• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Massillon Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk July 27th NEO Carry

NEOOpenCarry

NEO Carry will be holding an open carry walk through downtown Massillon on Saturday July 27th from 12:00pm-3:00pm. I will update a location to meet as soon as we have our route planned. We will allow any firearms at this event, handguns or long guns. Open carry is welcome and encouraged.

What to Bring: Your firearm, a holster (open or concealed), a sling or strap for long guns, a friend or friends! We will provide fliers to pass out. Hope to see everyone there!

If you remember all of the trouble we have been having with Massillon and their illegal ordinances, you will know that this is an important walk for us. Hopefully Mr. Chovan (Council at Large) will be able to get those changed, but we definitely felt an educational walk was in order to let the citizens of Massillon know their rights and that there are people who will stand up for those rights. We hope to see everyone there!

To RSVP on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/144234925771559/

For those of you who do not use facebook, all of this info can be found at:

http://www.neoopencarry.org/events-past-present--future.html

To view the Press Release for this walk and to help us advertise this walk:

http://www.neoopencarry.org/media--public-outreach.html

NEOOpenCarry

Don't forget that this walk will take place one week from today. I hope to see everyone there. We will have Massillon PD and FD there in support to open carry with us. Hope to see everyone there.

MyWifeSaidYes

From the article:

...(A) city councilman referred to the open-carry walk as problematic.

“Frankly, I’m not happy I live in a society where it’s OK to have a gun on your hip,” said Larry Slagle, D-at-large. “I thought we got rid of that sort of thing after the wild, wild West.”

The Democrat said he will not come close to the city on Saturday.

“I have no intent of being near people with loaded weapons parading in downtown Massillon,” Slagle said.

So, if we get guns allowed in government buildings, all we have to do is stand there and no anti's will show up for votes?

Cool.

JustaShooter

Saw the article in the Independent and have to say thanks to you guys. I wasn't aware of the ordinance (even though this is my neck of the woods!) and I've open carried a couple of times without incident but sure am glad you have been working to change things.

The wife and I are thinking of joining you, but I doubt we can be there at Buffalo Wild Wings at noon. I see you are heading East on Lincoln Way, how far up are you planning on going before turning around?

NEOOpenCarry

Saw the article in the Independent and have to say thanks to you guys. I wasn't aware of the ordinance (even though this is my neck of the woods!) and I've open carried a couple of times without incident but sure am glad you have been working to change things.

The wife and I are thinking of joining you, but I doubt we can be there at Buffalo Wild Wings at noon. I see you are heading East on Lincoln Way, how far up are you planning on going before turning around?

We are turning around in Sippo Park and coming back up Lincoln Way

JustaShooter

Well rats. The rain delayed the event I was participating in this morning and by the time I got to Massillon at about 2:30 I couldn't find anybody. :(

JustaShooter

Pretty good turnout and plenty of people showing their support while driving by. On to Canton.

http://www.indeonline.com/newsnow/x...activists-display-firearms-in-Massillon-march

From the article:
“They’re not a lynch mob,” Copeland said. “I’d rather see them carry on the outside than concealed.”

:D

In other words: "Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man." -- grumpycoconut, OpenCarry.org

MyWifeSaidYes

JustaShooter said:
Well rats. The rain delayed the event I was participating in this morning and by the time I got to Massillon at about 2:30 I couldn't find anybody.
sad.gif

I should have told you.

These guys walk FAST.

Ima put on skates the next time I walk with them!

Last edited:

JustaShooter

Well, they were talking about a 3 hour walk, and said they'd head East to Sippo - but then it turned into a 90 minute walk where they headed West. It just wasn't meant to be for me to join them, that's all. :banghead:

NEOOpenCarry

Sorry about the route confusion, the park was very muddy from the rain all day, so we thought it better just to head back west and further into downtown. We called it at about 90 minutes due to the weather. It was coming down harder and harder. Hopefull better weather luck for our next walk in Canton.

JustaShooter

Sorry about the route confusion
No worries, weather changes things - it's what made me late in the first place. Unfortunately I'll be out of town for the Canton event, but I'll be keeping an eye out for other events in the area that I can participate in.