• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC vs CC, its a matter of,

3FULLMAGS+1

And probably more so...... depending on how you conceal the gun, .....know a fellow who carry's a small 5 shot 22. mag in his pocket, we target shoot together, now and then, anyhow, we decided to see how much slower he was at getting a first shot off(I carry an XDs openly on my right side), well I took the liberty of taking as many shots as I could before he fired his first shot.....I ended up with 4 shots taken, taking a 5th shot about the same time he took his first, hitting my target all 5 times(targets were only 20' away)......anyway, he knows now just how slow he is at getting his gun OUT of his pocket compared to carrying a firearm openly with nothing in your way. I don't think this (entertaining) exersize will change his mind about how he carry's but at least he's aware of the issues he has with concealing his gun the way he does. Just another reason to carry openly, I'd say!

Kopis

i concur. I live in a CC state but it's only ten minutes from OC (TN). i carry a crossbreed most of the time but every time i practice a draw, i snag it or my hand on my shirt probably 75% of the time or more.

WalkingWolf

And probably more so...... depending on how you conceal the gun, .....know a fellow who carry's a small 5 shot 22. mag in his pocket, we target shoot together, now and then, anyhow, we decided to see how much slower he was at getting a first shot off(I carry an XDs openly on my right side), well I took the liberty of taking as many shots as I could before he fired his first shot.....I ended up with 4 shots taken, taking a 5th shot about the same time he took his first, hitting my target all 5 times(targets were only 20' away)......anyway, he knows now just how slow he is at getting his gun OUT of his pocket compared to carrying a firearm openly with nothing in your way. I don't think this (entertaining) exersize will change his mind about how he carry's but at least he's aware of the issues he has with concealing his gun the way he does. Just another reason to carry openly, I'd say!

Yea but he has the element of surprise. :lol:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Let he w/o stones cast the first sin.

By and large OCers are more of the "it is your choice" crowd - wish that were universal.

I can assure you that I'm not going to be casting any stones. I have written many times on other gun websites about this very topic. My take is very simple and clear. I celebrate and fully support both modes of carry. Period. There are times when I chose to conceal my sidearm, such as when I deem it to be in my better interests at some given place or event. To be biased, as I see many others most of whom are CC'ers, would be hypocritical.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I can assure you that I'm not going to be casting any stones. I have written many times on other gun websites about this very topic. My take is very simple and clear. I celebrate and fully support both modes of carry. Period. There are times when I chose to conceal my sidearm, such as when I deem it to be in my better interests at some given place or event. To be biased, as I see many others most of whom are CC'ers, would be hypocritical.

No personal slight was intended.

3FULLMAGS+1

Walkingwolf:

He has the element of surprise alright but it may be to HIS surprise, not the BG.

Not that I'm against cc in some instances, but pocket carrying a gun is just not for me!

If I have to conceal, I'll wear a light vest over it, I don't want to have to "dig" for it, anyway, that's my $.02

Mattimusmaximus

I enjoy the positive interactions when I OC as well as its so much easier to draw when needed. I have many people 9-1 say that they feel safer when I OC cause they know its there verses some other random guy with a CC ... Don't know why? But I OC because its easy for me :)

-Matt of Hillsboro OR-

KBCraig

LOL, I was going to say the same thing.

Every CC-only "element of surprise" argument I hear always seems based on some particular fantasy of seeing something bad about to go down, then getting in position to stop it. I'm always struck that those making the argument aren't carrying for self defense, they're carrying to play Batman.

Personally, I don't care how someone else carries. I carry both ways depending on the legal and social environment, and I have my reasons for generally preferring OC, but I won't say the CC folks are somehow wrong, or "ruining it for the rest of us". I simply find their arguments silly and unconvincing.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
LOL, I was going to say the same thing.

Every CC-only "element of surprise" argument I hear always seems based on some particular fantasy of seeing something bad about to go down, then getting in position to stop it. I'm always struck that those making the argument aren't carrying for self defense, they're carrying to play Batman.

Personally, I don't care how someone else carries. I carry both ways depending on the legal and social environment, and I have my reasons for generally preferring OC, but I won't say the CC folks are somehow wrong, or "ruining it for the rest of us". I simply find their arguments silly and unconvincing.
Therein rests the light sarcasm of WalkingWolf's reply, complete with the laughing emoticon.