Thread: NOVA Movie theater

NOVA Movie theater

I went out to the movies today at the Rave theater in Fairfax, I've also gone to the centerville location and both have been rather favorable. The visit today I was rather surprised that both a couple of the employees not only were curious about open carry but also had several patrons interested in open carry and were surprised that there is no permit required in order to open carry in va. The interesting part was the movie manager asking to see my concealed carry permit but quickly walked away and refused to make eye contact when I pointed out that no permit is needed in the state of virginia to open carry, I also pointed out that I would much prefer to be a loyal patron of his theater as apposed to regal due to their anti carry stance.

Ugh.

"I'll tell you what, Mr. Manager. As soon as I see you ask the next 10 random people who walk through the front door to show you their DRIVER'S license, I'll be happy to tell you everything you want to know about the permit required to carry this firearm..."

A not-so-subtle attempt to intimidate.

TFred

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    A theater in Richmond wanted to check DoubleTap's purse (for counterband?). I gruffly pointed out that they were not checking anyone else's purse. Didn't allow them to touch it (CCing in purse) and we were waved through. Don't recall seeing a sign either.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I think he might of just been under the assumption of needing a permit in order to carry. Since he didn't go any further I just brushed it off and kept going

When did Cinemark start allowing guns in their establishments??????
    Last edited by W.E.G.; 06-28-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Re: NOVA Movie theater

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas A. View Post
    I think he might of just been under the assumption of needing a permit in order to carry. Since he didn't go any further I just brushed it off and kept going
    Yup, he was probably just entirely misinformed. Given the number of stories we hear on these boards of CC permit and other firearms instructors giving bad OC information I fully expect that every average citizen I meet has entirely the wrong understanding of this subject.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

And even if this were the true reason, that steams me even more. Does the guy check the drivers license of everyone who drives a car to his theater? Until he does that, there is no "excuse" for him to check for a carry permit either (even if there was one!) Not to mention, again, if there was one... he's not law enforcement. He's not entitled to demand the permit.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
    When did Cinemark start allowing guns in their establishments??????
    Theater has no signs on their locations and until they do I'll go to Rave theaters. As to the manager hopefully after the interaction he'll change for the better if not well just will add that location to a list of places I wont step foot in

Cobb in Leesburg is a great theater. I Open Carry there, for every movie I see. No issue, and no anti gun policy
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"
    -- George Washington

sadly living in the oh so wonderful state of maryland and more so montgomery county leesburg is just a bit much of a drive.

sadly living in the oh so wonderful state of maryland and more so montgomery county leesburg is just a bit much of a drive.
    True......unless you pack up and make it a one-way trip
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    Cobb in Leesburg is a great theater. I Open Carry there, for every movie I see. No issue, and no anti gun policy
    Me too.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    True......unless you pack up and make it a one-way trip
    I keep an eye out for housing down in VA, however I'm still in school, now once I'm out in two years I probably will move to VA

I keep an eye out for housing down in VA, however I'm still in school, now once I'm out in two years I probably will move to VA
    We'll keep the light on for you

It is a world of difference that you will appreciate too, I have no doubt.

Meanwhile, you might like to keep up with what is happening throughout the Commonwealth of VA by signing up for the free va-Alerts:
    http://www.vcdl.org/va-alert
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 07-02-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added

Already done. I've also been active on the MD shooters site and Maryland shall issue. The new bill going through in MD has me really disliking the state more and more

Quote Originally Posted by Walt_Kowalski View Post
    Saw small (Approx. 2-3") stickers tonight on their doors. Gunbuster red with slash depicting a revolver and a knife.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by homestar View Post
    Saw small (Approx. 2-3") stickers tonight on their doors. Gunbuster red with slash depicting a revolver and a knife.
    Wow, so Semi-Autos are good to go! Sweet!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    Wow, so Semi-Autos are good to go! Sweet!
    Hope so. But doubtful. That's what I was cc'ing. I only caught glimpse of the notice as I was leaving.

beware the artificially planted no gun signs by gungrabbers.
    might want to check with theater's policy or manager to see if they even know the stickers are there.
    *I am not a lawyer. Nothing from me shall be construed as a magic cloak of legal advice. It's ultimately your tucas that's on the line. Keep examining the law anyway. The gov't, made up of people like us, is supposed to work for us, not against us. Let's find, correct, and avoid the wrongs before they're actively used against us, or we become innocently trapped by them. We're to be the masters. Let's vigilantly keep tabs on our servants who seek to rule us.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristCrusader View Post
    beware the artificially planted no gun signs by gungrabbers.
    might want to check with theater's policy or manager to see if they even know the stickers are there.
    It's possible that's what it was. But on glancing at other doors they were in the same place on all of them.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by homestar View Post
    It's possible that's what it was. But on glancing at other doors they were in the same place on all of them.
    Local management was okay with OC.. they got pressure from corporate to put up signs.. so they did.. in hard to see and notice locations.. (which I think was done on purpose)
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    I have heard that some of the larger theaters have gunbuster signs up (don't tell me which ones because ignorance can be bliss). If the sign is in an unobtrusive location and not commonly visible, I enter with sidearm concealed. I never go out of my way to search for any signs. I have done this in several places (a mall, a theater of reknown...) and have never had a problem. But I don't like doing this for two reasons. 1) I don't like giving my money to businesses that may be of a mind to strip me of my rights and, 2) I don't like to appear that I am being devious.

Good to know there is a welcoming theater in Centreville.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!