• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

There is no loophole, there is no loophole, there is no loophole...back to the beginn

The Wolfhound

A friend startled me recently....

By telling me her husband just bought a (surplus) handgun, from his brother, in North Carolina, while visiting. I was having a "he can't do that" moment. Now, I have no thought that he might be a prohibited person but doesn't NC require the permission of the county sheriff for handguns? He crossed state lines, visited for a few days, made the purchase, then went home, back across state lines. Now, there was no intent to avoid the law. I truly believe he was ignorant of it. It was a private sale between family members. He will never get caught nor do I believe he did anything wrong but I DO believe he probably did something illegal. Am I way off on my read on this? Oh, and go easy on those "weekend warriors", I teach on weekends! However, thanks to this forum, I stay up on the Virginia carry rules.:p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
By telling me her husband just bought a (surplus) handgun, from his brother, in North Carolina, while visiting. I was having a "he can't do that" moment. Now, I have no thought that he might be a prohibited person but doesn't NC require the permission of the county sheriff for handguns? He crossed state lines, visited for a few days, made the purchase, then went home, back across state lines. Now, there was no intent to avoid the law. I truly believe he was ignorant of it. It was a private sale between family members. He will never get caught nor do I believe he did anything wrong but I DO believe he probably did something illegal. Am I way off on my read on this? Oh, and go easy on those "weekend warriors", I teach on weekends! However, thanks to this forum, I stay up on the Virginia carry rules.:p
There are some proposed changes to the North Carolina handgun purchase requirements that will make the process simpler.
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/politics&id=9134985

WalkingWolf

If he is from out of state, and has a C&R he can buy a handgun on the C&R list, I think. The license is a FFL and as long as it is limited to those arms he is within the law, I believe. But if he is a NC resident he still is supposed to have PPP when he purchases a C&R firearm. I believe a FFL can buy a firearm from anybody, but they can only sell to residents of their state. Plus a C&R license is not a dealer license.

Honestly there is really no way to catch someone even if it is not kosher. Unless someone reports him. His wife and him should keep their big mouths shut.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Honestly there is really no way to catch someone even if it is not kosher. Unless someone reports him. His wife and him should keep their big mouths shut.

Well....since we don't talk about illegal activities here (Except not wearing seatbelts:uhoh:)....I can't comment, but I am going to speak to Zeus who just said "Yep!":rolleyes:

I was discussing this with our favorite lawyer and he surprised me. A person can be considered a resident after a few days...as far as buying a gun. He just has to live there, nothing else and he can move the next day with no problems.
Getting the signoff in NC is another thing but for compliance with Federal law, there is no residency time period.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Had a friend show me a phone recording of a instructor here in NC saying that there was a duty to retreat. I just shook my head, surely there is some sort of test before they let these guys teach. Same instructor claimed that banks are federal property, and that it was illegal to carry where alcohol is sold.

(*slaps forehead*)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Had a friend show me a phone recording of a instructor here in NC saying that there was a duty to retreat. I just shook my head, surely there is some sort of test before they let these guys teach. Same instructor claimed that banks are federal property, and that it was illegal to carry where alcohol is sold.

(*slaps forehead*)
Sometimes the difference between a professional and an amateur is that a profesional gets paid to be wrong :banghead:

ron73440

Lunch meeting today and the Waitress told me the fellow at the counter had a question. I was wearing my Glock so I wondered why he thought someone so poorly armed could answer his questions.

Yep...what can I do for you?

What's the waiting time to get a gun?

There is no waiting period in Va.

That's only at Gunshows though, right?

There isn't any difference between buying from a dealer at a gunshow and going to his shop.

Oh...I'm from California and come to Va for a few days a year. I want to buy one.

Then wait till you get home and buy one.

Why?

Because you're not a resident.

But I can buy one at a Gunshow can't I?

No...there is NO loohole. You can buy it and have it shipped to an FFL in California where he'll comply with California law.

Can I buy one from an individual?

You can but it's a major crime and if you get caught, they'll put you in a cell with a 6.8 homosexual named Bubba!

If I buy it from an individual at a gunshow....it's legal then isn't it?

There is no Loophole, there is no loophole, there is no loophole. Did you catch the part where there is NO GUNSHOW LOOPHOLE.

End of discussion.

You Know, I think that fellow might have been a Bloomie!

I understand his confusion, I have many guns and my first trip to a gun show I was surprised to find out you had to get a background check at a gunshow.

I really thought there was a loophole, because you always hear about it, "the gunshow loophole", unfortunately they had the pistol I was looking for (steel Baby Eagle .45)so for the first and last time I submitted to a background check.

Any firearms in the future will be from private parties.

WalkingWolf

I have bought guns at a gun show without a background check, but then that was thirty years ago. Seems to me there was supposed to be a waiting period back then, but LEOs were exempt from the waiting period.

carolina guy

All I can figure is that the anti's are complaining about people selling to other people (in the crowd or in the parking lot). Not a whole lot that anyone can do between two consenting adults in a private transaction, eh? ;-)

Otherwise, I have not bought a gun recently at a show without the dealer running a check, and I don't recall seeing private individuals setting up a table to sell firearms as that could be a bit pricey. (*shrug*)

Marco

not surprised

Lunch meeting today and the Waitress told me the fellow at the counter had a question. I was wearing my Glock so I wondered why he thought someone so poorly armed could answer his questions.

Yep...what can I do for you?

What's the waiting time to get a gun?

There is no waiting period in Va.

That's only at Gunshows though, right?

There isn't any difference between buying from a dealer at a gunshow and going to his shop.

Oh...I'm from California and come to Va for a few days a year. I want to buy one.

Then wait till you get home and buy one.

Why?

Because you're not a resident.

But I can buy one at a Gunshow can't I?

No...there is NO loohole. You can buy it and have it shipped to an FFL in California where he'll comply with California law.

Can I buy one from an individual?

You can but it's a major crime and if you get caught, they'll put you in a cell with a 6.8 homosexual named Bubba!

If I buy it from an individual at a gunshow....it's legal then isn't it?

There is no Loophole, there is no loophole, there is no loophole. Did you catch the part where there is NO GUNSHOW LOOPHOLE.

End of discussion.

You Know, I think that fellow might have been a Bloomie!

This doesn't surprise me. We just spent the past three weeks driving from coast to cost and back and I oc'ed in every state that I legally could. The amount of incorrect info out there is sad (maddening! ).

Last edited: