• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Soon to be open carrier

pkbites

Even though they lost the case against me,
IMO yes, Milwaukee PD officers have been told that any gun in a car is automatically concealed & will arrest anyone found OC in a car w/o a carry license.

They & the DA's office are deliberately ignoring the transport statute upgrade which was part of Act 35,
as well as the WI Constitutional amendment in 1998 protecting RKBA,
as well as Act 51(?) which again amended the transport statute and allowed for long guns to be unloaded & unencased in a vehicle.

I can't speak for MPD but this isn't true for the agency I work for. Nor is it true by what an ADA told us at a training session in July 2012. Nor is it true according to what Assistant Attorney General Dave perlman stated at the Act 35 conference I attended.

We are not looking to arrest someone by stretching what is/isn't concealed in a vehicle. And we had considerable intercourse on what was concealed and what isn't. What it comes down to is we're to consider a gun legal/legally carried unless it is overwhelmingly obvious that it is not legal/legally carried. And open carry in a vehicle w/o permit is legal. We were told anything above the door handle where someone immediately outside the vehicle could see it was to be considered open.

All this nonsense is why we all need to mind our p's&q's and not do anything stupid. After a few years of the ccw law when folks realize there aren't wild west gun fights and blood flowing in the streets we can switch to constitutional carry like we should have gotten in the first place and all this worry about what is concealed and where will be a non-issue.

Law abider

I can't speak for MPD but this isn't true for the agency I work for. Nor is it true by what an ADA told us at a training session in July 2012. Nor is it true according to what Assistant Attorney General Dave perlman stated at the Act 35 conference I attended.

We are not looking to arrest someone by stretching what is/isn't concealed in a vehicle. And we had considerable intercourse on what was concealed and what isn't. What it comes down to is we're to consider a gun legal/legally carried unless it is overwhelmingly obvious that it is not legal/legally carried. And open carry in a vehicle w/o permit is legal. We were told anything above the door handle where someone immediately outside the vehicle could see it was to be considered open.

All this nonsense is why we all need to mind our p's&q's and not do anything stupid. After a few years of the ccw law when folks realize there aren't wild west gun fights and blood flowing in the streets we can switch to constitutional carry like we should have gotten in the first place and all this worry about what is concealed and where will be a non-issue.

How do you explain what happened to MKE? Rogue cops?

Miltown OC

The only thing I could think of the cops being dicks to her about was loitering.. If I was a cop and saw a random car in a parking lot I'd be a little suspicious also. But they just nailed her with charges because they are dicks.

MKEgal

Miltown OC said:
If I was a cop and saw a random car in a parking lot I'd be a little suspicious also.
I agree it was something they should check out.
But after seeing that my computer was open & running on my lap, and there's a sign in the window 8-10' away in 4" letters saying "free wi-fi", & I said "I'm using my computer on their free wi-fi", that should have been the end of it.

But they just nailed her with charges because they are dicks.
My lawyer's partner had some more colorful things to say. :rolleyes:

Honestly, if I'd thought they hadn't seen it the first time they were at the car & it would be a problem the second time, I would have put it in the safe while they were running my plate.

Last edited:

MKEgal

You'll want to re-read the forum rules, esp. #6 & #9.
Snake161 said:
experience denotes otherwise. Not just mine. But everybody that has dealt with cops.
... please don't lecture me that there are good cops out there. There isn't. They all operate outside of the law.
... No cop is a good cop.
You don't speak for me.
And heaven knows I have every right to be just as bitter & hateful as you.
But I know there's at least one truly good officer out there (in Milwaukee PD no less!), and several others I've met I think are probably more or less ethical.
There have to be others.

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
Well my friend, you can say as you please. Benefits of living in this country. However, experience denotes otherwise. Not just mine. But everybody that has dealt with cops. From a minor traffic violation such as seat belts, to showing up and seeing somebody open carrying on their OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY. So please don't lecture me that there are good cops out there. There isn't. They all operate outside of the law.

I tend to consider myself to be a clean, upper middle class, well educated individual. But through my life experiences,and from the words of others, and learning and knowing about our countries constitution, police as well as the federal gov. take more power then they are allowed. No cop is a good cop.

Not everybody. Sorry, but you'll have to narrow that down a bit; to you, maybe.

Snake161

Like I said, everybody has their opinion and you are wholly entitled to it. Just as I am. I'm sorry, MKE, that you have gone through two court cases because of the ignorance of cops, but still feel as though they have some shred of sympathy...as I understand you have a cop "friend". Each to his or her own, I suppose. And as far as you, plankton, just remember what I have said; and in the back of your head someday, slowly, it will bubble to the surface and you will utter these few words: "He told me so". But anyway, I have no need nor want for any of you to agree with me or disagree with me. I felt compelled to pen a reply for the simple fact that somebody on here has a bleeding heart for cops......

Snake~

pkbites

Like I said, everybody has their opinion and you are wholly entitled to it. Just as I am.

This isn't about your opinion. You can rattle on all you want and I couldn't care less. This is about a statement you made that is false.

It is in a cops job description to basically treat everybody they meet with disrespect,

Please show me the job description for any law enforcement agency in the USA that lists treating everybody with disrespect.

Sorry if this sounds like a nit-pick, but you posted it as though it were a statement of fact.

Plankton

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan
Like I said, everybody has their opinion and you are wholly entitled to it. Just as I am. I'm sorry, MKE, that you have gone through two court cases because of the ignorance of cops, but still feel as though they have some shred of sympathy...as I understand you have a cop "friend". Each to his or her own, I suppose. And as far as you, plankton, just remember what I have said; and in the back of your head someday, slowly, it will bubble to the surface and you will utter these few words: "He told me so". But anyway, I have no need nor want for any of you to agree with me or disagree with me. I felt compelled to pen a reply for the simple fact that somebody on here has a bleeding heart for cops......

Snake~

I have ALREADY had interactions with LEO in the past. You don't get to speak for me; past, present OR future. And I also have friends that are either current or retired LEO's, in THREE different cities. YOUR mileage may vary, with YOUR experiences. If I ever have another bad interaction with LEO, it won't be because "you told me so", it will be because a public servant exceeded his or her legal authority. Get over yourself.