• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what does violence look like

YoungGunz

I saw this (the video, not the article) on Facebook when I got up yesterday. There really aren't words to describe the rage that I felt. It never ceases to amaze me how much hate and violence are present in our world. It is a sad fact, but it is the reality of human society. If you aren't prepared to defend yourself or your loved ones, this could easily be you. Good link.

g21sfpistol

Banned
I saw this (the video, not the article) on Facebook when I got up yesterday. There really aren't words to describe the rage that I felt. It never ceases to amaze me how much hate and violence are present in our world. It is a sad fact, but it is the reality of human society. If you aren't prepared to defend yourself or your loved ones, this could easily be you. Good link.

its gut wrenching. i would like to hear joe bidens advice on this situation. whats f-ed up is the situation could have been worse. her or the child could be dead or raped. nice photo by the way. didnt even notice any guns for the first 10 minutes i was looking at the pic.

Last edited:

zack991

Don't worry some moronic judge will let him off with a light sentence because of his poor child hood. People with simple possession will get a tougher sentence.

Last edited:

cteaglesfan

Don't worry some moronic judge will let him off with a light sentence because of his poor child hood. People with simple possession will get a tougher sentence.

I was waiting on it!!! Let's leave race and social economic issues out of this and say the act was horrible and that 'person' deserves the full weight of the law!!!

eye95

I stand corrected. The act was horrible, if the perp grew up rich poor or otherwise. The comment was unecessary.

You might want to explore your thinking that led you to bring race into the conversation.

It is possible that that kind of thinking, from you and others, is actually helping to keep a shrinking group of real racists going. Some just won't let go of that thinking as it justifies their very existence and/or their world view. I hope that you are not one of them.

Moving on.

On ninja edit: I am preserving the comment that provoked another to inject race into this convo and his injection of race. Please note that nowhere in first the post is race mentioned or even implied. Nor is the poster even stating that the "poor child hood" is referring to poverty. Clearly the comment is lamenting the court system's propensity to ignore real thugs because of some perceived hardship they experienced, but won't think twice about running nonviolent offenders through the mill. Y'all make up your own minds what just happened here in these two posts.

I was waiting on it!!! [emphasis mine] Let's leave race and social economic issues out of this and say the act was horrible and that 'person' deserves the full weight of the law!!!

Last edited:

cteaglesfan

You might want to explore your thinking that led you to bring race into the conversation.

It is possible that that kind of thinking, from you and others, is actually helping to keep a shrinking group of real racists going. Some just won't let go of that thinking as it justifies their very existence and/or their world view. I hope that you are not one of them.

Moving on.

I said 'race' because of the comment made. Why would he assume he grew up poor?? There was nothing in the video that told you he grew up poor. The man didn't scream 'i'm doing this because i'm destitute'. The poster made a weak assumption based on the man's race, So he did bring race into it!!

Moving on :lol:

cteaglesfan

Let's just say the act was horrible and there isn't one person alive who didn't think about what they would do to that man if it was their family.

I'd like to believe we can agree on THAT.

OC for ME

Offending post.

I said 'race' because of the comment made. Why would he assume he grew up poor?? There was nothing in the video that told you he grew up poor. The man didn't scream 'i'm doing this because i'm destitute'. The poster made a weak assumption based on the man's race, So he did bring race into it!!

The "offending post" clearly referred to the legal system via a reference to a moronic judge and the often used tactic by defense attorneys to raise up the specter of a disadvantaged past for the perp in order garner sympathy for the perp from a potential jury, and not the perp in the OP. Your indignation and angst is misplaced.

cteaglesfan

Offending post.

The "offending post" clearly referred to the legal system via a reference to a moronic judge and the often used tactic by defense attorneys to raise up the specter of a disadvantaged past for the perp in order garner sympathy for the perp from a potential jury, and not the perp in the OP. Your indignation and angst is misplaced.

It could have been put a little differently, and maybe I came off wrong to the the poster, and for that I am apologizing. But one never really knows anyone's true intentions.

As a soldier I was taught to look for enemy both in your face and hidden, especially hidden. As a black man I was also taught to look for racism the exact same way.

I truly hope you can be empathic to what I'm saying but maybe I was a little too quick on the draw here.

OC for ME

It could have been put a little differently, and maybe I came off wrong to the the poster, and for that I am apologizing. But one never really knows anyone's true intentions.

As a soldier I was taught to look for enemy both in your face and hidden, especially hidden. As a black man I was also taught to look for racism the exact same way.

I truly hope you can be empathic to what I'm saying but maybe I was a little too quick on the draw here.
I was taught to be respectful of my fellow citizen. If you look for racism you may very well find racism even though racism may not actually be manifest. If racism exits it will be quite evident for all to see.

eye95

That you were a little to quick on the draw is no minor problem. You saw a reference to race where there was none. That, IMO, is the primary problem with race in the US today. It is what is keeping us from becoming "post-racial."

Again, I beg of you, examine your thought processes in this matter. It wasn't just too quick. I recommend some small, but critical, rewiring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

cteaglesfan

That you were a little to quick on the draw is no minor problem. You saw a reference to race where there was none. That, IMO, is the primary problem with race in the US today. It is what is keeping us from becoming "post-racial."

Again, I beg of you, examine your thought processes in this matter. It wasn't just too quick. I recommend some small, but critical, rewiring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

LOL, racism is keeping us from being 'post racial'

Thanks for your unwanted advice but i'm wired just fine.

eye95

LOL, racism is keeping us from being 'post racial'

Thanks for your unwanted advice but i'm wired just fine.

No, your seeing racism where there is not is the kind of thing that is keeping us from being post-racial. Well, I guess that is a form of racism.

Anyway, I tried. Moving on.

arentol

I actually didn't interpret the statement that way at all. The exact statement in question was "...because of his poor child hood."

To me that seems like a pretty clear a reference to the quality of the childhood, not the wealth of the childhood. (How can a childhood even be poor from a wealth perspective? People, families, organizations, businesses etc. are capable of having or not having wealth, but a childhood? It isn't an entity and so can not have wealth).

It also makes sense when you think about it. You don't go in front of a judge and describe the wealth of your clients family except in reference to how it affected the quality of the clients childhood:

So you don't say "Your honor, my client grew up in a happy stable home. Yeah, he was poor because his parents made minimum wage their whole lives and one of them was frequently out of work, but dangit, they still managed to make a decent life for their child and that is why you should go easy on him."

Instead, you go to the judge and say "Your honor, you should go easy on my client because his childhood was a nightmare. Sure, his family was wealthy, but that just allowed his mother to drink and pop pills constantly. This resulted in her not noticing that her lazy brother, that lived with them, was sexually abusing my client almost every day of his young life. As a result of this my client became fat and was bullied in school and verbally abused and regularly beaten by his father. He had nobody in his young life to turn to for help. This poor childhood is why he has done this horrible act of which he was found guilty. Please consider this and be lenient in your sentencing."

As you see, what you use to get sympathy is not the level of wealth itself, but rather the quality of life that results from that wealth (or lack of wealth). This, plus the inherent grammatical error that would be required to interpret it your way, is why I think it was always about quality, not wealth.