• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

tulsa parks deny carry. civil disobedience?

Jayne&Vera

Tulsa To Allow Guns In Parks

Tulsa To Allow Guns In Parks
Posted: Apr 25, 2014
www.ktul.com/story/25346638/tulsa-to-allow-guns-in-parks

"City of Tulsa we do not desire to have stricter gun restrictions than what state law allows," said Jarred Brejcha, of Mayor Bartlett's administration.
State law says it's ok to have guns in parks, so the city will soon be erasing it's current ordinance that keeps them out.

The Mayor's office apparently is missing the fact they cannot legally restricted our rights... but I'll take it as a win anyway!

Elm Creek Smith

Tulsa City Council amended City Ordinances last night - 05/01/2014

The Tulsa City Council made the following changes to City Ordinances at last night's City Council Meeting:

"7. ORDINANCES - SECOND READING
a. Ordinance amending Title 8, TRO Section 202, Civil Emergency – Powers of Mayor, repealing subsections G & H dealing with the Mayor’s authority to take actions banning the selling or transferring firearms and ammunition and closing businesses which sell or transfer firearms. (Emergency Clause) [PW 4/24/14] 14-364-1"

b. Ordinance amending Title 27, Chapter 15, TRO, entitled “Weapons,” amending the citation of the Oklahoma statute cited in sub-sections (1) and (3) of Section 1514, and in Section 1515. (Emergency Clause) [UED 4/24/14] 97-1007-3"

c. Ordinance amending Title 26, Tulsa Revised Ordinances, Titled “Parks, Mall and Plaza,” amending Chapter 1, Section 103, Sub-Section Q and Chapter 3, Setion 303, Sub-Section Q; by removing the city’s ordinance regulating or carrying firearms in parks, recreation areas and other facilities. (Emergency Clause) [UED 4/24/14] 13-188-2"

What this means is that the Mayor no longer has the power to ban the sales or transfers of firearms or to close businesses which sells or transfers firearms during civil emergencies (riots, etc.) Bet you didn't even know that was there, didja?

It also corrects the Oklahoma State Statutes reference in the City Ordinances to reflect current state law.

Finally, it removes the wording from City Ordinances relating to restricting the carrying handguns, either concealed or openly, in city parks, recreation areas, and other facilities in order to bring those ordinances into line with current state law. Also, the "Emergency Clause" means that they are effective immediately.

This is good news, guys and girls! So, when you see signs in the parks that haven't been corrected, ignore them.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Place local LE on notice that enforcement of a unlawful city code will be grounds for criminal prosecution and civil liability. Reference the state law that supports your contention. Copies to your local elected officials so that they too know that LE is informed.

Elm Creek Smith

Place local LE on notice that enforcement of a unlawful city code will be grounds for criminal prosecution and civil liability. Reference the state law that supports your contention. Copies to your local elected officials so that they too know that LE is informed.

The TPD and TCSO have been very good about keeping up with the laws as they change. When open carry was added to the mix, local LEOs and 911 dispatchers received training on the new law and how it related to MWAG calls. I wouldn't worry about the TPD hassling people who are legally carrying in the parks.

aadvark

It is Nice to See when a Municipality Follows The Preemption Statute without having to be made to do so by a Court.

hrdware

Im just curious the outcome with :confused:moore

None yet. I called the City Manager's office last Friday since I hadn't heard anything and the lady that answered the phone hadn't heard anything about it. The City Manager was out of the office, but she checked with the Assistant City Manager (who is over the Parks and Recreation Department) as well as the Parks and Recreation Department Supervisor guy and he hadn't heard about it either. Giving them the benefit of the doubt that the cities website didn't deliver the email correctly. She told me I should probably get a call back today, but I haven't heard anything. If I don't hear from them tomorrow, I will call on Wednesday.

hrdware

Update

So apparently the city had a problem with their email server so my email did not get delivered until late Saturday. The Parks Director responded but he typo'd my email address so I never got it. Spoke with him yesterday and he forwarded my email to the City Attorney for review. Asked him to keep me in the loop as to what the CA says. Will follow up in about 2 weeks if I don't hear from him by then.

hrdware

Funny. When I respond to an email, I just hit the reply button. It kinda fills out the address on it's own.

Initial email was filled out via a form on the city web page. Giving them the benefit of the doubt that whoever did their web page didn't have it put the person's email into the "Reply To" spot.

Elm Creek Smith

Just spent the afternoon open carrying in Tulsa's River Parks. No one said "Boo!" No police, no SWAT, no National Guard, no problem.

Sent from my little slice of Heaven.

hrdware

Email sent, asked if they had heard anything yet.

The response said, "Not yet. I will follow up with him. Thanks for reminding me".

Sooooo....still waiting.

hrdware

Resolution to Parmalee Park sign in Moore

Just received an email from the Parks and Recreation Director, the City Attorney advised that the sign needed to be changed. Parks and Recreation will be ordering new signs which should be in place in roughly 3 - 4 weeks.

Glock 1st fan

The sign at that park does. While the parks dept tried to sneak it in under the radar using the "except licensed carriers" which is in the ordinance they simply said "no person shall possess a firearm"

This was misleading as it did not contain the exemption and left many believing it was illegal and left the city open to civil suit should an officer violate the law.