• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NOVA Movie theater

Nicholas A.

I went out to the movies today at the Rave theater in Fairfax, I've also gone to the centerville location and both have been rather favorable. The visit today I was rather surprised that both a couple of the employees not only were curious about open carry but also had several patrons interested in open carry and were surprised that there is no permit required in order to open carry in va. The interesting part was the movie manager asking to see my concealed carry permit but quickly walked away and refused to make eye contact when I pointed out that no permit is needed in the state of virginia to open carry, I also pointed out that I would much prefer to be a loyal patron of his theater as apposed to regal due to their anti carry stance.

TFred

Ugh.

"I'll tell you what, Mr. Manager. As soon as I see you ask the next 10 random people who walk through the front door to show you their DRIVER'S license, I'll be happy to tell you everything you want to know about the permit required to carry this firearm..."

A not-so-subtle attempt to intimidate. :(

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
A theater in Richmond wanted to check DoubleTap's purse (for counterband?). I gruffly pointed out that they were not checking anyone else's purse. Didn't allow them to touch it (CCing in purse) and we were waved through. Don't recall seeing a sign either.

Nicholas A.

I think he might of just been under the assumption of needing a permit in order to carry. Since he didn't go any further I just brushed it off and kept going

arentol

I think he might of just been under the assumption of needing a permit in order to carry. Since he didn't go any further I just brushed it off and kept going

Yup, he was probably just entirely misinformed. Given the number of stories we hear on these boards of CC permit and other firearms instructors giving bad OC information I fully expect that every average citizen I meet has entirely the wrong understanding of this subject.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

TFred

And even if this were the true reason, that steams me even more. Does the guy check the drivers license of everyone who drives a car to his theater? Until he does that, there is no "excuse" for him to check for a carry permit either (even if there was one!) Not to mention, again, if there was one... he's not law enforcement. He's not entitled to demand the permit.

TFred

Nicholas A.

When did Cinemark start allowing guns in their establishments??????

Theater has no signs on their locations and until they do I'll go to Rave theaters. As to the manager hopefully after the interaction he'll change for the better if not well just will add that location to a list of places I wont step foot in

Nicholas A.

sadly living in the oh so wonderful state of maryland and more so montgomery county leesburg is just a bit much of a drive.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I keep an eye out for housing down in VA, however I'm still in school, now once I'm out in two years I probably will move to VA
We'll keep the light on for you :idea:

It is a world of difference that you will appreciate too, I have no doubt.

Meanwhile, you might like to keep up with what is happening throughout the Commonwealth of VA by signing up for the free va-Alerts:
http://www.vcdl.org/va-alert

Last edited:

Nicholas A.

Already done. I've also been active on the MD shooters site and Maryland shall issue. The new bill going through in MD has me really disliking the state more and more

ChristCrusader

beware the artificially planted no gun signs by gungrabbers.
might want to check with theater's policy or manager to see if they even know the stickers are there.

homestar

beware the artificially planted no gun signs by gungrabbers.
might want to check with theater's policy or manager to see if they even know the stickers are there.

It's possible that's what it was. But on glancing at other doors they were in the same place on all of them.