• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ak pistol oc

standup

Okay, got it. Franz Kafka situation.

For the record my edc is a cz75b. I oc everyday.

I am a part of the grand normalization. I have changed the opinions of my family, friends and co workers.

I do not own the above mentioned pistol, nor ever intend to edc with one.

Please understand that asking questions is not acting foolishly or illegally or undermining the purpose of this site.

Curiosity killed the cat.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
.......I am a part of the grand normalization. I have changed the opinions of my family, friends and co workers.

Please understand that asking questions is not acting foolishly or illegally or undermining the purpose of this site....

No question is ever wrong. Unanswered questions can get us all nervous and itchy so ask away mate. You are doing well with family and friends.

rapgood

Why do I say this? Simple... Because, quite frankly, the written law on OC is vague, and there is almost no case law on the subject, so it remains vague.

As an example, last I heard anyway, a guy in Vancouver was convicted for OC' ing near a store that had been robbed at gun point the day before. That may be overturned by now, or in the future, but even if it is, he will never get back the years of headaches it caused him.
I respectfully disagree. I believe that the case law on open carry in Washington (vis-a-vis RCW 9.41.270) is quite clear, as slapmonkey describes briefly above and as I address below. (BTW - The last I checked, Josh's conviction in Vancouver was not overturned. Too bad, and someone please correct me if I'm mistaken. I would have liked to argue that appeal.)

State v Casad isn't published so it doesn't help.
Chan v Seattle is focused more on preemption and really doesn't flesh out OC much at all.
State v Spencer is frustrating because while it does basically say OC is definitely legal, it also basically amounts to saying that your OC intent is less important than others perception of your intent. Thus actually reinforcing my point that if others think your manner of carry warrants alarm then you may be in trouble regardless. It also makes it clear that the state believes OC of larger and "scary looking" firearms is less legal than that of smaller "safe looking" firearms.
State v. Maciolek actually narrowly constrains what "warrants alarm" means. It's just that many LEOs and a disheartening number of courts just plain don't like the holding in that case.

One thing here that is very important, the difference between "Warrants" alarm and "Causes" alarm.
If someone freaks out every time they see a tennis ball, is that a reasonable fear? I would say NO. therefore it is "causing" alarm. On the other hand if that was a reasonable fear, then it could be "Warranting" alarm.
Big difference.
Although Casad is an unpublished opinion, the reasoning by that court is instructive. There, the court observed that, and as Casad's attorney argued, seeing someone walking down the street with a rifle might be "shocking," but without more, it doesn't rise to "warranting alarm." This is, essentially, what the Maciolek court held (just not in so many words).

Court ruling, No. 35333-4-II State v. Casad.
Stave v. Casad
The court found that “several individuals have commented that they would find it strange, maybe shocking, to see a man carrying a gun down the street in broad daylight. Casad’s appellate counsel conceded that she would personally react with shock, but she emphasized that an individual’s lack of comfort with firearms does not equate to reasonable alarm. We Agree. It is not unlawful for a person to responsibly walk down the street with a visible firearm, even if this action would shock some people.”

Court ruling, 101 Wn.2d 259, STATE v. MACIOLEK, the court held:
State v. Maciolek
"If a weapon is displayed in a manner, under circumstances and at a time and place so that it poses a threat to another person, such a display would warrant alarm for the safety of another. Thus, narrowly construing the phrase to apply to only conduct that poses a threat to others gives the phrase a narrow and definite focus and saves it from vagueness."

Court ruling, 75 Wn. App. 118, State v. Spencer (Not Published):
State v. Spencer
The court found that the 9.41.270 statue (referenced in Section 9, as its authority), “only prohibits the carrying or displaying of weapons when objective circumstances would warrant alarm in a reasonable person.” Further it states, “the Legislature’s use of the word ‘warrants’ in the statue implies that there must be a sufficient objective basis for the alarm, i.e., circumstances must be such that a reasonable person would be alarmed.”
(actually, Spencer is a published opinion).

The case closest to being on point with the open carry of an "assault rifle" is Spencer where Mr. Spencer was walking in a residential neighborhood at night while carrying his rifle in a “hostile, assaultive type manner with the weapon ready.” Similarly, in State v. Baggett, Mr. Baggett held a rifle at hip level, with the barrel pointing toward a police officer (what an idiot). State v. Baggett,103 Wn. App. 564, 566 (2000).
In both cases, the defendants did something more than merely carry the weapons. I submit that the mere carry of a slung AR pistol, while perhaps shocking to some, is perfectly legal in Washington.

If the OP gets arrested for merely carrying a slung weapon not in hand, I'll defend him without fee. That said, I discourage it as that type of carry simply invites trouble. Stick to a holstered weapon.

However, I do believe that this site is the appropriate place to pose the question. We all learn from the dialogue by expanding the scope of our focus in new directions related to the stated forum intent.

arentol

State vs. Maciolek is less helpful than it looks as all it seems to say is that a law that is pretty obviously too vague is not too vague. It takes it from "warrants" to "threatens", but what two different people consider threatening can be very different, which is precisely the same problem we had with "warrants".

We still need definitive case law that says if you are just walking down the street with a pistol in your holster then you can never, ever, be bothered for it, let alone convicted as in the Vancouver case I mentioned earlier....

Don't anyone get me wrong by what I an saying here btw. I don't OC often, but I do it when I can because it is legal and I prefer it to CC. I also encourage others to do so if they show interest. I am just stating that Washington law on this is frustratingly incomplete so there is a small risk with OC.... A risk that there shouldn't be, but that there still is.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

State vs. Maciolek is less helpful than it looks as all it seems to say is that a law that is pretty obviously too vague is not too vague. It takes it from "warrants" to "threatens", but what two different people consider threatening can be very different, which is precisely the same problem we had with "warrants".

We still need definitive case law that says if you are just walking down the street with a pistol in your holster then you can never, ever, be bothered for it, let alone convicted as in the Vancouver case I mentioned earlier....

Don't anyone get me wrong by what I an saying here btw. I don't OC often, but I do it when I can because it is legal and I prefer it to CC. I also encourage others to do so if they show interest. I am just stating that Washington law on this is frustratingly incomplete so there is a small risk with OC.... A risk that there shouldn't be, but that there still is.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Rule of lenity.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

EMNofSeattle

EMNofSeattle

Doesn't fit the OCDO template either.

Although if the AK pistol were carried with an AWB compliant 5 round mag that sits flush with the bottom of the reciever it would appear simply to be a long pistol and not an assault rifle. So if a nice long scabbard was made for that it would probably not attract much more attention then carrying an 8 or 9 inch competition revolver

rapgood

I think that you misapprehend Maciolek (which must be read in concert with Spencer).

State v. Spencer, 75 Wn. App. 118, 126 (1994), 876 P.2d 939 (1994), review denied, 125 Wn.2d 1015 (1995) (“a reasonable person standard is incorporated into the phrase ‘warrants alarm’”). RCW 9.41.270 must narrowly be construed such that the phrase “warrants alarm for the safety others” applies only to conduct that poses a threat to others, thus giving the phrase a narrow and definite focus. State v. Maciolek, 101 Wn.2d at 268 (“If a weapon is displayed in a manner, under circumstances and at a time and place so that it poses a threat to another person, such a display would warrant alarm for the safety of another.”)(Emphasis added). Such construction is also consistent with the statute’s purpose, which is to prevent someone from displaying dangerous weapons with intent to intimidate members of the public. House Journal, 41st Legislature (1969), at 201.

The 'reasonable person' standard is an objective standard. You are arguing a subjective standard when you say "what two different people consider threatening can be very different..." A subjective standard is inapposite to the holding in Spencer.

Rule of lenity.
Yep. That, too.