• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC no longer welcome at Pike Place Market

Bill Starks

State Researcher
On Sunday took the wife and grandson to the Market. Not 20 minutes into the visit I was told by Security that if I wanted to stay I would need to cover up my weapon. I told him that I would wait out on the street and was informed the market encompasses several blocks, not just the building. He was very polite through the entire process and was well informed on state law. I was informed that the Market is owned by the city but is managed by a third party and due to that formality they can restrict firearms because of the PNWSA v Sequim court case. As long as one stays concealed, no one is the wiser I was told.

In the past we have had ZERO issues at the market....I'm waiting on some info from the head of security that was requested and will post more when I get it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I would wait out on the street and was informed the market encompasses several blocks, not just the building. ... I was informed that the Market is owned by the city but is managed by a third party and due to that formality they can restrict firearms because of the PNWSA v Sequim court case. ....

Even if that latter is unfortunately correct in your state, I would double check that first part. I don't see how a public thoroughfare can be so restricted as the market itself.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
looks like I found the info I wanted, now to see how long it takes them to get me the same info......

The Pike Place Market Preservation & Development Authority (PDA) is a not-for-profit, public corporation chartered by the City of Seattle in 1973 to manage the properties in the nine-acre Market Historic District. The PDA is required to preserve, rehabilitate and protect the Market's buildings; increase opportunities for farm and food retailing in the Market; incubate and support small and marginal businesses; and provide services for low-income people.
PDA activities are governed by an all-volunteer, 12-member PDA Council. Council members serve as volunteers and are not compensated. Of the 12 members, four are appointed by the Mayor, four are elected by the Constituency, and four are appointed by the PDA Council. All Council members must be confirmed by the Seattle City Council and typically serve a four year term.
The PDA Council is the policy-making and oversight body that sets the direction for the activities of the PDA. The PDA Executive Director carries out the policies of the Council and directs the staff of the PDA. The Executive Director is appointed by and reports to the PDA Council. The PDA Council's policy-making and administrative oversight role is governed by the PDA Charter, PDA Rules and Regulations, the Historical Commission Ordinance, the Agreement with the City of Seattle for operation of the Daystalls, and City ordinances and state laws pertaining to the powers, responsibilities, and requirements of Public Development Authorities. The fundamental public purpose of the PDA is reflected in the PDA Charter. Read or download the PDA Charter.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Even if that latter is unfortunately correct in your state, I would double check that first part. I don't see how a public thoroughfare can be so restricted as the market itself.

Yes, there could be a legal fight if the issue was pushed since I was standing on a city street.

waynejr253

Its really odd that you can get stopped of OC'in and bobarino dosent :confused:

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

amlevin

Still holding to my promise

It's been years since I've set foot inside the city limits of Seattle. I intend to keep it that way too. The ground, air, and water, there are contaminated with something that causes people to become "Liberal Whacko's".

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
looks like I found the info I wanted, now to see how long it takes them to get me the same info......

The Pike Place Market Preservation & Development Authority (PDA) is a not-for-profit, public corporation chartered by the City of Seattle...

Looks like you win. I would file a FORMAL WRITTEN complaint about essentially being kicked out. The only thing that turns places and officials around is a paper trail.

Jeff Hayes

The Pike Place Market Preservation & Development Authority (PDA) is a not-for-profit, public corporation chartered by the City of Seattle in 1973 to manage the properties in the nine-acre Market Historic District. The PDA is required to preserve, rehabilitate and protect the Market's buildings; increase opportunities for farm and food retailing in the Market; incubate and support small and marginal businesses; and provide services for low-income people.
PDA activities are governed by an all-volunteer, 12-member PDA Council. Council members serve as volunteers and are not compensated. Of the 12 members, four are appointed by the Mayor, four are elected by the Constituency, and four are appointed by the PDA Council. All Council members must be confirmed by the Seattle City Council and typically serve a four year term.
The PDA Council is the policy-making and oversight body that sets the direction for the activities of the PDA. The PDA Executive Director carries out the policies of the Council and directs the staff of the PDA. The Executive Director is appointed by and reports to the PDA Council. The PDA Council's policy-making and administrative oversight role is governed by the PDA Charter, PDA Rules and Regulations, the Historical Commission Ordinance, the Agreement with the City of Seattle for operation of the Daystalls, and City ordinances and state laws pertaining to the powers, responsibilities, and requirements of Public Development Authorities. The fundamental public purpose of the PDA is reflected in the PDA Charter. Read or download the PDA Charter.

I sounds like the City of Seattle has hired the PDA to maintain the property in no way does that convey property rights, without property rights they have no authority to kick you out. This would be just like the lawn maintenance company telling you to leave the Capitol Grounds.

PNWSA only effects the tenant if you read PNWSA you will also notice that it says they may not make any rules or laws that affect the general public, since Pikes Place is open to the public without a fee they can not regulate firearms.

I sure wish we could get SAF invloved because we have the same problem in Spokane with the Public Facilities District and the Arena. I would imagine that this is on going all across the state and would be a great thing to get to court and get a decision.

Freedom1Man

You get stopped and no one ever glances at me?

I was up there on Sunday also. No problems I even flirted with a couple of gals. Said hello to some of the venders I converse with and made my purchase and left without problem.

Freedom1Man

It might have had to do with the day I attended. Sunday is a very busy day at the market whereas Bob was there on a weekday.

I must be on ignore list.

I was there the same say you were Bill Stark. I had ZERO problems. Maybe they are used to seeing me out there and know that I am not a threat though. Maybe you seem like a threat or something.

EMNofSeattle

I actually agree with Jeff Hayes for once, this seems ... not right to me... The Sequiem case dealt entirely with a private contact between a city and a shooting sports organization over a gun show, which would only be open to people authorized by the leasing party.

The Pike Place is public property. not only that, but the pike place is also positioned where it has several city maintained (albiet not that well maintained) streets and foot paths to allow access to the waterfront and to residential units and businesses not in the market itself. I think they're fully covered by preemption.

of course, you'd need someone willing to either pester the PDA until they agree to change, or willing to take this to court. or go over the PDA's head and report them to the city of seattle but good luck finding sympathy there.

The Pike Place is not a private "for profit" mall, it's a public market, owned by the public,

DocWalker

It's been years since I've set foot inside the city limits of Seattle. I intend to keep it that way too. The ground, air, and water, there are contaminated with something that causes people to become "Liberal Whacko's".

They are drinking STARBUCKS....lol Which is funny since Starbucks is OC friendly...

hermannr

I don't think the Sequim ruling will fit here, and definately not on the public streets. Have you contacted the SAF?

GreatWhiteLlama

I was pushing a stroller.... yup big threat....

Was it a Tactical Assault Stroller? :)

Tactical-Baby-Stroller-Rifle-5.jpg

Maverick9

On Sunday took the wife and grandson to the Market. Not 20 minutes into the visit I was told by Security...

Security? You mean a Mall Cop? I suppose they could tell you to get out of the market, but perhaps you can find out if they can trespass you on a public street.

...they can restrict firearms because of the PNWSA v Sequim court case. As long as one stays concealed, no one is the wiser I was told.

"As long as one stays concealed no one is the wiser", nudge, nudge, wink, wink, tells ME that they were advising you to break the law (PNWSA v Sequim) under color of (their) authority. That's BS. Did you get them saying that on your recorder?

...I'm waiting on some info from the head of security that was requested and will post more when I get it.

Good to hear. Good luck.

Last edited:

deanf

Sounds like an impromptu, unorganized, leaderless, sterile-carry tour of the market by many people who don't know each other is in order.

Last edited: