• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Peoples House

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Grapeshot and I met Scouser this morning for breakfast. It wasn't his Case we were working on today though...we were up to other skulduggery.

Grapeshot was carrying as usual but I was not. Since I was on my motorcycle and had to park across the street from a homeless shelter, I decided I didn't want to leave any gun on the bike.

First we served papers on a city official. That was pretty uneventful.

Then We had to file papers at the Secretary of the Commonwealths office. Grapeshot was under the impression he could carry there until I told him he couldn't and had to pass two checkpointops. The cops working it nearly got the vapors when they saw his holster. Didn't bother Grapeshot, he just filled up two xray trays and went through.

Next I went through and had used my General Assembly ID so they were less fussy when they realized we were both lobbyists.

After that we had to go to checkpoint #2 and sign in...then on to the office where there were no other problems except they couldn't find the forms he needed.

Last edited:

Brian D.

That knee jerk reaction that some security/LEO's have to the sight of an empty, unconcealed holster has always been a head scratcher to me. The gun isn't in there, and assuming I'm not now holding the firearm in my hand(s), they should quit getting the dang vapors about it.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
That knee jerk reaction that some security/LEO's have to the sight of an empty, unconcealed holster has always been a head scratcher to me. The gun isn't in there, and assuming I'm not now holding the firearm in my hand(s), they should quit getting the dang vapors about it.

It makes perfect sense, if you are in LE and in a secure area.

If the gun is not in the holster, where is it? Imagine seeing an empty holster on someone in a courthouse with prisoners attending court. Did they pass a gun to an inmate? Did they dump it in the trash to be picked up later? Did they leave it in the bathroom? Drop it?

Its a security nightmare.

Last edited:

paramedic70002

Someone has an empty holster in an area that doesn't allow firearms. Seems reasonable and appropriate to me. OTOH someone who would criminally dispose of a firearm would be mightily unusual (and stupid) to continue wearing the empty holster.

Ask a qustion, sure, get all freaky, really?

notalawyer

It makes perfect sense, if you are in LE and in a secure area.

If the gun is not in the holster, where is it? Imagine seeing an empty holster on someone in a courthouse with prisoners attending court. Did they pass a gun to an inmate? Did they dump it in the trash to be picked up later? Did they leave it in the bathroom? Drop it?

Its a security nightmare.

Might it prompt a question, sure. Although a question that the individual is under no obligation to answer. But being a reasonable person, he might choose to provide a simple answer: Can't carry in here, so I've secured it while I conduct my business.

A reasonable person would understand that the person with the holster understands the legalities/restrictions of the location as has secured his/her firearm in a lawful manner.

I cannot conceive of any other reasonable explanation in that situation. But them again I'm reasonable. Also reasonable people usually follow the law of parsimony.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

Same could be said for those that have no visible empty holster...where is their gun?

Can't see that an empty holster reaches the level of RAS.

I find that an empty holster tingles their spidey senses amusing - not my intention though.

USNA69

I am also forbidden to carry a cell phone into the court. So, I may leave the phone in my car, but I may also retain the cell phone holster on my belt. Should that cause security personnel to become antsy that I may have passed a cell phone to a defendant? All forbidden items are screened out at the point of entry.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Speaking of the peoples house...Delegate Todd Gilbert who is famous for putting the security screamers in their place at he GA building, just won a rifle at a turkey shoot. I like that man more all the time!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

davidmcbeth

Banned
Same could be said for those that have no visible empty holster...where is their gun?

Can't see that an empty holster reaches the level of RAS.

I find that an empty holster tingles their spidey senses amusing - not my intention though.

They likely brought in Union troops for security. Serve the officials when they go to the potty ... they'll never forget you after that lol.

The south will rise again !!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They likely brought in Union troops for security. Serve the officials when they go to the potty ... they'll never forget you after that lol.

The south will rise again !!!
Union troops? Virginia is a right to work state - we don't need no union. Think that they are just from north of the Ni.

The South has risen and the forecast is bright and sunny. Well maybe with a little liquid sunshine.

The goal is to get them to do the right thing and smile.......in every part of the people's house :)