• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Canton Open Carry/Firearm Education Walk August 17th

NEOOpenCarry

NEO Carry will be holding an open carry walk through downtown Canton on Saturday August 17th from 12:00pm-3:00pm. I will update a location to meet as soon as we have our route planned. We will allow any firearms at this event, handguns or long guns. Open carry is welcome and encouraged.

What to Bring: Your firearm, a holster (open or concealed), a sling or strap for long guns, a friend or friends! We will provide fliers to pass out. Hope to see everyone there!

Since the Officer Harless debacle, Canton has been pretty quiet. I'm not sure if that means they are more friendly toward firearms owners or if they are just trying to stay under the radar, but we definitely want to spread some education through Canton and get some more local involvement.

To RSVP on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/157501624434567/

For those of you who do not use facebbok, all of this can be found at:

http://www.neoopencarry.org/events-past-present--future.html

To view the Press Release for this event and to help us advertise it:

http://www.neoopencarry.org/media--public-outreach.html

eye95

When asked to leave, he should have left. Whether or not the employee who asked him to leave had the authority to do so is best resolved later.

Common sense says that, if you are wearing a mask (even with good reason--likely to avoid making whatever condition he had worse due to exposure to contagions) and carrying a gun, you will draw negative attention to yourself. Refusing to leave when asked to do so will make matters worse.

The gentleman should have left and called the store, asking for the manager.

The OC, in and of itself, cannot be IP. Add to it wearing a mask and refusing to leave when asked to do so, and you have a recipe for charges that stick. I am guessing that he will be offered a plea to some very minor charge and will accept.

BriKuz

I am all for supporting someone unlawfully detained or arrested, but the facts in this case make me believe that said OCer was violating the law as soon as he was asked to leave and refused. I will NOT support someone's actions when they are trying to deprive someone else of THEIR rights... in this case, as soon as he was asked to leave by an employee, he was violating the rights of the pharmacy owner by remaining on their property. Your right to carry in public not withstanding, once you enter a person's (either corporate or individual) property, you have to play by their rules or leave. Example, if you were to enter MY property, I would have every right to tell you to disarm or leave. A business has the same rights.

NEOOpenCarry

I am all for supporting someone unlawfully detained or arrested, but the facts in this case make me believe that said OCer was violating the law as soon as he was asked to leave and refused. I will NOT support someone's actions when they are trying to deprive someone else of THEIR rights... in this case, as soon as he was asked to leave by an employee, he was violating the rights of the pharmacy owner by remaining on their property. Your right to carry in public not withstanding, once you enter a person's (either corporate or individual) property, you have to play by their rules or leave. Example, if you were to enter MY property, I would have every right to tell you to disarm or leave. A business has the same rights.

Agreed! You also represent the entire firearm community when you open carry, wether you want to or not. When you behave like this you give us all a bad name.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Agreed! You also represent the entire firearm community when you open carry, wether you want to or not. When you behave like this you give us all a bad name.

I have heard the comment "No, I only carry for myself...yada yada....". Sorry folks, put that weapon in an exposed holster and go out in public and you are an ambassador for Open Carry and every other gun owner out there. You can be an a$$, like this young man in the drug store, or you can help us all be the "new" normal. I spent twenty minutes in a store the other day talking to the owner while my Sweet B aboo was trying clothes on. It took the owner the entire twenty minutes before she noticed my pistol. She was VERY positive and will be going to the range with us to learn how to use one.
Yes, you represent us all.

NEOOpenCarry

If you need some help with the routes for Canton and Massillon let me know what you need. I live just of of Lincoln Way in Perry Twp.

I will definitely take you up on that. Massillon is definitely most pressing right now since it is only a month away. We want to walk for about an hour and a half, and the requirements would be we have to stay at least 1000 feet away from any k-12 school. Thanks for looking into this, as I m not from the area.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I was under the impression that you had to if you did not have a chl? Most of our members do, but there are a few who just OC without a chl. Can you clarify? Thanks.
Yes, there are some here who seem to be deathly afraid of the 1,000 foot Federal law that has been overturned once by the USSC, then put back into place with supposed justification to pass scrutiny for having an effect/relation to "interstate commerce", but ask yourself: "Who is going to enforce the law?" Will the local PD get the US Attorney on the line? LOL

I think you do the cause a disservice by dancing around the "new & improved" version of a law that was so clearly struck down, but hey, it's your party.

notalawyer

Yes, there are some here who seem to be deathly afraid of the 1,000 foot Federal law that has been overturned once by the USSC, then put back into place with supposed justification to pass scrutiny for having an effect/relation to "interstate commerce", but ask yourself: "Who is going to enforce the law?" Will the local PD get the US Attorney on the line? LOL

I think you do the cause a disservice by dancing around the "new & improved" version of a law that was so clearly struck down, but hey, it's your party.

Yep, the revised statute has been used vary sparingly and only as an add-on charge to other serious criminal charges. It has never been applied to otherwise lawful activity. I'm assuming this is because they fear it will be ruled unconstitutional again.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Yep, the revised statute has been used vary sparingly and only as an add-on charge to other serious criminal charges. It has never been applied to otherwise lawful activity. I'm assuming this is because they fear it will be ruled unconstitutional again.
(my bold)

Agreed and agreed.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I have heard the comment "No, I only carry for myself...yada yada....". Sorry folks, put that weapon in an exposed holster and go out in public and you are an ambassador for Open Carry and every other gun owner out there........
Nonsense, am I to think badly of an open carrier that's wearing a black hat? After all, bad guys wear black hats. Hoping and wishing that open carriers have an attitude that reflects well on the public's perception of open carriers is surely encouraged. But, one bad apple spoils the bushel adage is far from the truth.
Have_Gun_Will_Travel.jpg

eye95

Decidedly NOT nonsense, and not even in total conflict with the opinion that you posted.

I also believe that OCers should (not must) consider how their dress and behavior will be taken by others. We here are trying to reestablish open carry as a normal behavior. That cause is not helped by behavior such as that from the masked man. So I will criticize that behavior