grant Chapman, our Deputy Director of Policy, Tulsa City Attorney Dave O’Meilia, agreed that the “no gun” signs in the Tulsa city parks are in violation of state law. Title 21, Section 1277 states: “The prohibited place does not include and specifically excludes the following property…Any property designated by a city, town, county, or state, governmental authority as a park, recreational area, or fairgrounds…” Currently, Mr. O’Meilia is working to cover the signs with the intent to eventually have them removed.

We encourage gun owners to contact their city councilmen and the mayor on this issue and urge them to bring their ordinances into compliance with state law so that this issue doesn’t resurface at some point in the future.

https://ok2anews.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/tulsa-city-attorney-agrees-to-take-down-no-gun-signs/

Elm Creek Smith

We encourage gun owners to contact their city councilmen and the mayor on this issue and urge them to bring their ordinances into compliance with state law so that this issue doesn’t resurface at some point in the future.

I work in Tulsa, but I live out in the county. I figure I'll print off a copy of the SDA and keep it on me if I go to a city park since the outdated ordinance hasn't been repealed and I'm not going unarmed.:uhoh:

ECS

pierceddwes

Great news! I love to frequent Tulsa parks for exercise with my dog. I was worried that the Tulsa Mayor election might sweep this thing under the rug due to the race.

Jayne&Vera

spotted today

I work in Tulsa, but I live out in the county. I figure I'll print off a copy of the SDA and keep it on me if I go to a city park since the outdated ordinance hasn't been repealed and I'm not going unarmed.:uhoh:
ECS

Over at Veteran's park for the MS walk this morning, wife says she saw a sign there I didn't spot. Under jacket for today...
Furthermore, in past at Braden in E midtown area. Couldn't go back to check Vet/River park area today but I'll check others in this area.
Can we get reports from other areas around town?

okiephlyer

I have biked and walked miles and miles on River Parks trails, OC, and never had a problem. Also OC'd at LaFortune one day during spring break with lots of people, large and small, and nobody said a word. Parks are OK by state statute, and the signs have not all been updated, so carry away.

Jayne&Vera

waste of time and money. Of course you disobey a non-law. To obey it is to accept the person had the right to make the law and clearly these 'ordinances' are both a violation of state and federal law.

I don't think obedience to non-laws is our issue on this thread. We'd like local authorities to become educated, and remove the public scarring signs.

hrdware

12th and janeway. Walk to the picnic area by the water park

http://www.cityofmoore.com/city-moore-park-rules section 7

I drive by that park just about every day and stopped and saw that sign yesterday. Will be contacting parks and recreation as well as my city councilman about this issue.

Section 7 of the park rules give them an out...."unless authorized by city council" and then references 2 parts of city code. The important one it references in 10-407. 10-407 section A reads: "A person is permitted to carry firearms open and unconcealed only as may be authorized by state law." Although confusing, the printed rules do provide that people can carry firearms as allowed by state law, and the city council has approved that, therefore you can carry under the printed rules, but the sign at the park is a different matter.

Glock 1st fan

I drive by that park just about every day and stopped and saw that sign yesterday. Will be contacting parks and recreation as well as my city councilman about this issue.

Section 7 of the park rules give them an out...."unless authorized by city council" and then references 2 parts of city code. The important one it references in 10-407. 10-407 section A reads: "A person is permitted to carry firearms open and unconcealed only as may be authorized by state law." Although confusing, the printed rules do provide that people can carry firearms as allowed by state law, and the city council has approved that, therefore you can carry under the printed rules, but the sign at the park is a different matter.

Agreed. I myself am not familiar with city ordinances in Moore which underlines the bigger picture. Those who know the sda and the city ordinances obviously know they are legaly able to carry in the park but to people who aren't up to date with the law could be led to believe they are illegal.

Thus and people who do not support the 2A may be inclined to call 911 which would tie up valuable resources and put both the police and the carrier in an awkward position that could result in embarrasement and or legal issues.

Signage is very important to be correct because no city needs to be sued over someone getting detained or humiliated for doing nothing more then obeying the law

Last edited:

hrdware

Agreed. I myself am not familiar with city ordinances in Moore which underlines the bigger picture. Those who know the sda and the city ordinances obviously know they are legaly able to carry in the park but to people who aren't up to date with the law could be led to believe they are illegal.

Thus and people who do not support the 2A may be inclined to call 911 which would tie up valuable resources and put both the police and the carrier in an awkward position that could result in embarrasement and or legal issues.

Signage is very important to be correct because no city needs to be sued over someone getting detained or humiliated for doing nothing more then obeying the law

Agreed.

I sent email to the city manager and director of parks and recreation. Provided links to state preemption, and to where it says parks are specifically exempt from being prohibited places. Asked that this be removed and not included on future signs. Pointed out this could cause confusion and a lawsuit if enforced, and that the resulting lawsuit could be against any person, municipality, and political subdivision who violated the state preemption.

No response yet, not even a "we'll look into it". We will see what comes of it.

Jayne&Vera

Agreed.

I sent email to the city manager and director of parks and recreation..."

I guess I should do that for Tulsa. We were at Braden and the sign still had it but today at Woodward that section was obviously removed from the same sign.

gconder

Update?

Agreed.

I sent email to the city manager and director of parks and recreation. Provided links to state preemption, and to where it says parks are specifically exempt from being prohibited places. Asked that this be removed and not included on future signs. Pointed out this could cause confusion and a lawsuit if enforced, and that the resulting lawsuit could be against any person, municipality, and political subdivision who violated the state preemption.

No response yet, not even a "we'll look into it". We will see what comes of it.

Just curious, have you gotten any kind of response yet?

hrdware

Just curious, have you gotten any kind of response yet?

Not yet. Planning on calling them next week and verify they received the emails and see what they have to say about it. Next city council meeting isn't until May 5, so may not hear anything until after that anyway.