Thread: The Peoples House

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

The Peoples House

Grapeshot and I met Scouser this morning for breakfast. It wasn't his Case we were working on today though...we were up to other skulduggery.

Grapeshot was carrying as usual but I was not. Since I was on my motorcycle and had to park across the street from a homeless shelter, I decided I didn't want to leave any gun on the bike.

First we served papers on a city official. That was pretty uneventful.

Then We had to file papers at the Secretary of the Commonwealths office. Grapeshot was under the impression he could carry there until I told him he couldn't and had to pass two checkpointops. The cops working it nearly got the vapors when they saw his holster. Didn't bother Grapeshot, he just filled up two xray trays and went through.

Next I went through and had used my General Assembly ID so they were less fussy when they realized we were both lobbyists.

After that we had to go to checkpoint #2 and sign in...then on to the office where there were no other problems except they couldn't find the forms he needed.
    Last edited by peter nap; 06-25-2013 at 02:22 PM.

You clearly lead an interesting life and get to do fun things....
    NRA Life Member

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

That knee jerk reaction that some security/LEO's have to the sight of an empty, unconcealed holster has always been a head scratcher to me. The gun isn't in there, and assuming I'm not now holding the firearm in my hand(s), they should quit getting the dang vapors about it.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
    That knee jerk reaction that some security/LEO's have to the sight of an empty, unconcealed holster has always been a head scratcher to me. The gun isn't in there, and assuming I'm not now holding the firearm in my hand(s), they should quit getting the dang vapors about it.
    It makes perfect sense, if you are in LE and in a secure area.

If the gun is not in the holster, where is it? Imagine seeing an empty holster on someone in a courthouse with prisoners attending court. Did they pass a gun to an inmate? Did they dump it in the trash to be picked up later? Did they leave it in the bathroom? Drop it?

Its a security nightmare.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 06-26-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Someone has an empty holster in an area that doesn't allow firearms. Seems reasonable and appropriate to me. OTOH someone who would criminally dispose of a firearm would be mightily unusual (and stupid) to continue wearing the empty holster.

Ask a qustion, sure, get all freaky, really?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    It makes perfect sense, if you are in LE and in a secure area.

If the gun is not in the holster, where is it? Imagine seeing an empty holster on someone in a courthouse with prisoners attending court. Did they pass a gun to an inmate? Did they dump it in the trash to be picked up later? Did they leave it in the bathroom? Drop it?

Its a security nightmare.
    Might it prompt a question, sure. Although a question that the individual is under no obligation to answer. But being a reasonable person, he might choose to provide a simple answer: Can't carry in here, so I've secured it while I conduct my business.

A reasonable person would understand that the person with the holster understands the legalities/restrictions of the location as has secured his/her firearm in a lawful manner.

I cannot conceive of any other reasonable explanation in that situation. But them again I'm reasonable. Also reasonable people usually follow the law of parsimony.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    --snipped--
    Same could be said for those that have no visible empty holster...where is their gun?

Can't see that an empty holster reaches the level of RAS.

I find that an empty holster tingles their spidey senses amusing - not my intention though.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I am also forbidden to carry a cell phone into the court. So, I may leave the phone in my car, but I may also retain the cell phone holster on my belt. Should that cause security personnel to become antsy that I may have passed a cell phone to a defendant? All forbidden items are screened out at the point of entry.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Speaking of the peoples house...Delegate Todd Gilbert who is famous for putting the security screamers in their place at he GA building, just won a rifle at a turkey shoot. I like that man more all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Speaking of the peoples house...Delegate Todd Gilbert who is famous for putting the security screamers in their place at he GA building, just won a rifle at a turkey shoot. I like that man more all the time!
    Delegate Riley Ingram (R - Hopewell) won a new Jeep from a scratch ticket he bought in Emporia during the Virginia Pork Festival.
    http://www.wric.com/story/22714823/v...p-from-lottery

Don't want to comment on the "Pork"
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Same could be said for those that have no visible empty holster...where is their gun?

Can't see that an empty holster reaches the level of RAS.

I find that an empty holster tingles their spidey senses amusing - not my intention though.
    They likely brought in Union troops for security. Serve the officials when they go to the potty ... they'll never forget you after that lol.

The south will rise again !!!

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    They likely brought in Union troops for security. Serve the officials when they go to the potty ... they'll never forget you after that lol.

The south will rise again !!!
    Union troops? Virginia is a right to work state - we don't need no union. Think that they are just from north of the Ni.

The South has risen and the forecast is bright and sunny. Well maybe with a little liquid sunshine.

The goal is to get them to do the right thing and smile.......in every part of the people's house