Thread: Massillon Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk July 27th NEO Carry

Massillon Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk July 27th NEO Carry

NEO Carry will be holding an open carry walk through downtown Massillon on Saturday July 27th from 12:00pm-3:00pm. I will update a location to meet as soon as we have our route planned. We will allow any firearms at this event, handguns or long guns. Open carry is welcome and encouraged.

What to Bring: Your firearm, a holster (open or concealed), a sling or strap for long guns, a friend or friends! We will provide fliers to pass out. Hope to see everyone there!

If you remember all of the trouble we have been having with Massillon and their illegal ordinances, you will know that this is an important walk for us. Hopefully Mr. Chovan (Council at Large) will be able to get those changed, but we definitely felt an educational walk was in order to let the citizens of Massillon know their rights and that there are people who will stand up for those rights. We hope to see everyone there!

To RSVP on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/144234925771559/

For those of you who do not use facebook, all of this info can be found at:

http://www.neoopencarry.org/events-p...t--future.html

To view the Press Release for this walk and to help us advertise this walk:

http://www.neoopencarry.org/media--public-outreach.html
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” - Thomas Jefferson

Good stuff! I'm impressed.

Keep it up.

NEOOpenCarry:

I've marked this on my calender 15 min ago.......may be bringing 2 to 4 others with me, maybe even my two young sons........just need to know where to meet!

Don't forget that this walk will take place one week from today. I hope to see everyone there. We will have Massillon PD and FD there in support to open carry with us. Hope to see everyone there.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.indeonline.com/topstories...ve-walk?zc_p=0

Check out the article that made the front page of the Massillon Independent. We are definitely getting the word out there!

Please, whatever you guys do. NO VERTICAL VIDEO!

From the article:

...(A) city councilman referred to the open-carry walk as problematic.

“Frankly, I’m not happy I live in a society where it’s OK to have a gun on your hip,” said Larry Slagle, D-at-large. “I thought we got rid of that sort of thing after the wild, wild West.”

The Democrat said he will not come close to the city on Saturday.

“I have no intent of being near people with loaded weapons parading in downtown Massillon,” Slagle said.
    So, if we get guns allowed in government buildings, all we have to do is stand there and no anti's will show up for votes?

Cool.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Saw the article in the Independent and have to say thanks to you guys. I wasn't aware of the ordinance (even though this is my neck of the woods!) and I've open carried a couple of times without incident but sure am glad you have been working to change things.

The wife and I are thinking of joining you, but I doubt we can be there at Buffalo Wild Wings at noon. I see you are heading East on Lincoln Way, how far up are you planning on going before turning around?

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter View Post
    Saw the article in the Independent and have to say thanks to you guys. I wasn't aware of the ordinance (even though this is my neck of the woods!) and I've open carried a couple of times without incident but sure am glad you have been working to change things.

The wife and I are thinking of joining you, but I doubt we can be there at Buffalo Wild Wings at noon. I see you are heading East on Lincoln Way, how far up are you planning on going before turning around?
    We are turning around in Sippo Park and coming back up Lincoln Way

We are turning around in Sippo Park and coming back up Lincoln Way
    Great, I hope to join up with you at some point along the way.

Well rats. The rain delayed the event I was participating in this morning and by the time I got to Massillon at about 2:30 I couldn't find anybody.

Pretty good turnout and plenty of people showing their support while driving by. On to Canton.

http://www.indeonline.com/newsnow/x6...assillon-march

Quote Originally Posted by ShootinRugers View Post
    Pretty good turnout and plenty of people showing their support while driving by. On to Canton.

http://www.indeonline.com/newsnow/x6...assillon-march
    From the article:
    “They’re not a lynch mob,” Copeland said. “I’d rather see them carry on the outside than concealed.”

In other words: "Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man." -- grumpycoconut, OpenCarry.org
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaShooter
    Well rats. The rain delayed the event I was participating in this morning and by the time I got to Massillon at about 2:30 I couldn't find anybody.
    I should have told you.

These guys walk FAST.

Ima put on skates the next time I walk with them!
    Last edited by MyWifeSaidYes; 07-27-2013 at 10:31 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Well, they were talking about a 3 hour walk, and said they'd head East to Sippo - but then it turned into a 90 minute walk where they headed West. It just wasn't meant to be for me to join them, that's all.
    NRA Life Member

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Sorry about the route confusion, the park was very muddy from the rain all day, so we thought it better just to head back west and further into downtown. We called it at about 90 minutes due to the weather. It was coming down harder and harder. Hopefull better weather luck for our next walk in Canton.

Quote Originally Posted by NEOOpenCarry View Post
    Sorry about the route confusion
    No worries, weather changes things - it's what made me late in the first place. Unfortunately I'll be out of town for the Canton event, but I'll be keeping an eye out for other events in the area that I can participate in.
    NRA Life Member