• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone recently apply for a CHP in VA BH?

Old Virginia Joe

1. Did you go along with them copying your drivers license?

2. You only have a few days left before you can get your temporary license.

1. I allowed it, out of ignorance. I had not read all the ocdo stories on the topic, and warnings as to all the extra legal requirements, until after I went to the clerk's office. I think I had not finished reading the whole thread, IIRC. My bad, I was compliant.

2. My permit arrived today, so I guess they are within that part of the law, but I still don't see why it is that much longer than for renewing a driver's license . . . . . .

mobeewan

TFred

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.05

This is the link to the new code section on de facto permits. Apparently the courts now have 5 business AFTER the expiration of the 45-day period to mail out a de facto permit. Does anyone know if this provision was in the old code?
Old code stated:

"If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and mail or send via electronic mail a copy of the certified application to the applicant within five business days of the expiration of the 45-day period."

The new sections now have an active link at the bottom to the bill that rewrote the code. So you can click on that link, and read exactly what was changed, including the old code. It's mostly in strikethrough text, but it's there.

And by the way, it doesn't say anything about giving it to you in person... so they don't have to do that.

TFred

Justine

I don't think the wait had anything to do with you being prior military. I'm also prior military and it only took mine two business weeks to be mailed and in hand, but that was back in October before all the antis caused mass panic. Glad you have it hand now!