Thread: Anyone recently apply for a CHP in VA BH?

Anyone recently apply for a CHP in VA BH?

I applied for one on may 17, and still nothing. Nothing in the mail today, so that gives them 6 days remaining. Anyone else have to wait the full 45 days?
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

It was pretty close to the full 6 weeks for me to get mine back in February.

Quote Originally Posted by wrearick View Post
    It was pretty close to the full 6 weeks for me to get mine back in February.
    Good to know. I figured it might take a while because being former military, I have several previous addresses.

So still no permit. The last day for them to send it to me falls on a Sunday, so I suppose they have 3 days remaining. What should I do if I do not have it in the mail on Saturday?

Go ask them

I was at day 41 and would be on business travel on day 45. So I went to the court house and asked. It was mailed the previous day.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I think I read he was behind:

From the Daniel Webster Dictionary

The Devil sold permits in Virginia
    He was looking for some souls to steal
    He was in a bind because he was way behind
    and he was willing to make a deal

I went to the clerks office today and they are still processing it. I am going to go on day 46 (Monday) and if they have not mailed it, demand my temporary permit.

Va bch timeline

My permit took 44 days to issue. I went to the clerk on the 45th day only to find out that it had been mailed the day before. I assumed that they were backlogged as I applied late last year and the permits used to only take 2-3 weeks in VAbch from what I have read from others on here. There are many other jurisdictions which appear to issue permits on the last day as a matter of policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose72 View Post
    My permit took 44 days to issue. I went to the clerk on the 45th day only to find out that it had been mailed the day before. I assumed that they were backlogged as I applied late last year and the permits used to only take 2-3 weeks in VAbch from what I have read from others on here. There are many other jurisdictions which appear to issue permits on the last day as a matter of policy.
    I don't believe it. I have heard that new permit applications are down, not up. I suspect that people who were going to get one in this current climate have already done so.

I could be wrong, and it could be different in different areas... taking every bit of time is not due to a backlog, it's due to a policy that intends them to take every bit of time.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I don't believe it. I have heard that new permit applications are down, not up. I suspect that people who were going to get one in this current climate have already done so.

I could be wrong, and it could be different in different areas... taking every bit of time is not due to a backlog, it's due to a policy that intends them to take every bit of time.

TFred
    I did talk to one of the nice ladies in the clerk's office who said that they have had a big increase in the amount of permit applications. And I witnessed that when I went to the police building to drop mine off; there were about 5 people in line doing just what I was.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    ^^ This!!

About a year ago a friend filed for a permit in FFX CTY. It was getting sort of close to the deadline and he called to inquire about it. They told him something to the effect of 'its ready, and will be mailed out on Tuesday'... he called on a Thursday. He didn't think to ask them 'WHY CAN'T YOU MAIL IT TODAY?'...

thats odd

Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    Good to know. I figured it might take a while because being former military, I have several previous addresses.
    I'm former military (retired) as well and it didnt take mine but 10 days to process.

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar

Isle of Wight Re-Issue

I applied IIRC on May 23 here in IOW Co for my renewal, and by now, my old one has expired, and I'm still waiting on mine. Lady told me when I went to reapply that it should not take the full time, but here I am, still waiting . . . . . plus, they did require me to provide my drivers license, and photocopied it.

Why can I get my drivers license renewed the same day I ask for it, but not a simple gun permit? Does that seem like a fair comparison to y'all? How is that done so efficiently, and yet the county clerks are so IN-efficient with their tax-payed time?? I think the two processes cannot be THAT different, that it should take 45-60 times as long to process??? It's pretty bad when the freakin' DMV is the model of efficiency!
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia Joe View Post
    I applied IIRC on May 23 here in IOW Co for my renewal, and by now, my old one has expired, and I'm still waiting on mine. Lady told me when I went to reapply that it should not take the full time, but here I am, still waiting . . . . . plus, they did require me to provide my drivers license, and photocopied it.

Why can I get my drivers license renewed the same day I ask for it, but not a simple gun permit? Does that seem like a fair comparison to y'all? How is that done so efficiently, and yet the county clerks are so IN-efficient with their tax-payed time?? I think the two processes cannot be THAT different, that it should take 45-60 times as long to process??? It's pretty bad when the freakin' DMV is the model of efficiency!
    Did you go along with them copying your drivers license?

You only have a few days left before you can get your temporary license.

At least there were no extra requirements of mine. I have a couple of hours until the mail comes, and then I'm going to the court house. Can I request a temporary permit even if they claim it has been approved and is "in the mail"?
    Last edited by Esanders2008; 07-01-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: grammar

At least there was no extra requirements of mine. I have a couple of hours until the mail comes, and then I'm going to the court house. Can I request a temporary permit even of they claim it has been approved and is "in the mail"?
    I don't see why not. You don't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I don't see why not. You don't have it.
    That's good. I'm going to do that then!

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...od+18.2-308.05

This is the link to the new code section on de facto permits. Apparently the courts now have 5 business AFTER the expiration of the 45-day period to mail out a de facto permit. Does anyone know if this provision was in the old code?

This is the link to the new code section on de facto permits. Apparently the courts now have 5 business AFTER the expiration of the 45-day period to mail out a de facto permit. Does anyone know if this provision was in the old code?
    Yes it was in the old code.

Quote Originally Posted by 18.2-308(D)
    Cite

... If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and mail or send via electronic mail a copy of the certified application to the applicant within five business days of the expiration of the 45-day period. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified...

Deleted... need to think more about this...

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 07-01-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    1. Did you go along with them copying your drivers license?

2. You only have a few days left before you can get your temporary license.

1. I allowed it, out of ignorance. I had not read all the ocdo stories on the topic, and warnings as to all the extra legal requirements, until after I went to the clerk's office. I think I had not finished reading the whole thread, IIRC. My bad, I was compliant.

2. My permit arrived today, so I guess they are within that part of the law, but I still don't see why it is that much longer than for renewing a driver's license . . . . . .
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

They have 5 days to mail it to you, but should give it to you immediately if you show up in person.

Old code stated:

"If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and mail or send via electronic mail a copy of the certified application to the applicant within five business days of the expiration of the 45-day period."

The new sections now have an active link at the bottom to the bill that rewrote the code. So you can click on that link, and read exactly what was changed, including the old code. It's mostly in strikethrough text, but it's there.

And by the way, it doesn't say anything about giving it to you in person... so they don't have to do that.

TFred

I don't think the wait had anything to do with you being prior military. I'm also prior military and it only took mine two business weeks to be mailed and in hand, but that was back in October before all the antis caused mass panic. Glad you have it hand now!

Received permit in the mail today. Dated June 28.